OT: - THE CHOKE | The Boneyard

OT: THE CHOKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Of late, we're seeing something more than the usual number of individual athletes or teams
underperforming.

-Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles cite mental issues and withdraw from events and/or underperform.

-The New York Yankees find unusual, quite a remarkable, multitude of ways to snatch defeat from the jaw of victory.

- Both the US woman's BB and soccer teams are defeated in friendlies and/or prelims and appear vulnerable.

This is just my list; I'm sure others can add more...Does the Arizona debacle, fit into that mold?

In the case of Osaka and Biles, both of whom I admire, its (nevertheless) difficult to sympathize much.
Both have sold their soul out to commercial interests for the big bucks...almost to the point of "are they forgetting exactly why they're on the world stage?"

It's because of their athletic exploits and their general attractiveness. With these youngster's bank accounts in the 10's of millions (or more)
Isn't it reasonable to expect that their performance remains peak...Obviously it's difficult...or so they're finding.

Isn' it reasonable for monster batting talents like Sanchez and Stanton to spend an hour or two practicing serving the ball into the opposite field or (god-forbid) bunting your way on.

And...is this a premonition of what we're going to see from our UConn kids...So busy, fulfilling their commercial contracts that they lose track of why they're there in the first place.

Reaction Score
1627407865424.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone who’s ever competed in sports has experienced coming up short in the clutch at one time or another, from Naomi Osaka to Michael Jordan. I remember a few games in my life when I came up short. The bad memories are still there, 45+ years later.

Competition is hard, and it doesn’t always work out. However, sitting on the couch, second guessing competitors is relatively easy.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Poor little rich guys and girls..I feel for them..
Boy, do you have a heart of stone. Here are two young people with, literally, the weight of the world on their shoulders. The expectations are obscene. They’ve been proclaimed the best in their sports and now have to live up to others’ expectations on the biggest stage in the world.

Money can’t pay off anxiety and depression. Belongings can’t replace unconditional love and acceptance. Ask Robin Williams, Kate Spade, and Anthony Bourdain. If you think material things can make you feel safe and loved, you live in a cold, dark place I don’t want to know.

Reaction Score
Biles had already talked about how competition was getting too her. It seemed like she was saying that her body could no longer respond and recover as well as it once did. Her sport seems to be a young womans sport. Especially for someone like her who pushes the physical envelope. Thats what she mentioned that the sport was finally taking a physical toll on her body and that was what was bothing her. She was afraid she could no longer compete at her former level.

Reaction Score
Desperate for ANY attention huh? Now go duck in the closet when the comments start.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Boy do you have a heart of stone. Here are two young people with, literally, the weight of the world on their shoulders. The expectations are obscene. They’ve been proclaimed the best in their sports and now have to live up to others’ expectations on the biggest stage in the world.

Money can’t pay off anxiety and depression. Belongings can’t replace unconditional love and acceptance. Ask Robin Williams, Kate Spade, and Anthony Bourdain. If you think material things can make you feel safe and loved, you live in a cold, dark place I don’t want to know.
I don't have a heart of stone at all...I plead innocent.

My point is (in the case of Osaka/Biles) that they've been quite taken up in all the extraneous aspects of competing...They didn't have to so participate as much in that...at least not yet; no one forced them. They had a choice.
The weight of the world you speak about is very much of their own making.

And once you make that Faustian decision, the consequences of disappointment are a least somewhat your responsibility.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't have a heart of stone at all...I plead innocent.

My point is (in the case of Osaka/Biles) that they've been quite taken up in all the extraneous aspects of competing...They didn't have to so participate as much in that...at least not yet; no one forced them. They had a choice.
The weight of the world you speak about is very much of their own making.

And once you make that Faustian decision, the consequences of disappointment are a least somewhat your responsibility.
Maybe they thought they could handle the expectations and found they couldn’t? Are they still “chokers” or just human beings?

We see this same stupid weight of expectations here on the Boneyard annually so I’m not sure why I’m so shocked at the heartlessless of people. Maybe Boneyarders are especially hardened to human frailties. What a depressing thought.

Reaction Score
I remember a few games in my life when I came up short. The bad memories are still there, 45+ years later.
Likewise OldDude, after all these years, those times seem to naw at me badly, eclipsing the really good moments, and there were quite a few of those.

Reaction Score
Of late, we're seeing something more than the usual number of individual athletes or teams
underperforming.

-Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles cite mental issues and withdraw from events and/or underperform.

-The New York Yankees find unusual, quite a remarkable, multitude of ways to snatch defeat from the jaw of victory.

- Both the US woman's BB and soccer teams are defeated in friendlies and/or prelims and appear vulnerable.

This is just my list; I'm sure others can add more...Does the Arizona debacle, fit into that mold?

In the case of Osaka and Biles, both of whom I admire, its (nevertheless) difficult to sympathize much.
Both have sold their soul out to commercial interests for the big bucks...almost to the point of "are they forgetting exactly why they're on the world stage?"

It's because of their athletic exploits and their general attractiveness. With these youngster's bank accounts in the 10's of millions (or more)
Isn't it reasonable to expect that their performance remains peak...Obviously it's difficult...or so they're finding.

Isn' it reasonable for monster batting talents like Sanchez and Stanton to spend an hour or two practicing serving the ball into the opposite field or (god-forbid) bunting your way on.

And...is this a premonition of what we're going to see from our UConn kids...So busy, fulfilling their commercial contracts that they lose track of why they're there in the first place.

Wow. Worse post I've read in a while. Not only is it completely insensitive, but the entire premise is flawed.

Reaction Score
Hardened to human frailties? How about losing your job because you became depressed over your sister's death from COVID. We were born on the same day; she was three years younger. Also, she was the only family member alive, other than me. I became depressed, stopped going to work, and eventually my principal said I abandoned my job. Funny how he sent me two numbers for the help line. I knew why I was depressed. I couldn't figure a way out of the depression. When I did show up for work, my principal told me I was terminated. Now that I've retired, I'm waiting on my retirement pay while everyone waits to get paid. I have to move at the end of August because I no longer can afford the rent of the apartment I'm living in. Without my retirement pay I'll have nowhere to live. Also, I borrowed $5,000 from a friend and her husband. I keep updating her as to my retirement pay, which isn't much of an update.

Reaction Score
Simone Biles net worth in 2021 is 6 millions.
Do you know how much those poor NBA players' net worth in 2021?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't it reasonable to expect that their performance remains peak?
Translation: "How dare they lose?"
Note to potential elite athletes out there - apparently the validation of all your efforts will only come from winning, so don't lose.

Reaction Score
Boy, do you have a heart of stone. Here are two young people with, literally, the weight of the world on their shoulders. The expectations are obscene. They’ve been proclaimed the best in their sports and now have to live up to others’ expectations on the biggest stage in the world.

The shelf life of champions is very short, so I can’t begrudge anyone taking advantage of their moment.

Reaction Score
Simone Biles has won a combined total of 30 Olympic and World Championship medals for USA. She is in the US National Team since she was 15 years old. She spends the last 9 years for the US National Team.

And her net worth is 6 millions dollar. She does not sell her soul out to commercial interests for the big bucks as "I don't have a heart @msf22b "said.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why would someone associate mental health issues with "choking"? Maybe this is why the US isn't sufficiently serious to tackle it? Besides...you don't stack up such a resume because you're a choker! GET REAL! Hello...they are HUMAN, flesh and blood, just like we are with far more expectations. How many people can say they are the best, or even one of the best, at their chosen profession? As for the monetary compensation...convince me that they haven't EARNED every penny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32