The Black Hole of Sports | The Boneyard

The Black Hole of Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
After the NBA and NHL finals, it is a dead time in sports until the Fall. Especially this year that occurs every 4 years, a year after the World Cup and no Olympics. Plus the entire sport of baseball is on the ever-so-gradual downslope. And frankly, does anyone truly care about the WNBA? The Connecticut Sun blow and are barely ever broadcasted. It's just a long grind until basketball season.

What will you watch this summer, if anything? Tour de France? Gold Cup? MLB? WNBA? I personally enjoy Wimbledon.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Golf and NASCAR for me. I always try to catch some of the Tour de France if I get up early enough.

Reaction Score
Its also the off year for Calhoun's alumni game at Mohegan. It always was a biennial event so im expecting it again in 2016. Thats always a nice UConn basketball fix in the summer and holds me over until the season starts.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
F1 religiously and Tour de France. And of course MLB.

Reaction Score
I agree completely.
On the bright side, I tend to get a lot done between May and September, so it works for me.

Reaction Score
After the NBA and NHL finals, it is a dead time in sports until the Fall. Especially this year that occurs every 4 years, a year after the World Cup and no Olympics. Plus the entire sport of baseball is on the ever-so-gradual downslope

Yeah, the ratings and attendance figures for the NHL and NBA are just killing MLB. I mean last year, MLB only had a total attendance of just under 74,000,000 (7th highest all-time). So it's obviously on the down-slope.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Yeah, the ratings and attendance figures for the NHL and NBA are just killing MLB. I mean last year, MLB only had a total attendance of just under 74,000,000 (7th highest all-time). So it's obviously on the down-slope.
Sure MLB attendance is still going to be fine for a while. I'm just saying, in the younger generation, soccer is starting to compete with baseball. I see many kids now watching the BPL and there's far less interest in the MLB right now in kids than say 10-20+ years ago. It could be many decades down the road, but it just feels like baseball will eventually go stale.

Reaction Score
The NBA draft that should be directly after the finals. I can only watch so much baseball, thanks to TCF you can watch uconnhuskygames.com. Just enjoy the weather after the winter we all had, football season will get here eventually then thats when basketball season gets here fast.

Reaction Score
Now is usually when I catch up on all the TV shows I skipped during football and basketball season.

Reaction Score
It's sad how much interest in baseball has diminished. I'm still a huge baseball fan, but it seems there are fewer fans each year. Once America's pastime, and now largely an afterthought.

I can understand why people think baseball is boring, but I still love it. It also perfectly complements the UConn basketball season. UConn plays October-April, the Yankees play April-October.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Tennis. Lots and lots of tennis. Wimbledon is a week later this year which brings it too mid-July. And then the US Open series starts in late July which leads all the way to the US Open in late August.

And at least this year, Gold Cup. After today's win in Germany I can't wait to see the USMNT in action.

Also, every year that goes by is another year I become less interested in baseball. There are a lot of reasons why, but mostly I just can't deal with the slog anymore. It's too much.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

You can laugh all you want, Ignoramus, but the six least-watched World Series nationally have all come since 2007, while the 2014 World Cup set ratings records in the US.

Reaction Score
Don't really watch sports in the summer anymore. I'll catch a game every once in a while but basically stopped watching baseball a few years back because I realized it is incredibly boring, same with golf. NBA draft and Wimbledon is all I can think of and in World Cup years I'll watch as much soccer as possible.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Tennis. Lots and lots of tennis. Wimbledon is a week later this year which brings it too mid-July. And then the US Open series starts in late July which leads all the way to the US Open in late August.

And at least this year, Gold Cup. After today's win in Germany I can't wait to see the USMNT in action.

Also, every year that goes by is another year I become less interested in baseball. There are a lot of reasons why, but mostly I just can't deal with the slog anymore. It's too much.
Plenty of exciting tennis to come. It feels like Wimbledon is more open this year. Djoker, Murray, Fed and Wawrinka all have a legitimate chance to win.

Very exciting win today by USMNT. Huge confidence boost for the youngsters.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
MLB's television demographics are amazingly bad.

What's more amazing to me is after decades of listening to endless Yankees and Red Sox talk is how little the topic comes up anymore.

Personally baseball went from my favorite sport to about 6th on the list in a decade. I somehow follow it through an iphone like it's 1908. I read about it after the fact without ever seeing a game.

Reaction Score
You can laugh all you want, Ignoramus, but the six least-watched World Series nationally have all come since 2007, while the 2014 World Cup set ratings records in the US.

How are the NBA and NHL finals ratings compared to the 80's and 90's? Oh, that's right, down big.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Plenty of exciting tennis to come. It feels like Wimbledon is more open this year. Djoker, Murray, Fed and Wawrinka all have a legitimate chance to win.

Very exciting win today by USMNT. Huge confidence boost for the youngsters.
I'm a diehard Nadal fan so the last few Wimbledons have been tough to watch. And this year in general has been really tough seeing Rafa struggle like he has... I think this year's Wimby should be fun and pretty wide open, but I still feel like Djoker is the overwhelming favorite. Outside of Stan's out of this world French Open final's performance, Djoker has been basically untouchable on tour this year. It will be tough to beat him.

Also can't wait to see how Jurgen uses the young guys in Gold Cup. Should be fun.

Reaction Score
anyone watching the women's world cup? I watched some of the colombia vs mexico game the other day, and it's just bad...

I love soccer, but I still can't even get myself to watch most of the women's games. With the exception of maybe 3 or 4 teams it's just terrible

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The Olympics do great ratings every four years too. Doesn't mean people want to watch track and field and ice dancing all the time.
You are comparing apples and oranges.
Believe it or not, there are more than 2 sports in the Olympics. The Olympics bring together the best athletes in the world across 28 sports, for a 3 week event every 4 years. Of course there are going to be great ratings.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The Olympics do great ratings every four years too. Doesn't mean people want to watch track and field and ice dancing all the time.
Why would people watch the World Cup if they don't like soccer?

Reaction Score
MLB's television demographics are amazingly bad.

What's more amazing to me is after decades of listening to endless Yankees and Red Sox talk is how little the topic comes up anymore.

Personally baseball went from my favorite sport to about 6th on the list in a decade. I somehow follow it through an iphone like it's 1908. I read about it after the fact without ever seeing a game.
Baseball is dead.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm a diehard Nadal fan so the last few Wimbledons have been tough to watch. And this year in general has been really tough seeing Rafa struggle like he has... I think this year's Wimby should be fun and pretty wide open, but I still feel like Djoker is the overwhelming favorite. Outside of Stan's out of this world French Open final's performance, Djoker has been basically untouchable on tour this year. It will be tough to beat him.

Also can't wait to see how Jurgen uses the young guys in Gold Cup. Should be fun.
I'm a diehard Fed fan and I can admit it's just not the same without Nadal at the top of his game. His play style seems to be taking the inevitable physical toll on his body.
Murray is playing some of the best tennis of his career, and he'll be back at home with the crowd behind him. Plus Fed's got to realize he doesn't have too many chances left, and Wimbledon seems to always be his best shot. Then again, Djokovic is at the top of his game, and Stan has been playing great tennis for, really, at least 2 years now. Just so many storylines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom