The Colgate Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Colgate Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The last time UConn played Colgate in Stewie's freshman season, more than half of the Raiders' 41 points came on 3-pters, and both teams did very well from the arc. Guessing that there will a lot of jacks tonight too.

It's a little puzzling about the lack of support for Cuse WCBB, as some of their other women's sports are at least supported well enough to do pretty well. Their field hockey team just stole UConn's NC title (though UConn kind of made up for it with the women's rugby NC), and their women's cross-country team is one of the best in the nation, trying to keep pace with the men's team that is national champs. A coach can have a lot to do with how a team is supported, so . . . .

And no, the ACC teams are not ducking UConn, with two of them on the schedule. There are just 11 OOC games to go around, and this year the B10 has three of the Huskies' slots after having none last year, while last year the PAC had two but none this year. You can't play everybody, at least not until a WCBB video game comes out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The last time UConn played Colgate in Stewie's freshman season, more than half of the Raiders' 41 points came on 3-pters, and both teams did very well from the arc. Guessing that there will a lot of jacks tonight too.

It's a little puzzling about the lack of support for Cuse WCBB, as some of their other women's sports are at least supported well enough to do pretty well. Their field hockey team just stole UConn's NC title (though UConn kind of made up for it with the women's rugby NC), and their women's cross-country team is one of the best in the nation, trying to keep pace with the men's team that is national champs. A coach can have a lot to do with how a team is supported, so . . . .

And no, the ACC teams are not ducking UConn, with two of them on the schedule. There are just 11 OOC games to go around, and this year the B10 has three of the Huskies' slots after having none last year, while last year the PAC had two but none this year. You can't play everybody, at least not until a WCBB video game comes out.
I think the arena barn has a lot to do with it. It is so huge that 3000 people makes it feel almost more empty than when it is empty - just emphasizing how few seats are actually taken. It is hard to make a 10% filled space, any space, feel exciting, so the experience of the fans probably doesn't lend itself to a lot of return visitors.

Reaction Score
I will be at the game and I will report back on how great the atmosphere is. I can't wait to see how the Colgate students react.

Will be interesting to see if their students show up. Their normal student crowd for the men is less than 50 and for the women less than 10. Normally the number of people actually in the gym for the women's games is less than 200, often a lot less.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Colgate:

What I didn't remember was that Bill Parcels was a grad as well

Parcells is not a Colgate grad. He went there briefly as a freshman, but transferred out after less than a year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why else would they schedule Coppin State and sale maybe a 1000 tickets....
Not likely, as has been noted, their first 2 home games garnered 451 and 219 fans.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My first thought regarding Syracuse not taking the game was that they didn't want to schedule a probable loss that might hurt their chances of making the NCAA tournament. Not sure of the timing of scheduling, but with Tennessee, Maryland and AZ St., on the schedule they might have felt their OOC schedule was plenty tough already.

Re Hillsman, he's always rubs me the wrong way. His clothes are garish to the extent that it seems he wants to be the center of attention. And he never stops complaining to the ref.

Good on Colgate for taking the game.

HGN

Reaction Score
Actually, I think they're known as The Orange these days. Gender neutral, I guess. Fits your story better as well.
Gus , then Orange it shall be.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not likely, as has been noted, their first 2 home games garnered 451 and 219 fans.
But this is #245 rated Coppin State, not a top 150 team like Stony Brook that might beat Syracuse and make everyone fretful. Orange fans should feel safe on this one, and maybe turn out in droves of 452 or so.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But this is #245 rated Coppin State, not a top 150 team like Stony Brook that might beat Syracuse and make everyone fretful. Orange fans should feel safe on this one, and maybe turn out in droves of 452 or so.
Oh geez, where the hell they gonna put them all? :eek:

Reaction Score
If Quentin is all about trying to keep his job over number of wins/losses I would get rid of him I were the AD of SU.

Reaction Score
As a fan who has been following uconn since 2000 (age 7), and a current Syracuse student, it would have been nice to be able to see the huskies and stewie play in the Carrier Dome. It also would have been a pleasant surprise to see a game in person beyond the home games (CT) that align with school breaks. However, the athletic department at SU has always been "sketchy" and I have never been a fan of Coach Q. The women's program has virtually zero klout in syracuse. No student following and certainly no following from the residents of the area. I would venture to guess that syracuse didn't want another L on the schedule, more fans cheering for the huskies in their home venue, and at most 5k fans in the dome ( for people not familiar with the dome, 5k fans, a large draw for the SU women, would look virtually empty on TV). Unfortunate that I don't get to see stewie tonight and even more unfortunate that the SU program isn't capitalizing on the opportunity to advance their womens program.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Geno should have extended his invitation to Le Moyne College. It's Division II but, it's in Syracuse. And before all the negative press, it's not like the Orange people would win the either so, a blow out is a blow.

Reaction Score
Can someone please either attach link to streaming game tonight, or tell me how I can do this....

would appreciate it thank you!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Can someone please either attach link to streaming game tonight, or tell me how I can do this....

would appreciate it thank you!!!!!!!
If you have a tablet, down load the Watch ESPN App/ then select SPORTS from the top Manuel bar, then select basketball. The Manuel on the right you can select among live/upcoming/replay depending upon the time you want to watch. It will show a lists of games. Then search for Univ. of Conn Vs XXX (W). Tonight's will start at 7 PM Eastern Time. I live in Vegas, so it will be 4 PM for me. Some times program may come on few minutes later than the posted time. Hope this will be helpful.

Reaction Score
If you have a tablet, down load the Watch ESPN App/ then select SPORTS from the top Manuel bar, then select basketball. The Manuel on the right you can select among live/upcoming/replay depending upon the time you want to watch. It will show a lists of games. Then search for Univ. of Conn Vs XXX (W). Tonight's will start at 7 PM Eastern Time. I live in Vegas, so it will be 4 PM for me. Some times program may come on few minutes later than the posted time. Hope this will be helpful.

HuskyZee U ROCK!!! Thank you so much...... Will put a little extra in next week's check for you!!!!

Reaction Score

By the way, I am also in same town as you...... isn't it great to get sports programming 3 hours early??!!!

Reaction Score
Speaking of Colgate:

I had a dim memory of someone associated with my beloved Knicks of the 50's being a Colgate grad.
And it was none other than Dr. Ernest (Ernie) Vandeweghe wonderful player and fine gentleman all of whose kids; Kiki, Coco and all of his others became champion athletes. He passed away last year.

What I didn't remember was that Bill Parcels was a grad as well

And Gloria Borgia, Andy Rooney, Bob Woodruff, Monica Crowley and many other luminaries in all fields.

A wonderful legacy.
And Mark Van Eeghen, the great Raider fullback

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I suspect there are a few scalpers outside the arena tonight. And I suspect that has never happened before at Colgate for a women's game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow - I am guessing there are a lot of phone calls buzzing around the Syracuse campus right about now.

Syracuse Pres on the line with the AD: Did you know anything about this?! Who is in charge over there!! I want some answers!
PR Director on conference call with staff: OK, who has any ideas on how we spin this?! Anyone?! Anyone?! Bueller?!
Coach Q to his assistant: Anyone calls, I just left and you're not sure where I was headed or when I will be back!

TN fans were not exactly thrilled by the Suzie Arth/Michelle Voepel article about their loss and lack of 2016 recruits, but this goes a step further in the 'this is not good publicity' stakes. Michelle has taken the gloves off! :)
I'm guessing not. In any event, I'm pretty sure that any sport related call that doesn't include the phrase NCAA investigation is viewed as a good one.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe, KLM never got to play a game in So Cal..
Pacific, UC Davis and Stanford are nowhere near Anaheim.

There are 7 schools here locally (in So Cal) that could have accommodated UConn (KML): Cal-State Fullerton (Big West) would have been the closest to her home in Anaheim Hills, and her high school Mater Dei. There's also USC, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, Long Beach State (the pyramid- a very nice facility) & Loyola Marymount.

UConn is scheduled to play in Pauley Pavilion (UCLA) next season.

Reaction Score
As a native of Upstate New York, I fully understand the situation with Syracuse..... perhaps Syracuse is embarrassed at the prospect of the hometown gal who did not choose to play for The Orange Nation..... perhaps they wanted to spite Stewie or Uconn.... those are possibilities, but one thing is for sure. Historically, Syracuse has been territorial (polite) or "homers" (truth)..... you look at the men's program..... and see the schedule they have played over the years..... I do not think they played ANY games, or semi-significant games outside of Syracuse before the New Year..... Many people think that is the reason they historically have failed in post season, because they played the cupcakes the first 2 months of the season, and then jumped into the cold water of conference play, but that lasts only 2 months.... and then the NCAAs come.....

The women's program I think does the same thing..... let's "test" ourselves with the juggernaut that is Coppin State, and gauge how our team stacks up..... who knows perhaps they will climb a notch or two in the Top 25 (which means nothing)..... Let's envelop ourselves in the aura that is "The 'Cuse" and ride the PR train..... bury by all means, do not let our program be exposed playing UConn, even when by scheduling them they could have done a "solid" for a great player and upstanding person in Breanna Stewart.....

I have no enmity toward Syracuse, but I certainly do know "how they roll"...

I was thinking along the same lines and just want to add that you can't fault them for thinking that; look at all the success their mens team has had 1 title and they had to cheat 3 different ways to get it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm just lovin that the AP piled on
To Syracuse (in their round-up of the game)
for their low-life, chicken-crao refusal to host one of the games great all-time stars
Goof for them
They deserve all the derision they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member