The Boneyard and Tennessee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Boneyard and Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
hmmmmm.......

I have read this thread twice now and have been pondering what to say.....

I for one do not care about Tennessee or the Summitt.....

There are some very nice LV fans that post on the board and are respectable and to them I am not referring too....

Its the malicious bitter ones that think we are "U-Cheat, UCan't" and what ever else they may say.......

Those bitter ole trolls are only getting what karma gives them and if that's a loss then so be it....

I havent visited the summitt since the Diana Taurasi "drug test" debacle. The things they said about her were just sad.....truly sad. I can only imagine what they are saying know about Geno and the lawsuit.

IF that is they way they chose to behave over there that's their board.....we shouldnt care.

And finally......why do I not like the VOLS.......two reasons.....

One of the most vile players I despise comes from there and had a nasty attitude when she played there (dont ask me who, i wont say out of respect) and the "time clock" issues with both Baylor/Rutgers. Lost complete respect for them after that.

SO, in conclusion.....let the summitt do the summitt and we will carry on as respectable free speech Boneyarders......

We have a great team and are going to have a great season so lets enjoy while we have GA and CD to lead the way.

GO UCONN!!!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... one program and Coach who reigned supreme until another program and Coach developed to challenge them, ...our becoming the #1 Womens Program, the falling off of their program, our continuing to be the #1 program, threatening to not only reach their 8 National Championships/7 for us, but the very real likelyhood that we are going to catch them and surpass them. Add Olympics dominated by former UCONN Stars,WNBA Success! All of this has made for great joy for UCONN Fans and "Unhappiness" for TENN Fans!

...Though we are not currently playing TENN we continue to be Rivals. We are also on a collision course with them as I stated earlier. They stand in our way for most NCs. So they will continue to be talked about on this board. That is sports!! ...
Ira
Superb summary

Reaction Score
And the rivalry escalates with Tenn fans circulating a petition to rename the NCAA National Championship Trophy after Pat Summitt. I'm surprised that there isn't a petition countering that petition.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Shouldn't you give some considering to the team that has the best winning percentage over all time? When you consider the, uh, less than stellar pre-Geno results, it's fairly impressive that the Connecticut winning percentage is the best overall.

Or maybe you should name it after the coach with the best winning percentage of all time (DI). Yes, let's call it the Barmore National Championship trophy.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Love VAMike's reminder that fan is derived from the word fanatic. That is why I think we sometimes act a little less than adult sometimes when it comes to obsessing over a rivalry that really isn't really a rivalry anymore.
Nevertheless, I don't hate the Volunteer state as much as I dislike the only team with more championships than the Huskies (for now). Still, whenever the subject of the the Vols comes up, I feel a need to go hit something orange.

Reaction Score
Just wondering about all the positive comments being made about UCONN on The Summitt that we'll never get to read.....

I agree 100%. Now that The Summitt is a paid for site, are they not irrelevant? I mean how many people are actually reading their postings? I believe they are now irrelevant. Let them hate all they want.

Reaction Score
"... it's not just the UConn-Tennessee rivalry; it's the Boneyard-Summitt rivalry, too. "

This phrase says it all, and those of us who have been around for the last decade understand this (I started reading this board right before the "blizzard game" in Hartford, all those years ago) but now I think that this constant mentioning of Tenn's team only makes the checkerboard crew feel more important and relevant than they are.

This is just my take, anyway - FWIW

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
but now I think that this constant mentioning of Tenn's team only makes the checkerboard crew feel more important and relevant than they are.

Anything we can do to help them out :) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
No, you're confusing them with dementors :p

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I've really enjoyed participating in this community over the last two or three years, getting to understand what is PC and what is taboo, and coming to grips with its proclivities and habits.

Still, I have been slightly surprised and bemused over the Yard's coverage of the Lady Vols this current season.

On November 9th (seems like yesterday), Voulguy posted a thread noting that UTenn was losing its first game badly to an unranked team. 142 replies and 5,842 vies later, the subject had been exhaustedly explored, including Holly's inexperience and the seeds of her dismissal, the underachievement of the still, largely All-American (HS.) outfit, the absence of a coherent offense, yadda, yadda, all the usual boneyard loving gloom and doom. And of course, there were those voices in the wilderness querying the preoccupation with a team that we don't even play anymore.

Well, since that not-so-far away time, the Lady Vols have won two games, have looked pretty good (to the best of my knowledge, listening in on their radio broadcasts), Holly has started to get her system in and the kids are coming around, especially the bigger gals, Graves, (who we always recognized as a talent) and Isabelle Harrison who seems to be finding her way. The 24 assists were a big improvement too.

TO TOTAL SILENCE ON THE YARD

My point is, that we seem to love to wallow in their misery, but are completely willing to ignore any news positive except I suppose when it concerns or might threaten us.

And by the way: Graves was SEC player of the week and all their recruits signed on the dotted line.

Reaction Score
And the rivalry escalates with Tenn fans circulating a petition to rename the NCAA National Championship Trophy after Pat Summitt. I'm surprised that there isn't a petition countering that petition.
But why? Pat Summitt was one of best coaches ever. She ran the Tenn program for 39 years, won almost 1100 games, was a player our first Olympic Women's Basketball team that won the silver in Montreal and is in both Basketball Hall of Fames. If you were going to name the NCAA trophy after a former player and/or coach of women's basketball, her name would be one of the top ones to choose from.

We aren't that petty.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But why? Pat Summitt was one of best coaches ever. She ran the Tenn program for 39 years, won almost 1100 games, was a player our first Olympic Women's Basketball team that won the silver in Montreal and is in both Basketball Hall of Fames. If you were going to name the NCAA trophy after a former player and/or coach of women's basketball, her name would be one of the top ones to choose from.

We aren't that petty.
I think part of the problem with choosing any person to honor in that way would be problematic simply because you aren't going to be able to agree on the criteria. For example, if you're going to name the trophy after a great coach, there are many to choose from. Do you choose someone that won a lot? That had an impressive undefeated streak? That birthed women's hoops into being or one that brought the sport into the public mainstream? I defy anyone to create a simple definition of "great coach". And since it's not the coaches, but the players who play the game, an argument could be made that the trophy should be named after the game's greatest player. The stickiness of that situation should be obvious to all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
but now I think that this constant mentioning of Tenn's team only makes the checkerboard crew feel more important and relevant than they are.
But don't care how they feel. Except we want them to feel sad about their team/season. Whether they feel important or relevant, we don't care.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

We aren't that petty.
Don't underestimate us. (well some of us)

Reaction Score
NCAA championships have no subjective qualities to it. You win the tournament, you win the trophy. Why should it be "named" anything other than NCAA Championship?

Keep individual naming for honoring player achievements where a panel of voters determines the winner - Heisman Trophy, Wooden Award, etc. Or for charitable organizations - Jimmy V, etc. You want to have a Pat Summit Courage award, fine by me. I just don't agree with "naming" the trophy or championship after an individual. And I would feel the same way about a Geno Auriemma named championship just in case anyone wondered.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn Chapette, I gotta agree with you. Its the NCAA Championship Trophy.

As far as all this rejoicing when Tenn loses. For me its like Christmas and I expect alot of Christmas's this season. For those who have been around since the 95 season and all the harassment, and negitive nasty comments we had to live with, Tenn losing is something we relish with satisfaction. For those of you who werent around back then it was unbelievable and after having to live with their threads and posts trying to bring UConn and everybody including posters on this board down. They will stop at nothing and the 37 page NCAA violation proves it. Now they live in their own misery. Now they get to watch UConn and Geno break records. The ulitmate will be UConn Geno and CD win more NCs then Pat and Tenn. That record cant happen fast enough for me. So when fans talk about Why we rejoice when Tenn loses its because of what Tenn their fans and most people with Tenn have put us through over the years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing the trophy named after Pat or Kathy Rush.

Especially once Geno wins nine of 'em. ;)

Reaction Score
Remember when the Vols raised a ruckas, about handmade cardboard signs given
to a recruit by a poster at Midnite madness, to the NCAA. After that no one was allowed to bring in any signs. While pat did not cause any problem for the Vols with her recruitment of Ann Strother, with the team wearing t-shirts with Ann's baby picture on them, or the a LOI dropped from a helium balloom, the NCAA later installed rules diapproving of such actions later.

I get so PO'd whenever I think of all the crap the Vol's dumped on Uconn. I will never wish anything good for them, ever!
Believe me there is so much to tell , but will save it for another time. The old timers would know what I'm talking about.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
I think part of the problem with choosing any person to honor in that way would be problematic simply because you aren't going to be able to agree on the criteria... The stickiness of that situation should be obvious to all.

You’re right, of course.
I dunno, perhaps a reasonable compromise might include also simultaneously naming the NCAA Final Four Tournament after Coach Auriemma?
Since UTenn has repeatedly proven no longer good enough to compete in Final Fours (and their recent Chattanooga derailment suggests that won’t be changing anytime soon), our letting Coach Summitt present the NCAA trophy would ensure Tenn is at least somehow represented at the Ball. State in a new NCAA Compromise the Final Four will also be named after Coach Auriemma.
So each year Geno would welcome everyone to his FF tournament (No NCAA cost: he’s there every year with his team anyway), and then Pat gets to regularly pass the new Championship recognition to UConn publically. A reasonably symbolic update for the modern era of WCBB?
;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As far as the message boards go, I liken the current UConn-Tennessee situation (two best programs in WCBB history; do not play one another) as a situation involving an ex-spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend. After a breakup, you (the general "you," not specific to anyone here or to UConn alone) make statements about focusing on yourself, concentrating on moving forward, worrying about your own life, etc., yet you are constantly keeping track of your ex's Facebook posts, having people tell you where your ex is going or what your ex is doing, etc., and secretly bask in and derive pleasure from some of the difficult situations, harships, or setbacks that your ex endures.

Just an observation from a neutral party. :)

Reaction Score
As far as the message boards go, I liken the current UConn-Tennessee situation (two best programs in WCBB history; do not play one another) as a situation involving an ex-spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend. After a breakup, you (the general "you," not specific to anyone here or to UConn alone) make statements about focusing on yourself, concentrating on moving forward, worrying about your own life, etc., yet you are constantly keeping track of your ex's Facebook posts, having people tell you where your ex is going or what your ex is doing, etc., and secretly bask in and derive pleasure from some of the difficult situations, harships, or setbacks that your ex endures.

Just an observation from a neutral party. :)
Hopefully not spoken from personal experience, Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom