The Canadian Build Up Begins | The Boneyard

The Canadian Build Up Begins

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“It’s a great thing for Kia, for her to get to play in Canada in front of family and friends and it’s a great thing for young players who get a chance to go out and see one of the best programs in the world,” said Lisa Thomaidis, the head coach of Canada’s senior women’s team as well as the University of Saskatchewan Huskies. “The players on that team are going to be future Olympians and WNBA players, it’s just a great opportunity to see some of the best players in the world at their age group and see how they compete and the level of athleticism and skill level that they have.”

Canadian women’s basketball star Kia Nurse gets chance to shine at home with UConn | Toronto Star

Reaction Score
Kia is one of my favorite all-time Huskies. Besides her work on the court, her bubbly personality and very smart interviews have been highlights during her four years at UConn. For a very long time, Kia's presence in the Husky line-up was synonymous with victory; until last year, she never lost a game that she started. When folks asked how to assure a UConn win, the answer was "Start Kia." I fully expect that beyond basketball she will make a wonderful TV commentator, and we can count our blessings and her dimples for years to come.

Reaction Score
“It’s a great thing for Kia, for her to get to play in Canada in front of family and friends and it’s a great thing for young players who get a chance to go out and see one of the best programs in the world,” said Lisa Thomaidis, the head coach of Canada’s senior women’s team as well as the University of Saskatchewan Huskies. “The players on that team are going to be future Olympians and WNBA players, it’s just a great opportunity to see some of the best players in the world at their age group and see how they compete and the level of athleticism and skill level that they have.”

Canadian women’s basketball star Kia Nurse gets chance to shine at home with UConn | Toronto Star

Not surprised by this.....

UConn Huskies vs Duquesne Dukes | Mattamy Athletic Centre

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember what the 5 schools Kia was considering before UConn contacted her?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I really, really, really want to go to this Duquesne game. I already bought myself and my daughter tickets. However, if my new passport doesnt get here by Friday @ 1pm then there is no way I can go. What a bummer that would be. Either way we love our Canadian Husky and will cheer her on from home.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Episode 3

That was a quality production. Surely that was intended to be broadcast, maybe a 30 minute show in Canada?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember what the 5 schools Kia was considering before UConn contacted her?

Kia on the moment of contact by UConn: " I've got my five and you're not one of them." Gotta love her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Well, I can give you 4 of them: " Two weeks ago, select schools stopped by for in-home visits to see Canada’s top prospect: Kentucky on Monday (9/9), UConn on Tuesday (9/10), Indiana on Wednesday (9/11) and to close out the week, Penn State visited that Friday (9/13). Tennessee will make a home visit with the Nurse’s next week.

The aforementioned schools are her five finalists. Nurse plans to take at least three official visits but she may decide to commit before taking all of her visits." Top programs pursuing top Canadian recruit

Actually, I have the 5th. I saw this and put it on the board just before the Michigan State game:

"They learned they aren’t UConn. They knew that already. Merchant was reminded of it watching Uconn guard Kia Nurse, who’d she’d known since Nurse was 7. She’d recruited her forever. Thought she had her. Then, on the last day of the July recruiting period, a UConn assistant happened to see her.

"In an eight-day span, it’s over,” Merchant said. “That’s what you’re up against a little bit from a recruiting standpoint. There’s just not enough parity in the women’s game.”

Couch: The UConn women are ruthless; Michigan State - and everyone else - has no shot

Geno says UConn gets more than its fair share, but it sure suits me. How about you?

Last edited:

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
We get a Canadian "buildup" here in Florida every year starting in early November. :D

Reaction Score
Given her sense (of humor) and sensibility, I bet Kia loves having a cartoon ego.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Are you sure you need a Passport to get into Canada? Its been a few years, but I didn't have a passport to get into Canada.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification.Feb 22, 2013

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are you sure you need a Passport to get into Canada? Its been a few years, but I didn't have a passport to get into Canada.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification.Feb 22, 2013

You need proof of citizenship and residence and Passport fulfills both needs. This is a change from the good old days.

Documents Needed to Go Between Canada & USA by Car

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
eebmg: look 3 posts up. Michigan State also was a final 5er 'til UConn showed up.

Sorry Rocky. Once I noticed that my post duplicated your post, I deleted my own. I guess it was deleted quickly enough. :(

I thought I remembered the MSU story. Glad you added that info as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry Rocky. Once I noticed that my post duplicated your post, I deleted my own. I guess it was deleted quickly enough. :(

I thought I remembered the MSU story. Glad you added that info as well.

No foul and I'm not touchy about stuff like that. I get myself in a pickle all the time by starting at the end of a thread. Can you imagine how the MSU coach, then an assistant, felt when she got that call MSU was a natural for Kia because it was close enough for family to drive. But it is another of her top 5 that really puzzles me: Tenn. What were you thinking Kia!!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Actually, I have the 5th. I saw this and put it on the board just before the Michigan State game:

"They learned they aren’t UConn. They knew that already. Merchant was reminded of it watching Uconn guard Kia Nurse, who’d she’d known since Nurse was 7. She’d recruited her forever. Thought she had her. Then, on the last day of the July recruiting period, a UConn assistant happened to see her.

"In an eight-day span, it’s over,” Merchant said. “That’s what you’re up against a little bit from a recruiting standpoint. There’s just not enough parity in the women’s game.”

Couch: The UConn women are ruthless; Michigan State - and everyone else - has no shot

Geno says UConn gets more than its fair share, but it sure suits me. How about you?
Oh man I was thinking Maryland was the 5th this whole time. Thanks for finding that!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno talking now. Smart stuff to entice more of those talented kids, but genuine.

Reaction Score

Lisa T , Coach, is someone to watch. They field a good team each year. It's a great thing for Kia--but a much greater thing for her family, old teammates, and friends (is there enough room in that gym for those friends?) they finally get to see Kia whom Uconn has loved from day one.. Thanks Rocky

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom