The biggest disappointment of the game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The biggest disappointment of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
watanabe said:
It appears that neither the team or this forum were ready for a reality check.
Stanford played an incredible game. They deserved to win.
UConn was completely off their game. I wondered what happened to our defensive game, it wasn't there.
Stewie looked a bit under the weather. KML and MoJett didn't seem to awake. The team didn't show up.
Nurse was there, but to expect her to carry the team is simply unrealistic.
I kinda feel bad for the younger Samuelson sister. She may feel like she made a mistake right about now. Her sisters were Fabulous. Hope that works out as things go along.

I agreed with and liked everything about your post except the last paragraph because I would think that the kid is smart enough to realize that the entire record speaks for itself and not this one game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
While our O was different because of what SD brought to the floor the last few years, it was the D that was the problem. When Stanford had 38 at the half, I thought, well, we'll adjust and get then back to under 30 for the second half. It didn't happen. The trademark of making life miserable for the biggest scoring threats on the other team didn't happen either. MJ had an uncharacteristically unsure performance. If that trend were to continue, than this year could be different. It still took a very good shot to get the game into OT by a good team on a home floor that is notoriously tough on opponents.

Reaction Score
Losses Happen....You are always disappointed when you lose....But the biggest disappointment was seeing how the Stanford guards got in the lane so easily. I am sure Geno will "speak" to the team about that.

I really wouldn't want to be at the next practice. And I will pray for the players.
So the open practice for season ticket holders on Thursday should be quite interesting. I can't wait!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What about Coach's plan for the last min/30 second of a closely contested game?(or the lack of it)--either on the defense side or the offense side. Maybe he had a plan but the players did not follow through? Uconn has not closed out a close game for YEARS! (since 2011!) So they had better have a plan/execute it in those locations.
Also, Stewie had 3-second violation twice, that could be something to work on as well if she is expected to post up....
We do not know what Geno's plan was, we know what transpired. Geno has often said that is outlined in the huddle is most often not what happens on the court. He has noted that he they lay out something and he looks at everyone and they all nod and then they go out and what occurs is unrecognizable.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
We do not know what Geno's plan was, we know what transpired. Geno has often said that is outlined in the huddle is most often not what happens on the court. He has noted that he they lay out something and he looks at everyone and they all nod and then they go out and what occurs is unrecognizable.

Very, very, true.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sarcasm....hmmmm....

Seriously, the loss is disappointing. But not as disappointing as some of the things said on the game thread. IMO
Wait do you actually find the game thread more disappointing than the Loss?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wait do you actually find the game thread more disappointing than the Loss?

Does it really matter? It's a new day.

If you really must know, then take a look at some of my posts. It will give you some idea of my thoughts during and right after the game. Fair enough?

Reaction Score
I did not get to watch the game, but just spent an hour or so reading over the game thread. As I understand it from reading the posts, we lost because;
1) Kia did not start and/or because she fouled out.
2) Stewie, in spite of her 23 points and 10 boards did not seem to be taking the game seriously.
3) KML is hopelessly out of shape.
4) Saniya, in spite of her 20 points, is a liability.]
5) Geno is a terrible coach in close games.
6) MoJet did not show up.
7) Kiah is a liability on offense.
8) Gabby, Courtney and Sadie did not play.

So it seems that we are doomed. Or maybe not. Could just be that all of the above is hogwash. Seems possible that maybe this was just one of those Murphy's law nights, as happens to other teams frequently but to our team very seldom. But then, as I said, I did not get to see the game.
Nope, not Murphy's Law - I think your 1-8 summed it up very nicely.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
UCONN played as bad a game as I have seen in a number of years.
Stanford executed their game plan and we were outcoached, outhustled, outplayed, outwhatevered etc., etc.
UCONN lost by 2 points in OT.

UCONN has the best coaching staff in the country.
UCONN has the best player in the country.
By the time significant games roll around we will have the best TEAM in the country.

A loss like this at this point in time may have been the best thing that could have happened to this team. A sloppy "WHEW" win would have done a lot less to further the mental development of the team.

New win streak starts the next game.

30+ - 0 the rest of the way

Reaction Score
Easy to cope.
Stanford played a brilliant game, congratulations!
I personally think Geno (in his heart of hearts) is please that it turned out this way.
I hardly saw him up and coaching like past important games. This loss now sets the tone for everyone to focus, learn and gel as a team. Also important is taking the target off our backs.
Only ONE game is important and that one is in March. The rest of the journey is making sure we get there.

Reaction Score
The biggest disappointment for me with the game was, we did not hold that 10 point lead with 6:30 minutes left. But we will figure those things out and build on it. Great game by Stanford.

Reaction Score
Eh, that doesn't really bother me. It's expected. Just as there is Tony, there will be anti-tony's. They are just frustrated, and rightfully so. It was a frustrating game.

For me the worst part was, will be, the confidence shift. I imagine UCONN players will have lost a lot of confidence, realizing they can be beat. Going in knowing you will somehow overcome and win is a great thing to have. That's gone now. And worse is the confidence other teams will gain. They now know UCONN can be beat. The name on our shirt just lost some of it's power. Gonna make for a lot tougher season.

That's a tremendous observation, Meyers.
Reminds me of Tiger Woods, who for years wielded a similar aura of invincibility. Opponents would pee in their pants and fold when they saw his name on the leaderboard. They were literally afraid of him and even though many were extraordinary golfers tee to green and they had somewhat comparable skill sets, they could not match his mental steeliness and self-confidence. They were beaten before matches ever began. However, when his play diminished (missing cuts and scoring in the 70's), mostly the result of injuries and his fall from grace, rookies and never-before-heard-from players started winning PGA tournaments left and right that Tiger had previously dominated. The Lilliputians watched Monday's game and for the first time start to actually believe they, too, might beat King Conn.

Reaction Score
Gee Buzz...did I touch a sore spot? The fans were definitely expressing their disappointment in UConn's performance in the same manner I would expect a bunch of spoiled children who expected to be handed an easy win and instead got a challenge and didn't know how to handle it. Possibly they were embarrassed by their pre game hubris and decided that attack was the best defense.

My sensibilities? Not anyone's concern. I am just amazed how quickly folks turn on a dime when things start going south. It's like playing cards online with anonymous people or in real life if you wish who after losing a hand or two just abruptly leave the game. They don't know how to lose.

There is no objectivity, just this sucks or that one lost the game for "us" and then dissing everything about the team. And I found that disappointing, to say the least.

And it has nothing to do with what Geno will tell them. I mentioned in more than one post that there will be a lot of watching of the tape on this one, and that implies that there will be a lot of teaching moments. Geno knows this team. He will get it done.
No, I'm good! Thanks for the clarification. I know in the past some posters are overtly sensitive to any criticism of the girls performances while others have probably gone off a cliff and I just didn't know what posts might have bothered you. I agree that there needs to be some balance because these aren't seasoned professionals though they are earning scholarships based on their skills and potential contributions to the program overall. I felt like some of the poise and decisions that we've come to expect from Geno's squad were absent in key moments of this game. It's quite unusual and disappointing that they played a key role in this loss. As you said, it'll actually probably be a key learning tool for Geno and the staff to use to make them better. I felt that there was enough experience on this team were some of those errors would not have happened but they did and they are correctable (I hope).

Reaction Score
I was disappointed by the uncharacteristic lack of weak side help on Cardinal drives to the hoop. I was very pleased by Saniya's, Kia's and Morgan's performances
I'll say that Saniya's offensive performance was really good and it's nice to see her confidence growth. However, on the defensive side, Doris Burke spoke frequently and it showed, how Saniya's defensive lapses contributed mightily to many Stanford scores of easy baskets. When Kia Nurse fouled out, Stanford soared. By the way, the officiating was really bad, with so many cheap or non existent fouls being called and it played heavily in Stanford's favor. Losing Morgan and Kia really crippled UConn because they both were performing at a very high level for the Huskies unlike some of the other ladies. I do think Stanford played very well and was very opportunistic but that isn't the type of play that we've come to expect from a typical Huskie team. There were mental errors galore, particularly later in the game, that were so totally un-Husky like.

Reaction Score
Stanford did play an outstanding game in their new system. Congratulations to Tara and the Cardinal. The biggest disappointment to me was UConn's failure to match them, in intensity, intelligence, and execution, on both sides of the ball. I'm realistic and recognize that offense comes and goes, some days the ball just won't go down the hoop. So be it. Consistency comes from defense, or at least usually does with the Huskies.

Tonight, instead of the tightly knit team D effort we're used to, UConn looked too much like the ragged defenses of all those other teams that the Huskies routinely exploit. This also was not a matter of one or two players, the failures of help side, to close out and to deny the rim were on all sides. This team simply does not know how to play high quality team D. How many times did Stanford guards slash at UConn in ways that would traditionally have been choked off in a sea of hands 15 feet out, end up instead with clear paths straight to the hoop? Orrange and Thompson may be good guards, but the reality is that they are not an order of magnitude more talented than the UConn backcourt, contrary to what we saw tonight.

I foresee serious work on D in practices the next couple of weeks. I'm sure Geno doesn't need anyone to tell him that fundamental defensive flaws can lead in short order to a lost season, and will be taking major steps to address it.
You are so right! What was really disappointing was the defense because that's always been the catalyst for the offense. It failed mightily and it's amazing that one of the few people to step up on the defense was Kia Nurse whose presence was missed mightily when she fouled out on another very suspect ticky ticky type foul. The absurdity of some of those calls, which in a lot of cases did nothing to impede the offensive player, was through the roof. I know they were called somewhat consistently but it really came back and bit UConn because two of the Huskies who were having the most impact in the game were lost, Kia and Morgan. Morgan scored the first baskets of overtime and was really effecting the game and poof, she's gone. Kia's loss opened the door to many easy, easy baskets at the expense of Saniya. To have anyone score that many points, even with an overtime session against a typical UConn team is crazy. Hopefully, some corrections will have an immediate effect.

Reaction Score
I was extremely disappointed right from the first camera shot of Geno. With all the talk about KML's condition, I thought Geno really looked like he's packed on quite a few pounds. That, and his face was bright red during a lot of the game. It's a long season, and hopefully he'll coach himself into shape. While he works in that direction , he might try to calm down a bit on the sidelines.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That, and his face was bright red during a lot of the game. It's a long season, and hopefully he'll coach himself into shape.

Probably residual from his trip to Napa over the weekend before the game :)

Reaction Score
Only ONE game is important and that one is in March. The rest of the journey is making sure we get there.

You mean the AAC Championship game?

The National Championship game is in April. ;)

Reaction Score
The defensive breakdowns seemed more systematic than individual to me, the same problems recurring time after time, regardless of who was involved. Although there were certainly occasions when Saniya fell short and seemed lost, she was far from the only one, and the same weaknesses of interior defense cropped up even when she wasn't on the floor. TVDV had obviously discovered weaknesses in MoJett's D at the point of attack, and had her guards ready to exploit them. Kiah was slow in rotating in to protect the rim, and Kaleena was just plain slow. Even Kia, who played well for a frosh, failed to steer cutters toward help defense, and often ended up one-on-one with Thompson in the lane, not a good place for anyone (except Thompson.) The only UConn player whose defense was solid to my eyes was TBS, and Stanford succeeded in luring her well out onto the wing to help open up the lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom