The Buffalo Wild Wings Promo has to go | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Buffalo Wild Wings Promo has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was there. I was close to a lot of the most vocal crowd at the end. It was definitely about the wings and it built over the last few minutes; but every Lenehan touch during that time turned it up a notch louder because it added the normal Lenehan contingent. It was funny, but yeah not as much for the team, especially at the time.

And when I say it was about the wings, I mean that the game was such a laugher at that point that the BWW contest suddenly became more interesting, even if you didn't want the wings, because it was a crowd phenomenon.

Even though none of us has ever had a wing from BWW, the promotion did work for our family: it made us choose Eli Cannon's for our early dinner stop on the way home, where we started with a huge order of wings (which were very good).

So, yeah, I like the promotion. That and the frisbee dogs at half-time were more interesting to my kids than most of the game was.

Reaction Score
I was there. I was close to a lot of the most vocal crowd at the end. It was definitely about the wings and it built over the last few minutes; but every Lenehan touch during that time turned it up a notch louder because it added the normal Lenehan contingent. It was funny, but yeah not as much for the team, especially at the time.

And when I say it was about the wings, I mean that the game was such a laugher at that point that the BWW contest suddenly became more interesting, even if you didn't want the wings, because it was a crowd phenomenon.

Even though none of us has ever had a wing from BWW, the promotion did work for our family: it made us choose Eli Cannon's for our early dinner stop on the way home, where we started with a huge order of wings (which were very good).

So, yeah, I like the promotion. That and the frisbee dogs at half-time were more interesting to my kids than most of the game was.
Consider yourself fortunate.

Reaction Score
CAHUSKY said:
When I was there from 90-93 they did a contest at halftime where if a fan hit a half court shot the entire place won a Pizza Hut pizza. At the Cuse game one of those years the fan hit the shot and I never heard the Civic Center as loud. We collected ticket stubs from everyone who would give them to us and ended up with about 20 pizzas for the folks in our dorm. There was a line around the block trying to get in to the restaurant as well. If I remember correctly, it had to be redeemed the day after the game so it was a madhouse.

As I remember it, the kid had to make a layup, foul shot and 3 pointer for the free pizza and he did it. There may have been a half court shot for a bigger prize to the contestant but I don't remember.

Reaction Score
More important, the attendance - 13,315. Lucky to see half that in Gampel.
Yes...we were commenting at the game....excellent crowd. 200's on the sides pretty filled. I heard the new bar area at one end was packed.

Reaction Score
yeah great crowd today---that new bar is pretty cool---holds a lot of people & good view of the game---first come first serve seeting.
there were a ton of people in the bar (might have had something to do w the Pats game being on tv @ the same time ;) )

Reaction Score
I guess fans care more about wings then about our team and players. Wow! times must be tough.

Reaction Score
I was at the game today. From where I was sitting, I thought the crowd was more disappointed about Pat Lenehan not getting to shoot.
I was at the game too and thought the same thing. I didn't know about the wing promo until now.

Reaction Score
The crowd was having fun.

Nobody was really getting booed.

It's not a litmus test of the fans.
Exactly. If the crowd realizes what's going on, the team does too. They are in the same building and they are not morons. If you realize what is happening there is a good chance the team does too. My guess is most of the people complaining about this were not at the game as usual. BWW still sucks though. lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you were at the game and didn't realize what was happening I'd ask if you are deaf? They announced when UConn had 73 with about 4-5 minutes left and groups of people were chanting about wings.

What the heck did you think people were booing about?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly. If the crowd realizes what's going on, the team does too. They are in the same building and they are not morons. If you realize what is happening there is a good chance the team does too. My guess is most of the people complaining about this were not at the game as usual. BWW still sucks though. lol

Yeah Ollie and the team didn't know what was going on - they usually get randomly booed up 33 points for no reason.

Reaction Score
No big deal. The kids wanted wings and were denied. Free wings to a student is important. Have some posters (i.e. old farts) forgotten those days?

Do people really believe they booed the team's performance?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a weird last few minutes. Crowd was pumped to see Pat get the 82nd point, naturally disappointed when he didn't. From where I was sitting people we're making a joke about it, nobody was genuinely upset. But free wings are a big deal for "starving" college kids.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I said to my family (one of whom is a big Lenehan fan), if Lenehan hit the last shot and it put us over 82, I think the crowd might have carried him off on their shoulders.

Reaction Score
Yeah we also have fans that go apes*it over free T-Shirts that say Dunkin Donuts or Webster Bank so nothing surprises me and I'm pretty sure every other fanbase is the same.
I never understood about the tee shirt freak out that happens at every game- NBA- NCAA it just not matter- people go nuts. The tee shirts could say " I' m with stupid" and have an arrow pointing strait up and people will still knock over a 10 year old to get to it.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why everyone is hating on the taste of bww....I must not have a refined palate like everyone who creates and comments on the "Best _____ in CT" threads

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't understand why everyone is hating on the taste of bww....I must not have a refined palate like everyone who creates and comments on the "Best _____ in CT" threads
Or, you may simply like the taste of body odor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I never understood about the tee shirt freak out that happens at every game- NBA- NCAA it just not matter- people go nuts. The tee shirts could say " I' m with stupid" and have an arrow pointing strait up and people will still knock over a 10 year old to get to it.

And it's mostly the 10 year olds' fault. For some reason those little punks think they should have free reign to every freebie at the stadium. I usually pick out the ones whose parents are at the beer line and knock them silly. And I don't care if the shirt is a smedium. I'm putting it on right away no matter where the arrow points.

Reaction Score
It was a weird last few minutes. Crowd was pumped to see Pat get the 82nd point, naturally disappointed when he didn't. From where I was sitting people we're making a joke about it, nobody was genuinely upset. But free wings are a big deal for "starving" college kids.

Omar knew what was going on. I had a fat guy in his 40's near me going crazy the last few minutes. If you see the whole court you saw Ollie give the hold signal prior to the last possession. There was no need to go crazy the last 30 seconds. It was a wrap prior to the possession unless a kid ignored the coach.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
people need a sense of humor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads