The block by breanna Stewart was amazing | The Boneyard

The block by breanna Stewart was amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if Stewart leads the nation in blocks this year. Most teams won't challenge BG and I think it will be her lowest blocks total of her four years. Stewart may very likely end the year at the top of the list.

And I agree. That block was SICK!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Loved KML's reaction.

What part of the game did the block occur in? I want to go right to it as soon as the archived game is up.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
What part of the game did the block occur in? I want to go right to it as soon as the archived game is up.
Mike - 11:01 in the 1st Half.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Both announcers were laughing... She sent it right out of the stadium. Bree is going to be something special. And to think we have literally almost 4 years to enjoy and appreciate this - it's going to be a spectacular ride.

Reaction Score
About a zillion years ago, Bill Russell, known for his blocks, commented that it isn't enough to block the shot. You need to gain possession. If you block it OB the opponent maintains possession. Several of UConn's blocks tonight were OB off UConn. One of those tonight ended up with Purdue nailing a 3. Of course it's better than giving up a layup, and it tends to demoralize your opponent, but if the goal is perfection then both Stewart and Stokes need to keep working on it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
About a zillion years ago, Bill Russell, known for his blocks, commented that it isn't enough to block the shot. You need to gain possession. If you block it OB the opponent maintains possession. Several of UConn's blocks tonight were OB off UConn. One of those tonight ended up with Purdue nailing a 3. Of course it's better than giving up a layup, and it tends to demoralize your opponent, but if the goal is perfection then both Stewart and Stokes need to keep working on it.
From the angle she was coming from, it would have been basically impossible to gain possession.

Yes, on the ensuing inbounds play, Purdue hit a three, but that's still going to be a lower percentage shot on balance. I'd take that if the opponent was intimidated regarding going into the lane.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if Stewart leads the nation in blocks this year. Most teams won't challenge BG and I think it will be her lowest blocks total of her four years. Stewart may very likely end the year at the top of the list.

I agree that BG's reputuation will precede her, and justifiably so. Also, with Stewart playing PF, she tends to have more of a rover role on defense. That also may increase the number of opportunities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was a point of emphasis for the men's team during the Emeka years - to block and regain posession.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maintaining possession is desirable, but there is something to be said for getting the crowd into the game and demoralizing the opposing team.

Reaction Score

Imani Stafford (i think her name is spelled like that) from texas had 9 blocks... Sooooo, im just sayyying, there can be a race between Griner, Stewart, and Stafford.. Can you imagine the three of them on an USA senior National team..?? :) Forget that, imagine Griner and Stewart on the same U.S. senior National Team..?? :) :) Now that's what i call a true "Block Party"

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

Many, many to follow.

Take a look at the wide open floor after the Purdue player goes by KML. Sure looks like a cakewalk to a layup from there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've been impressed with the number of blocks that Uconn has also 'rebounded' this year - BS and SD both did that last night and I think KS as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Many, many to follow.

Take a look at the wide open floor after the Purdue player goes by KML. Sure looks like a cakewalk to a layup from there.
Looking at that again, I don't see another player she could have tapped it to, so swatting it out of bounds was the right play.

Reaction Score
Loved KML's reaction.
Even more amazing were the 9 blocks Kelly Schumacher had against The Lady Vols in the 2000 NCAA Championship game. Just to put 1 blocked shot against Purdue into perspective. ;)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Even more amazing were the 9 blocks Kelly Schumacher had against The Lady Vols in the 2000 NCAA Championship game. Just to put 1 blocked shot against Purdue into perspective. ;)

That's my favorite block party! Schumacher killed them in that game and really had 10 blocks but didn't get credit for one because of a foul call!

Reaction Score
Imani Stafford (i think her name is spelled like that) from texas had 9 blocks... Sooooo, im just sayyying, there can be a race between Griner, Stewart, and Stafford.. Can you imagine the three of them on an USA senior National team..?? :) Forget that, imagine Griner and Stewart on the same U.S. senior National Team..?? :) :) Now that's what i call a true "Block Party"

The team leader in blocks isn't Stewart (8) but Stokes (11). And on a per minute basis, Stokes is even further ahead. Stokes = 72 minutes, Stewart = 107 mins., which translates to a block every 6.5 minutes of playing time for Stokes, every 13.4 minutes for Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom