The Deuce

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by CardiacAndre7, Sep 20, 2017.

1. CardiacAndre7

CardiacAndre7

Didn't know what to think of it going into the Pilot, as I hadn't heard about it at all, but it is pretty entertaining and has some diverse character storylines. Woulda preferred James Franco didn't play both himself and his brother though, it's pretty corny.

John and Rocktheworld like this.
  2. Rocktheworld

Rocktheworld Posting on the Boneyard is Fun Again

Saw the cast and the producers (namely David Simon of The Wire) and was highly intrigued, do intend on checking it out eventually.

CardiacAndre7 likes this.
  3. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

That is corny. I also think Maggie Gyllenhal is a little too elegant to pull off being a prostitute. I am not a huge fan of hers to begin with, and I think her range is fairly narrow.

I did like the story thought, and I am willing to give it a shot.

4. manbyrd

manbyrd

Ditto on James Franco, I don't know if it's just him as an actor or what but every time they do the twin brother interaction scenes it feels like an SNL skit or something gimmicky, hopefully they kill off one of them this season. You can kind of see where the story is going just based off of Simon's other work, but the set design/CGI old NYC is very cool to watch. Plus its pimps, prostitutes and the Mafia, this one should be just a lob over the plate for HBO.

nelsonmuntz likes this.
  5. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Hoping to see something that looks like basketball

Agree on not a fan. Disagree on elegant. Seems to me she's a prostitute in almost all her movies. It's her perfect role.

6. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Yeah, the double role thing was lame. No need. Franco's a weird f@#$er though so I'm not surprised.

Only time I've really liked it in recent memory was Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany absolutely crushed it.

Chuck likes this.
  7. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

The second episode was not nearly as strong. I will give it 4.

HuskyInAtlanta likes this.
  8. Chuck

Chuck

Orphan Black was great in its first year or two. Then it was just okay IMO. Seemed to make some stuff up as it went. But Tatiana really is impressive. Each character really felt like a different person. It was so nuanced in some episodes, also. Like when she had to parade through Felix's showing as different clones, and even more so when she would impersonate another clone but deliberately mess it up just a bit to show it was a different clone.

J187Money and intlzncster like this.
  9. intlzncster

Agreed on all counts. I was really really impressed because I felt like it was almost a different actor each time. And you just kinda knew when one came onscreen who it was (body language), or when you are listening to her voice. Obviously clothes/hair are a giveaway, I'm just talking about presence.

Absolutely loved Felix, perfect comedic/serious foil. Genuinely funny. Thinking on it, the acting overall was pretty damn good.

The story-line suffered in the middle seasons, but I thought it got a little better towards the end, once they worked clumsily through the story line. The show suffered precisely because it was popular. They extended it further than they probably first planned--the 'Lost' effect.

All in all, I was happy to watch it to the end, and the story's conclusion was satisfying.

Chuck likes this.
  10. Dogdeacon

Dogdeacon

I'm pretty well sucked in now with episode 3 which was a lot better than episode 2 which had me thinking about pulling out before I got the clap. The cops/mafia/Gyllenhal/collegechick plotlines are all interesting to me. I do hope they kill the stupid twin though, its comic relief only and we ignore him just like his brother tries to.

11. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

LOL. I haven't watched again since episode 2. I will give it another shot.

12. August_West

August_West

its worth it just for the gyllenhall cream of mushroom soup scene.

13. Deadrody

Deadrody

Love it. It has the very same slow moving grind feel as The Wire. We were late to the party with The Wire, so I can't say if you "knew" it would be as good as it was in 2 episodes. But I think this is the same style and done very, very well. The two Franco characters is definitely weird, but whatever.

Just like The Wire, I'm trying figure out how it all intersects in the end.

August_West likes this.
  14. John

John Mr. Meme

is anyone still watching this? did it get canceled?

15. intlzncster

Season 2 filming now.

16. Dogdeacon

Dogdeacon

Got really good in my opinion by end of season 1, definitely found a rhythm