The Boneyard Greatest TV Show of All-Time Tournament | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Boneyard Greatest TV Show of All-Time Tournament

Reaction Score
We're 20 years into the Golden Age of Television and it's almost unfair to compare contemporary shows to the stuff of yesteryear, at least when it comes to dramas. You can flip that around when it comes to comedy: shows from the 80s and 90s were much funnier than what we've had recently. Television is one of the few topics that I don't get nostalgic over; the shows we've been blessed with since the turn of the millennium are so good.

My personal favorites:

1. Seinfield
2. The W ire
3. Mad Men
4. The Sopranos
5. All In The Family
6. Game of Thrones
7. Breaking Bad
8. Cheers
9. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
10. Happy Days

I've never gotten around to MASH. One of these years...
Strongly disagree period be it comedy or drama, it's all about the writing. Television script writing is a lost art that died 35 years ago. Great tv writers from the 50's, 60's, and 70's like Jackson Gillis, DC Fontana, Juanita Bartlett, David Chase, Larry Gelbart, Buck Henry, Larry David, Harlin Ellison, Rod Serling, Earl Hamner, Ring LardnerJr, Carl Reiner, and Kathleen Hite are gone or almost gone and are not easily replaced.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Our neighbors invited us over on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza and Disney's Wonderful World of Color. They were one of the first to own a color tv.
We went to my grandmother's house for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Disney every Sunday.

Reaction Score
We went to my grandmother's house for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Disney every Sunday.
We went to grandmom's and got Lawrence Welk. We used to laugh at the Geritol commercials. Not so funny now.

Reaction Score
1) The Sopranos - Undisputed champ for me. Tony is probably the GOAT TV character too.
2) Mad Men - Incredible writing and acting. Every episode brought with it intense emotional heft.
3) Deadwood - It still astonishes me the writing on this show. Ian McShane's Al Swearengen is one of the best characters of all-time.
4) Breaking Bad - Love the show, can't stand Walter's family.
5) The Simpsons - As far as impact on my own personal life, this would probably be #1.
6) Hannibal - Wish this had had another season or two.
7) Mr. Robot - Feels like one of the most current and important shows as it relates to the times right now.
8) The Office - Should've ended when Michael Scott left but this is one thats wrapped up in my own personal history too.
9) Taboo - Only one season so far but it was a stunner.
10) Seinfeld - Endlessly rewatchable and always hilarious.

So many others:

The Office (UK)
Chapelle's Show
Cowboy Bebop
The Americans
Extras
Ducktales
Band of Brothers
The Leftovers
Parks and Recreation
Batman: The Animated Series
The X-Files
True Detective
Game of Thrones
Futurama
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Veep
30 Rock
Legion
Boardwalk Empire
Samurai Champloo
Sherlock
The Colbert Report
Jeopardy
Sons of Anarchy
Six Feet Under
Carnivale
Community
Dexter
The Inbetweeners
Silicon Valley
Louie
Arrested Development

FOR SHAME: I've only seen a few episodes of The Wire.

Looks like I need to finally give Justified a try too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strongly disagree period be it comedy or drama, it's all about the writing. Television script writing is a lost art that died 35 years ago. Great tv writers from the 50's, 60's, and 70's like Jackson Gillis, DC Fontana, Juanita Bartlett, David Chase, Larry Gelbart, Buck Henry, Larry David, Harlin Ellison, Rod Serling, Earl Hamner, Ring LardnerJr, Carl Reiner, and Kathleen Hite are gone or almost gone and are not easily replaced.

You're just nostalgic. The top authority on the matter spoke and doesn't agree with you. The Writer's Guild of America did a "Best Written TV Shows" in 2015 and six of the Top 10 shows were created in the 80s-00s, including the top two spots. Four of them were created in 1999 or later. The older shows were anthology or comedy (probably categorized as Dramedy now) but they never had epic, expansive, in-depth character-driven dramas like we've had the last two decades. The Sopranos changed everything.

101 Best Written TV Series

It's not even a debate that we're in a golden age of television; the best experience is found in television instead of the movies for the first time in history.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
9) Taboo - Only one season so far but it was a stunner.

Yeah, do we know what happen to that? 2nd season would have been in America so it would have had a different feel than London.

FWIW, I'm not nominating because I really don't feel all that strongly about a lot of TV shows. For comedies, The Dick Van Dyke Show was hysterical it should make the list along with Seinfeld and Mary Tyler Moore. All great shows that have held up. For drama's ER and NYPD Blue were must see TV early on. Beyond that? Star Trek started a franchise so it deserves to be in the mix. I'm kind of meh, from there though. I'll vote once the tourney starts.

Reaction Score
You're just nostalgic. The top authority on the matter spoke and doesn't agree with you. The Writer's Guild of America did a "Best Written TV Shows" in 2015 and six of the Top 10 shows were created in the 80s-00s, including the top two spots. Four of them were created in 1999 or later. The older shows were anthology or comedy (probably categorized as Dramedy now) but they never had epic, expansive, in-depth character-driven dramas like we've had the last two decades. The Sopranos changed everything.

It's not even a debate that we're in a golden age of television; the best experience is found in television instead of the movies for the first time in history.
You don't know what you are talking about. The Sopranos is 20 years ago AND was written and created by David Chase who I listed in my original reply as one of the greatest TV writers during the 1960's and 1970's, he is in his 70's or 80's now. David Chase wrote his best stuff for "The Rockford Files" 50 years ago.

David Chase - Wikipedia

There is some good drama nowadays but it is few and far between. I do enjoy "The Amerikans" and "The Man In The High Castle".

I had to chuckle when you stated The Sopranos changed everything, loved that show but a lot it was taken from or inspired by hundreds of Rockford Files episodes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, do we know what happen to that? 2nd season would have been in America so it would have had a different feel than London.

FWIW, I'm not nominating because I really don't feel all that strongly about a lot of TV shows. For comedies, The Dick Van Dyke Show was hysterical it should make the list along with Seinfeld and Mary Tyler Moore. All great shows that have held up. For drama's ER and NYPD Blue were must see TV early on. Beyond that? Star Trek started a franchise so it deserves to be in the mix. I'm kind of meh, from there though. I'll vote once the tourney starts.
It's coming still. Filming later this year and releasing next year.

Here's why Taboo season 2 starring Tom Hardy is taking so long

Reaction Score
I don't understand the SNL stuff. Those who remember it being funny are my age, and you watched it in the 70s and 80s when you were high. The show really isn't very funny.
Some of the old stuff was good. Certainly unique back then.

Reaction Score
Samurai Delicatessen....Wilderness Comedian.....Buck Henry the Babysitter....Que es mas Macho.....many more and all classics

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't know what you are talking about. The Sopranos is 20 years ago

What does this have to do with anything? You're also saying the Writer's Guild of America doesn't know what they're talking about, by the way.

AND was written and created by David Chase who I listed in my original reply as one of the greatest TV writers during the 1960's and 1970's, he is in his 70's or 80's now. David Chase wrote his best stuff for "The Rockford Files" 50 years ago.

I had to chuckle when you stated The Sopranos changed everything, loved that show but a lot it was taken from or inspired by hundreds of Rockford Files episodes.

You are remarkably dense, so out of touch with reality that you don't realize how ridiculous you sound. You're arguing stuff that is agreed within the industry as fact: The Sopranos changed everything. You are arguing that the three-point shot didn't change basketball. You chuckle at the notion that The Sopranos changed everything yet the entire industry feels that way and praises the show's impact and the barriers it broke down, several of which are linked below. We don't need to go over the specifics because it's been discussed a thousand times by the media.

Of course, every show is inspired by what came before it. That's how art works. You're saying David Chase's 16 episodes of The Rockford Files are better than anything he did on The Sopranos (I'm sure you're alone on this planet with that opinion), that he didn't hone or improve his craft in the nearly two decades between the two shows. That's ridiculous.

How David Chase and The Sopranos Changed Television Forever
‘The Sopranos’ at 20: David Chase and His Writing Team Reflect on Resonating Across Generations
https://www.popmatters.com/the-sopr...uential-television-drama-ever-2496186702.html
How Tony Soprano Changed Television
'Sopranos' impact still felt 20 years later

Reaction Score
You don't know what you are talking about. The Sopranos is 20 years ago AND was written and created by David Chase who I listed in my original reply as one of the greatest TV writers during the 1960's and 1970's, he is in his 70's or 80's now. David Chase wrote his best stuff for "The Rockford Files" 50 years ago.

David Chase - Wikipedia

There is some good drama nowadays but it is few and far between. I do enjoy "The Amerikans" and "The Man In The High Castle".

The Sopranos premier is to TV what the Beatles on Ed Sullivan is to Rock music.

Obviously the Beatles were influenced by The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Smokey Robinson etc just as David Chase was influenced by countless screenwriters and directors. HOWEVER the existence of The Beatles and the Sopranos totally blew open the horizon of possibilities in their respective art forms, nothing that came after them would have existed in the same way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't disagree, but I think part of it is because tastes have changed and technology has changed. A 30 minute sitcom on an obvious set feels almost like live theater more than TV. I've got a 75" 4K TV, Andy Griffith, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island don't really scale. Does modern TV do shows like that better than those shows did? No. It doesn't. Modern sitcoms mostly stink by comparison. But people are generally looking for bigger, epic programming.

Miami Vice started it all. It was the first time you watched TV made with movie making techniques. Big, almost all filmed on location, a memorable score and soundtrack, and a serial storyline woven into most episodes. It's the formula almost every big show in the current era follows, especially the cable and streaming shows. If the list was most impactful TV, to me that one is it.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but I think part of it is because tastes have changed and technology has changed. A 30 minute sitcom on an obvious set feels almost like live theater more than TV. I've got a 75" 4K TV, Andy Griffith, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island don't really scale. Does modern TV do shows like that better than those shows did? No. It doesn't. Modern sitcoms mostly stink by comparison. But people are generally looking for bigger, epic programming.

Miami Vice started it all. It was the first time you watched TV made with movie making techniques. Big, almost all filmed on location, a memorable score and soundtrack, and a serial storyline woven into most episodes. It's the formula almost every big show in the current era follows, especially the cable and streaming shows. If the list was most impactful TV, to me that one is it.
I think Hill Street Blues was doing all of that, maybe not as much with the mini music videos and not as flashy. Gotta be careful not to become too big of a MVice fanboy...

Reaction Score
The Sopranos premier is to TV what the Beatles on Ed Sullivan is to Rock music.

Obviously the Beatles were influenced by The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Smokey Robinson etc just as David Chase was influenced by countless screenwriters and directors. HOWEVER the existence of The Beatles and the Sopranos totally blew open the horizon of possibilities in their respective art forms, nothing that came after them would have existed in the same way.
You totally missed what I said. I never said David Chase was influenced by anyone except himself, his earlier works influenced his own later works, and in the case of The Rockford Files and the Sopranos, the influence is much more than just remarkable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What does this have to do with anything? You're also saying the Writer's Guild of America doesn't know what they're talking about, by the way.

You are remarkably dense, so out of touch with reality that you don't realize how ridiculous you sound. You're arguing stuff that is agreed within the industry as fact: The Sopranos changed everything. You are arguing that the three-point shot didn't change basketball. You chuckle at the notion that The Sopranos changed everything yet the entire industry feels that way and praises the show's impact and the barriers it broke down, several of which are linked below. We don't need to go over the specifics because it's been discussed a thousand times by the media.

Of course, every show is inspired by what came before it. That's how art works. You're saying David Chase's 16 episodes of The Rockford Files are better than anything he did on The Sopranos (I'm sure you're alone on this planet with that opinion), that he didn't hone or improve his craft in the nearly two decades between the two shows. That's ridiculous.

‘The Sopranos’ at 20: David Chase and His Writing Team Reflect on Resonating Across Generations
https://www.popmatters.com/the-sopr...uential-television-drama-ever-2496186702.html

If you don't think your joke of a writers guild has a duty to always pump up the current stuff vs stuff from years ago then I have land in Florida you might be interested in. How stupid and blind can you be to what's important.....making money. No one is saying that one show is better than the other, at least not me. I like them both, but the similarities are remarkable. Chase also produced almost all of the RF episodes in the four years he worked on that show. After he left it did lose something and was cancelled a couple years after that.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Gilda Radner was tremendous. Emily Litella and Rosanna Rosanadana.
Belushi's Samurai and Greek Diner skits
And of course, "Jane you ignorant nope."
The thing was, when something was funny, they made it a regular skit. But a lot of the stuff they tried was painfully unfunny. Thankfully, those attempts died and were never seen again.

Reaction Score
Breaking Bad is my all time favorite followed by
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Walking Dead a bit hit and miss with the seasons but has had a long run.

Reaction Score

Oh ok, so at first according to you, I was "just nostalgic", now I'm "incredibly dense" and "out of touch with reality". How much further can you escalate your criticisms? Trust me you are so wrong I am just going to stop here and let this go. You sound like my kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom