The Deion Sanders factor... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Deion Sanders factor...

Reaction Score
I like him and wish him the best but I think his biggest opponent will be those, connected or not to U of C, that get a little (or a lot) upset the more he brings God into the locker room and on to the field.

Reaction Score
Almost begs the question, is it better to "clean house" or keep them around to crap on after every blowout?

Reaction Score
Different era and it's RE so whatever, but remember when the CFB world wanted a juicy story line, because a kid didn't fit in the new coaches program? Interesting how narratives get flipped or how certain people are all in on anything he does because Primetime is such a swell guy, ;)

Ryan Dickens Has Scholarship Offer Withdrawn by UConn

I forgot about that - what a different time. This would not be a story anywhere today.
Almost begs the question, is it better to "clean house" or keep them around to crap on after every blowout?

You used to get 2 years to do as bad or worse than your predecessor and as long as the third year showed improvement you'd still have a job. Maybe that changes with the transfer portal.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Mora kept a lot of guys. So did Hurley BTW. Neither emptied out the program like Sanders.

Is this a joke? You are comparing Colorado Football to UConn Football and UConn Basketball. Better yet, let's agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
The portal has changed how some teams build rosters...

....Some coaches have told a lot of players to look elsewhere, but also others have left for NIL deals, or because they are stuck as back ups to better players.

....Even Georgia has transferred out 30 in 2022-2023
.....Ohio State..23

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Everyone knew this would happen. Not necessarily Coloradao but some school and some coach was going to take this to edge.

Free agency and immediate eligibility and transfer portal is a two-way street. Freed up players to become playaz in the market. It also allowed coaches to pull back the cloak of secrecy on how they push players out of their program. Especially true with a regime change.

Welcome to the real world kiddos.

Reaction Score

-> "We already know what we've got on the way in, baby; they're probably at the airport right now,'" Sanders told McAfee. "It's no way that I can put new furniture in this beautiful home if we don't clean out the old furniture. That's not a shot. It's great furniture, a lot of people are going to love it, but that's not what we want." <-

Reaction Score
This was entirely predictable with the transfer portal and NIL. I don't begrudge these kids moving to places where they have a chance to get on the field and making some money. I think it could have been done in a much more controlled manner with the best interest of all the athletes in mind. But, that horse left the barn a long time ago once the money involved got to the level it is now.

I would argue that many 18-20 year-old kids are not prepared for this. A lot will run to the portal the first time they are challenged for playing time. As for NIL, those that will command significant money will have the sharks after them and if they don't have good support systems we all know what can happen.

The leaders of college athletics have nobody to blame but themselves for this. It became ALL about winning at ANY cost. This is not in the best interest of many of the athletes. Doesn't matter now, we are where we are........

Reaction Score
I’m glad to see Colorado is now allowing kids access to their film. Cleaning house is brutal, but expected this day and age. But to deny the kids their film is uncool. At least give them a hand when you show them the door. Good on you Colorado for eventually doing the right thing.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

-> "We already know what we've got on the way in, baby; they're probably at the airport right now,'" Sanders told McAfee. "It's no way that I can put new furniture in this beautiful home if we don't clean out the old furniture. That's not a shot. It's great furniture, a lot of people are going to love it, but that's not what we want." <-
These are people you are cleaning out. And 18-22 year olds at that. This isn't the NFL where everyone knows it's a business.

Seems like he could show more tact on how he is communicating these changes.

Reaction Score
In some ways it is. But most of these kids aren't going to the NFL.

Exactly right! They'll need an education and right now major college athletics could give a rat's *** about the education these kids are getting.

Reaction Score
Mora’s way > Prime’s way.
Mora, as he tends to do everything, upgraded the roster with class. Quietly having the conversations that should be one on one and not in public.
In my opinion, Prime’s way is indefensible. I know he’s a star and the talking heads love him, but he could overhaul the roster without those grand public statements.
Speaking of Prime, does anyone else remember when Dave Brown (Giants mistake at QB) ran him over? As great as he was, there is film out there of him being run over by a QB. And not a very good one.

Reaction Score
The guy had a job to do, quickly determine who has it to make it and who doesn't and get rid of those who don't and bring in those who do. This is the same thing that basically every elite military unit does and in the same way, attempt to make them think they can't make it and give them no timeline on when the being hard on them will stop. They test will and mental toughness and not physical talent because success is determined much more by will and mental toughness than the others. That combination is the quickest way to weed out people who are not mentally tough, especially with ambiguity combined with being tough on them. One could view this all as him being a bad coach for being such an to them, or you can view him as a great coach for taking some of the most researched and effective methods for determining the intangible of will with a bunch of people he doesn't know and doesn't have the time to get to know well yet.

To me, he is quickly analyzing what he has, dumping what doesn't work and attracting the players that do. Doing this, putting people through all of that and seeing lots of people get weeded out is also another great method to form team unity for those who make it, taking care of peoples concerns of forming a team rather than mercenaries. All of them will immediately feel that bond and cohesion that making it through common hard experiences tends to bring to groups of people and you cant do that without making it hard or without cutting lots of people to make it special.
This is the opposite of what i want to see in somebody making personnel decisions because it carries way too much faith in that's selector's absolute talent in doing so and a need to do so that disrupts any hope of a positive culture. This kind of thinking is all the hallmarks of a terrible boss who alienates talent.

Reaction Score
You have it pretty wrong. I watched a few episodes of his behind the scenes show, Deions public persona and how he coaches and leads the team are very different.
Deion is always aware of the camera. I would never trust a "behind the scenes show" to tell me how people behave when the camera is off. They are all scenes.

Reaction Score
The poster who equated the weeding process to elite military units resonated with me. I saw that back in the 60's.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if DS can teach teamwork when his entire existence is based on Me-work.
Do you even listen to him? the actual words that come out of his mouth... or focus on his demeanor?... his demeanor screams me me me... but what comes out of his mouth, much different... but that's the way the world is nowadays, unfortunately... He knows he has a platform now... and he's using it...

Reaction Score
Culture...

The football of Butkus is long gone.

Athletes now have choreographed dances in the end zone, do the "look at me" flex over an opponent....the culture is now one of "look at me...me...me"....It isn't farmboys from Nebraska anymore.

Reaction Score
Nebraska farm boys, Butkus football are all gone, replaced by something better in many cases. That said, there will always be a place in this world for classy people like Mora, Tomlin and many others. A large segment of parents will always want their kids to be coached by them.

Reaction Score
I've seen raving lunatics coaching on the sideline of courts....screamers.

I've watched a cursing, screaming, spitting, Mickey Andrews become a great defensive coordinator.

Luckily, my son had emotionally solid coaches right through college...but maybe that is soccer.

Reaction Score
Mora’s way > Prime’s way.
Mora, as he tends to do everything, upgraded the roster with class. Quietly having the conversations that should be one on one and not in public.
In my opinion, Prime’s way is indefensible. I know he’s a star and the talking heads love him, but he could overhaul the roster without those grand public statements.
Speaking of Prime, does anyone else remember when Dave Brown (Giants mistake at QB) ran him over? As great as he was, there is film out there of him being run over by a QB. And not a very good one.
Prime seems to give up on players he feels aren't going to work for him. Mora seems to at least try to make things work for both parties, but if it doesn't, he does everything he can to make sure that player still sees as much success as possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom