The biggest disappointment of the game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The biggest disappointment of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Stanford did play an outstanding game in their new system. Congratulations to Tara and the Cardinal. The biggest disappointment to me was UConn's failure to match them, in intensity, intelligence, and execution, on both sides of the ball.

Perfect summary.

Reaction Score
The real stunner about this one was just how poorly the team played from a mental perspective, especially for a UConn team. Possibly among the worst in many, many years.

Its one thing to get beat. Quite another to just chuck it away...

The game was there for the taking most of the 2nd half, but UConn continually declined - a missed layup, a pass to nowhere, 3 seconds, a ball out of bounds, poor shot selection, a missed foul shot, a 5 second violation, poor call by the refs, etc... Then on the defensive end - blown assignments - usually after allowing Lili Thompson to dribble around until she out-quicked her defender to the basket - without even a hint of weak-side rotation.

The last shot for the tie - did anyone watching expect otherwise?!?

The sheer number of uncontested layups - good grief, I thought I was watching UConn - Tennessee (in reverse). Or worse - a Knick game!?!? All that was missing was Walt Frazier's exclaiming "Its the matador 'D'!!"

The last play of the game summed it up perfectly - down 2 with 2.6 seconds to go - nobody seems to know who's inbounding.

It's KML.

No, its Stokes.

Finally, UConn dribbles out the clock without reaching the mid-court line. Don't think I've ever seen that one before - UConn or otherwise. Didn't even seem to be looking to pass. Just dribbled it out. Nothing even remotely resembling a last shot...

UConn's last minute close-game troubles continue - last seen vs Notre Dame (though it all worked out in the end).

Of course, that's the glass half-full - Notre Dame as exhibit "A." Some film study, defensive adjustments (Stanford's 49.2% FG pct reflecting the many uncontested layups), better shooting night, etc... and UConn wins the rematch by 20.

There's the play of Kia Nurse - a freshman - playing like a senior. Saniya Chong, vastly improved over last year.

I'd be curious to see UConn's record post-Taurasi, in games decided in the last minute. Maya Moore's steal. Baylor. I suspect UConn's at or below .500...

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Hats off to a well coached team and well executed game plan that Stanford put on display.Obviously,they saw something that was glaring enough,in the weaknesses of this Connecticut team,to take advantage of.
However,it is very early into the season,and games like this,usually make you a better team,in the long run.
I am sure Connecticut would have loved to go undefeated.The major goal,though,is to win the trophy,in the end.
This will be a learning tool,and a motivational option.
After losing two girls,who were not only outstanding,but somewhat of the glue to hold this team together in times like these,anyone would understand that they may stumble once or twice on the way to the big dance.
The coaches have been here before,and I have complete and firm confidence,that they will correct the flaws this team demonstrated Monday night,and get this team ready for the challenges that are coming.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'd be curious to see UConn's record post-Taurasi, in games decided in the last minute. Maya Moore's steal. Baylor. I suspect UConn's at or below .500...

From Rich Elliot:

The Huskies are 0-7 in games decided by five points or less since Maya Moore graduated in 2011

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
From Rich Elliot:

The Huskies are 0-7 in games decided by five points or less since Maya Moore graduated in 2011

Maybe true
But off the top of my head I surely don't remember 7 losses.
Was it 3 to Notre Dame and 1 to Baylor in 12-13
and none last year?
Where's 7?

Reaction Score
It appears that neither the team or this forum were ready for a reality check.
Stanford played an incredible game. They deserved to win.
UConn was completely off their game. I wondered what happened to our defensive game, it wasn't there.
Stewie looked a bit under the weather. KML and MoJett didn't seem to awake. The team didn't show up.
Nurse was there, but to expect her to carry the team is simply unrealistic.
I kinda feel bad for the younger Samuelson sister. She may feel like she made a mistake right about now. Her sisters were Fabulous. Hope that works out as things go along.

Reaction Score
Maybe true
and none last year?
Where's 7?
St. John's was another I think.

Reaction Score
If UCONN had to lose a game I'm glad it was during the regular season. They may not lose another game during 2014-2015 season.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe true
and none last year?
Where's 7?
I think Rich Elliot is wrong. By my count, there were actually 8 losses by 5 or fewer points since Maya graduated, but only by counting games that went to overtime as well, even if the Huskies lost by more than 5 by the game's end. If we don't count OT games that ended with a deficit of 6 or above, then there are only 5 such games (in red):

2011-12
1. @Baylor 66-61
2. @Notre Dame 74-67 (OT)
3. St. John's 57-56

(lost to Notre Dame >5pts.)
4. Notre Dame 83-75 (OT)

2012-13
5. Notre Dame 73-72
(loss to Baylor >5pts.)
6. @Notre Dame 96-87 (OT)
7. Notre Dame 61-59

2013-14
no losses at all

2014-15
8. @Stanford 88-86 (OT)

Losing a total of 10 games in over 3 seasons of play is still pretty damn good, especially if you have 2 NC's during that time as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I kinda feel bad for the younger Samuelson sister. She may feel like she made a mistake right about now. Her sisters were Fabulous. Hope that works out as things go along.

Do you really think Katie Lou Samuelson is questioning her commitment to UConn over last night's game? Are you serious?

Reaction Score
I've seen UConn have to work on offense before, but they did score their points. Some decisions in crunch-time were questionable. But, the biggest disappointment was the defense. UConn has been able to go on runs, mostly due to the effectiveness of the defense. Stanford was able to identify the defensive weaknesses. I know Geno hates to lose, but I bet he makes the most of this loss. I hope he has enough time to get them ready for Notre Dame, but I'm sure they will be ready for the big dance.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Who is going to be the emotional leader on this team? Where is the fire going to come from? Talent is not an issue with this team. So we will see. On a side note, there is this, which I think is interesting and likely true:

Ally Auriemma @allyauriemma · 9h9 hours ago
I bet Dad is secretly very, very happy. Pressure is off. The team needed this. And we will get angry.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For me was the negativity of some of the fans on the game thread.
Eh, that doesn't really bother me. It's expected. Just as there is Tony, there will be anti-tony's. They are just frustrated, and rightfully so. It was a frustrating game.

For me the worst part was, will be, the confidence shift. I imagine UCONN players will have lost a lot of confidence, realizing they can be beat. Going in knowing you will somehow overcome and win is a great thing to have. That's gone now. And worse is the confidence other teams will gain. They now know UCONN can be beat. The name on our shirt just lost some of it's power. Gonna make for a lot tougher season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ally Auriemma @allyauriemma · 9h9 hours ago
I bet Dad is secretly very, very happy. Pressure is off. The team needed this. And we will get angry.
I doubt her dad is happy. Don't think he likes to lose. However I'm sure he can use this very constructively. And as always the team that plays us after our loss, look out. I feel very sorry for Creighton. (no, I really don't, let's crush them :D)

Reaction Score
I feel very sorry for Creighton. (no, I really don't, let's crush them :D)

I watched a Creighton game the other day (Wichita State). Defense. Don't give the skinny guard with the pony tail room to breathe, ever, regardless of how far she is from the basket, and keep a big body leaning on the post player with the afro inside. Do those two things all game, and Creighton is squelched.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I doubt her dad is happy. Don't think he likes to lose. However I'm sure he can use this very constructively. And as always the team that plays us after our loss, look out. I feel very sorry for Creighton. (no, I really don't, let's crush them :D)
Maybe not happy but I bet he is relieved to have the streak over and done.

Reaction Score
From Rich Elliot:

That is an exceptionally compelling statistic when compared to the teams' record overall. I'd be interested in going back further - back to Diana Taurasi's graduation. Outside of the game where Maya Moore stole the ball against DePaul, were there other wins? Since Diana Taurasi, can anyone remember a UConn player drilling a last shot to win a game?

I wonder if this isn't the coaching staff's belief that since the team does it correctly (over and over) in practice, it will translate to the game? Perhaps the sheer lack of ACTUAL close games is a factor?

Either way, clearly there are those who just have difficulty functioning under end-0f-game pressure; a very common tale in sports. The last-minute performers - the Taurasi's, the Sales', the Bird's are a rare breed.

That last play - where folks were utterly confused (to put it lightly) perhaps serves as a salient example.

No matter - this will get wallpapered over as the team steamrolls to victories, perhaps all the way to another National Championship...

HGN

Reaction Score
Losses Happen....You are always disappointed when you lose.........But the biggest disappointment was seeing how the Stanford guards got in the lane so easily. I am sure Geno will "speak" to the team about that.

I really wouldn't want to be at the next practice. And I will pray for the players.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Since Ally certainly knows her Dad better than we do, I'd tend to credit her perspective. Plus, one thing I am sure of, is what D (and others) refer to in the ESPN piece broadcast the other night. Geno thinks "long-term", and looks further down the road than almost any of us - certainly further than one game, or even one season. And, I believe, he thinks on many levels, from what "the program" needs to what particular skill an individual player needs. So, he's a rare combination of a detail-oriented, long-term thinker, focusing on the smallest aspect and the horizon simultaneously.

Reaction Score
It was a disappointing game on many levels.
Stanford was able to shut down vital parts of our offense.
And when it counted, we couldn't stop them.
KS worries me for the rest of the season.
Others, who have performed before couldn't overcome Stanford.
It would have been a great game to win at the end.
Don't know where MJ was during much of the game.
UConn needed to make it unproductive for Stanford to live all over KML, and they could not.
Stanford had a great game plan and they executed.
If this keeps up, I'll have to buy a dog so I have something to kick.

I'd rather you kick the wall, or a chair - no dogs... :eek:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maybe not happy but I bet he is relieved to have the streak over and done.

I agree. Geno will be like anyone else with a perspective: he'll be deflated and disappointed after a tough, tough loss but he will also see (if he doesn't already this morning) that it will take pressure off of the team--allowing it to focus a little better--and provide a lot of motivation going forward.

This team is still the favorite, in my mind, for the NC. It's just that now we see it will take a lot more work and more coaching to get the threepeat than perhaps many had thought.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well, we have all sorts of opinions flying around. Some valid, some not even close.

In sports, some teams seem to have your number. Stanford seems to have ours. That's reality. It is what it is. Stanford had a great game plan and executed it well. K was face guarded all game and not allowed to get free. Stewie was hammered physically from the opening tap. Sinaya almost made them pay for ignoring her defensively.

Tara is a fine coach and tactician. Got to give her the props she deserves.

This is an early season loss for a team that is in transition from last year's juggernaut. Adjustments will be made, problems will be corrected. These girls don't like to lose! There is plenty of time to learn from this loss and move forward.

Reaction Score
Mine were KML, MJ and Kiah's performances as two seniors and your PG leader.

I think a lot of people expect Kiah to step in and immediately replace Stef. I just don't see it. She was a role player last season, providing good shot blocking and rebounding, but she isn't going to be the facilitator that Stef was. I think she will get better over the season, as she will be called on to provide solid minutes, but I just don't see her having the personality or drive to suddenly be the honorable mention AA people were calling her in the preseason. Her upside is huge, but looking at her past 3 years, I don't think she will ever reach it.

KML I have always thought was a bit slow, but had the IQ to make up for it. Tonight she continuously got beat off the bounce and couldn't shake her defender. She looked easy to guard (I know she isn't). Against good teams, I think face guarding her and taking away any space limits her game. She added a post up game her sophomore campaign, but this year and last, she has looked sluggish and reliant on being just a three point shooter. I think she falls in love with the 3 (10-13 last game), but against quality competition, she can't rely on scoring 30 points on set wide open shots. She didn't even look to be an option on offense. I know KML's game was due to a good defensive plan by Tara, but the plan wasn't complex or a foreign concept. I think she will figure it out. I also don't really know if KML is out of shape, or just not very quick. I tend to think the latter since her body hasn't really changed over the years.

Moriah looked lost and at times out of control. She wasn't an option on offense and wasn't looking to make an impact. Her minutes on the floor didn't really make an impression on me. She just seemed to be out on the court not impacting the game.

I think these three were viewed along with Stewie to steer the ship, and the three of them looked confused. I think this is just a young team that has been hyped up to be more than they are, especially on this board. Calling Williams a potential future AA before she played a game, saying Ekmark is better than Kelly Faris, and stating that this team is better than last year when we aren't any deeper, only younger at this point. Also saying Stokes is on the cusp of AA. These things may grow to be true, but right now, there is no evidence.

I don't think it was a good sign that three freshman failed to log minutes. It just showed that Geno didn't trust them in this game. I understand it was a close game and they are only two games into the season. These three freshman have time to grow and get better. But for them not to be considered now could be telling for future close games. At this point I would expect the ND game to only go 7 to maximum 8 deep.

We are starting a defending NPOY stewie, KML (soph AA) and Moriah (great sohp year). But Saniya was a virtual non factor in the tournament last year and Kiah was essentially a role player. Plus only bringing one freshman and a RS soph off the bench. We are inexperienced and are relying on players that have never been relied on like this before. It will take time, they will figure it out. But for right now, I think the top 5 or 6 teams in wcbb all have a chance.

This game was a serious reality check for me, and I'm assuming a lot of other posters. I expected a 20 point win. We aren't as dominant as we hoped, maybe its just not yet. But whatever we end up accomplishing this season, it will be fun to watch these players grow and get better.

What about Coach's plan for the last min/30 second of a closely contested game?(or the lack of it)--either on the defense side or the offense side. Maybe he had a plan but the players did not follow through? Uconn has not closed out a close game for YEARS! (since 2011!) So they had better have a plan/execute it in those locations.
Also, Stewie had 3-second violation twice, that could be something to work on as well if she is expected to post up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom