The days of the ACC being an elite BB conference are over. | The Boneyard

The days of the ACC being an elite BB conference are over.

Reaction Score
I mean. I know we are jealous, but they didn’t lose the programs that make them elite.
They lost the coaches who made those programs elite and they added some of the worst programs in the country. There's Duke and possibly Carolina. Virginia and Miami and then a lot of bad basketball teams anchored by BC, Wake, Cal, and SMU who are some of the worst programs in the country. Stanford also blows but they aren't quite at the putrid level of those other programs.

It's by far the worst major basketball conference.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They lost the coaches who made those programs elite and they added some of the worst programs in the country. There's Duke and possibly Carolina. Virginia and Miami and then a lot of bad basketball teams anchored by BC, Wake, Cal, and SMU who are some of the worst programs in the country. Stanford also blows but they aren't quite at the putrid level of those other programs.

It's by far the worst major basketball conference.
Either UCONN stays in the BE or however unlikely, they fight for the Big 10 or SEC. Rutgers and Maryland pulled off the improbable. No reason why UCONN shouldn’t try. The ACC is a heaping pile that’s about to implode. No need to want to get involved in that

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
With traditional basketball schools like Cuse , Louisville , Duke , UNC, VA , even FSU , Miami , NCS , GT , Wake , Clemson
Pitt have had moments I think writing their obituary may be a bit premature.
BC is a hopeless case

Reaction Score
I mean. I know we are jealous, but they didn’t lose the programs that make them elite.
The ACC‘s conference ratings will go down because those schools will bring the average way, way down. Which will effect Duke’s and UNC’s SOS and seeding.

Does it change the conference’s best teams? No. But the statement that the conference was just made weaker in hoops really can’t be argued.

Reaction Score
The ACC‘s conference ratings will go down because those schools will bring the average way, way down. Which will effect Duke’s and UNC’s SOS and seeding.

Does it change the conference’s best teams? No. But the statement that the conference was just made weaker in hoops really can’t be argued.
It absolutely was made weaker, that is inarguable. But this was not a basketball decision as everyone well knows.

Reaction Score
Duke, North Carolina, and UVA should come to the Big East. Football can e added. Write our own narrative.
The Big East tried that once before. It will never happen again with so many Catholic non-FBS schools.

I think rumors of the ACC’s demise may be premature. It is likely that 4th major conference needs to emerge. It was widely thought that it would be the PAC-12 but they are gone. Looks like ACC or AAC are only contenders left. If the ACC thoughtfully reinvents itself, it might survive. The AAC has already been picked over.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They should. They have a proud basketball history and it's all going to be blown up.
Those schools will be fine. They’re a few years away from landing in the big 3 conferences anyways.

Reaction Score
The ACC has already started to lose its BB halo. The last two season only 5 of 15 teams made the NCAA tour. All time low. Last year only 7 of the 15 teams in the ACC had winning conf. record. The bottom of the league was horrible. Now add 3 new teams which will slide into the bottom half of the conference and they will continue to drop further in the conference ratings.

Reaction Score
The Big East tried that once before. It will never happen again with so many Catholic non-FBS schools.

I think rumors of the ACC’s demise may be premature. It is likely that 4th major conference needs to emerge. It was widely thought that it would be the PAC-12 but they are gone. Looks like ACC or AAC are only contenders left. If the ACC thoughtfully reinvents itself, it might survive. The AAC has already been picked over.
You don’t become the fourth big conference long-term by adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU lol. There’s no way that keeps Clemson, FSU etc around long term. It’s a bandaid on a cracked pipe. More small private schools that have been and will continue to be, and therefore add, subpar programs to the conference ie just more Wakes and Georgia Techs. Those three programs aren’t going to get some boost by joining the ACC, which everyone knows is going to fail. The ACC is going to become the next AAC eventually when their best schools inevitably leave. They just wanted to scoop up what they deemed to be the best remaining pieces before someone else does

Why does there “need” to be a 4th conference under the current NCAA regime? I do think that, once the schools with power organize a rapture from the NCAA, 4 conferences of 12 make the most sense for football scheduling purposes. But for now, I don’t see some need.

Reaction Score
There are two proven good coaches in the ACC. That's it. And Laranaga is close to retirement. I believe the wheels will fall off the Davis, Scheyer experiment. Hiring a former player as your head coach who has never been a head coach has never worked out. Ollie winning a title with senior former champions doesnt count in my book.

Reaction Score
Either UCONN stays in the BE or however unlikely, they fight for the Big 10 or SEC. Rutgers and Maryland pulled off the improbable. No reason why UCONN shouldn’t try. The ACC is a heaping pile that’s about to implode. No need to want to get involved in that
This whole realignment game has gone stale.

Three scenarios I’d be interested in:
Most likely: UCONN keeps all sports in BE and joins a football only conference with the likes of Army, Navy, Buffalo, Temple, UMass, WSU, OSU, plus 2 to 4 more. Ride this until the whole thing blows up.
Much much less likely: BE merges with B1G to form a mega conference.
Extremely unlikely: SEC makes a northern push and grabs some northeast schools. Just like Rutgers going to B1G didn’t dilute their football image, the SEC could absorb some weaker football schools.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

They tried to buy Elite Status by destroying the Original Big East which was Elite

I think the argument against them is that they have watered down a conference which was already top heavy to begin with

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom