The Deuce | The Boneyard

The Deuce

Reaction Score
Didn't know what to think of it going into the Pilot, as I hadn't heard about it at all, but it is pretty entertaining and has some diverse character storylines. Woulda preferred James Franco didn't play both himself and his brother though, it's pretty corny.

Reaction Score
Saw the cast and the producers (namely David Simon of The Wire) and was highly intrigued, do intend on checking it out eventually.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Didn't know what to think of it going into the Pilot, as I hadn't heard about it at all, but it is pretty entertaining and has some diverse character storylines. Woulda preferred James Franco didn't play both himself and his brother though, it's pretty corny.

That is corny. I also think Maggie Gyllenhal is a little too elegant to pull off being a prostitute. I am not a huge fan of hers to begin with, and I think her range is fairly narrow.

I did like the story thought, and I am willing to give it a shot.

Reaction Score
Ditto on James Franco, I don't know if it's just him as an actor or what but every time they do the twin brother interaction scenes it feels like an SNL skit or something gimmicky, hopefully they kill off one of them this season. You can kind of see where the story is going just based off of Simon's other work, but the set design/CGI old NYC is very cool to watch. Plus its pimps, prostitutes and the Mafia, this one should be just a lob over the plate for HBO.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is corny. I also think Maggie Gyllenhal is a little too elegant to pull off being a prostitute. I am not a huge fan of hers to begin with, and I think her range is fairly narrow.

I did like the story thought, and I am willing to give it a shot.

Agree on not a fan. Disagree on elegant. Seems to me she's a prostitute in almost all her movies. It's her perfect role.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, the double role thing was lame. No need. Franco's a weird f@#$er though so I'm not surprised.

Only time I've really liked it in recent memory was Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany absolutely crushed it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the double role thing was lame. No need. Franco's a weird f@#$er though so I'm not surprised.

Only time I've really liked it in recent memory was Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany absolutely crushed it.

Orphan Black was great in its first year or two. Then it was just okay IMO. Seemed to make some stuff up as it went. But Tatiana really is impressive. Each character really felt like a different person. It was so nuanced in some episodes, also. Like when she had to parade through Felix's showing as different clones, and even more so when she would impersonate another clone but deliberately mess it up just a bit to show it was a different clone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Orphan Black was great in its first year or two. Then it was just okay IMO. Seemed to make some stuff up as it went. But Tatiana really is impressive. Each character really felt like a different person. It was so nuanced in some episodes, also. Like when she had to parade through Felix's showing as different clones, and even more so when she would impersonate another clone but deliberately mess it up just a bit to show it was a different clone.

Agreed on all counts. I was really really impressed because I felt like it was almost a different actor each time. And you just kinda knew when one came onscreen who it was (body language), or when you are listening to her voice. Obviously clothes/hair are a giveaway, I'm just talking about presence.

Absolutely loved Felix, perfect comedic/serious foil. Genuinely funny. Thinking on it, the acting overall was pretty damn good.

The story-line suffered in the middle seasons, but I thought it got a little better towards the end, once they worked clumsily through the story line. The show suffered precisely because it was popular. They extended it further than they probably first planned--the 'Lost' effect.

All in all, I was happy to watch it to the end, and the story's conclusion was satisfying.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty well sucked in now with episode 3 which was a lot better than episode 2 which had me thinking about pulling out before I got the clap. The cops/mafia/Gyllenhal/collegechick plotlines are all interesting to me. I do hope they kill the stupid twin though, its comic relief only and we ignore him just like his brother tries to.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm pretty well sucked in now with episode 3 which was a lot better than episode 2 which had me thinking about pulling out before I got the clap. The cops/mafia/Gyllenhal/collegechick plotlines are all interesting to me. I do hope they kill the stupid twin though, its comic relief only and we ignore him just like his brother tries to.

LOL. I haven't watched again since episode 2. I will give it another shot.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
LOL. I haven't watched again since episode 2. I will give it another shot.

its worth it just for the gyllenhall cream of mushroom soup scene.

Reaction Score
Love it. It has the very same slow moving grind feel as The Wire. We were late to the party with The Wire, so I can't say if you "knew" it would be as good as it was in 2 episodes. But I think this is the same style and done very, very well. The two Franco characters is definitely weird, but whatever.

Just like The Wire, I'm trying figure out how it all intersects in the end.

Reaction Score
is anyone still watching this? did it get canceled?

Reaction Score
Got really good in my opinion by end of season 1, definitely found a rhythm

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom