The difference between UConn and everybody else. | The Boneyard

The difference between UConn and everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The difference between UConn and everybody else is not so much the players but the players mindset. They are all on the same page. They are like the military going into combat. Its not about who they've lost, who they didn't get its about disicipline, and making a total commitment. If you've noticed Geno can plug players into positions and UConn doesn't miss a beat. Yes I agree you may not have the same level of athletic ability or qualities but each individual player has strengths and weakness's and its those things that Geno coaches to the best of their ability. You have players who have off days and players who contribute in different ways and you adjust for that.

Looking at opponents over the past season. UConn played teams with height, with stars who could score and do everything and UConn still won. UConn proved that by having KML and Tuck do down and beat 5 nationally ranked teams and it wasn't even close and most of those games on the road. The difference...mindset.

You've read that Geno has said he is looking for a certain type girl to play for UConn. That recruit can not upset the attitude and chemistry of the team. That to me is huge in being successful. No distractions.

I think the key to UConns recruiting this season to me is Natalie Butler. She imo could be a very dominate player in WCBB, and First Team All American and with Geno and UConns coaching she could attain that level...if she wants it. To me from reading the articles she has the right attitude, drive, willingness to learn and commitment. Now she needs the best coaching and UConn provides that. Surround her with the right players and she will be the difference. We don't need all the top players but we need a few. IMO Natalie Butler has the "fire of desire" and because of that I think she will choose UConn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

I think you're essentially correct as always
Another item to take into account is growth on the staff; especially Marisa and Shea.
The inside game was increasingly dominant as the season progressed and the guard play outstanding from day 1.
And the team was on he same page from the get-go, injuries and all.
Geno and the staff had a really, really great year.
And with multiple responsibilities again on the horizon, this summer and fall,
It's comforting to know, just how much this group has emerged.

Watch out for Marisa; she'll be on the radar for a head coaching position soon and I expect her to excel.

Reaction Score
Everybody else is also on the same page, but wrong chapter...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have a bit of a contrary view. For starters, look at UCONN over the past 5 seasons. NC's by year...

2010 UCONN
2011 aTm
2012 Baylor
2013 UCONN
2014 UCONN

So yeah, there is a "difference" between UCONN and everyone else. BUT a big part of that difference is UCONN has consistently had at least 2 players on each team who were # 1/2 in their respective classes. In 2010, they had Tina and Maya. In 2011, Maya was the only #1 player on the roster. 2012 Maya had graduated, but KML was only a freshman. 2013 had KML and Stewie (not to mention Jefferson) and the same goes for 2014.

For 2015, again, it will be KML, Stewie and Mo Jett. BUT after KML leaves, since UCONN missed out on Deshields/Davis/Russell, and then again on Wilson, UCONN will "only" have Stewie and Jefferson as #1/2 recruits. My point is that Geno wins mostly when he has a pair of #1/2 players on his team surrounded with a bunch of other really good players.

Now you look at a team like SC. They already landed Wilson, Add in Deshields (if they land her) and suddenly 2-3 years down the road UCONN is looking at a team with more elite talent than we have. This is why Durr/Samuelson (2015) and Cox (2016) are so important. Of course UCONN will be one of the elite teams in the nation once Stewie/Jefferson graduate. BUT to imply that we are so much better because our coaching is better and our chemistry is better is untrue IMHO.

And for the record, I agree that we do have the best coaching and the best fitness program in the nation for our players. And I also agree that we usually have the best chemistry. And yes you can look at Baylor and say "But they had Griner and Simms for 3 years together and only won 1 NC. True, but the NC they won was when Griner was junior and Simms a sophomore. They were the favorites to win the following year as well but collapsed under the L'ville 3-point onslaught. Geno even admitted that UCONN was not the best team that year.

My overall point is that look at the NC's that UCONN has won and look at the best players in the nation on their teams...

1995 - Lobo, Rizotti, Sales
2000 - Bird, Sveta, and Swin, Asjha, Tamika
2002 - Bird, 3-headed monster, Diana
2003 - Diana and Annie Strother
2004 - again Diana and Annie
2009 - Tina and Maya
2010 - Tina and Maya
2013 - Stewie, KML, Jefferson
2014 - Stewie, KML, Jefferson

Would UCONN be a final 4 team if they had NO number 1/2 recruits on the roster? Probably because a UCONN team that has 5-6 top 10 kids is going to be really really good. BUT I guess my overall point is that UCONN is so good in part because they continually attract the #1 and/or #2 kids in their respective classes on a VERY frequent basis. Without them, UCONN IMHO is "only" another really good team with a great shot at making a final 4...

Reaction Score
I used ericsandiego's view but went back a little farther to get a bigger view. Since 2000, "UCONN" has won 8 National Championships and "everybody else" won 7 National Championships so it looks as though UCONN has a slight edge on "everybody else" over the last 15 seasons. :)

9 AND COUNTING

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member