The Big Five Conferences are going to break away | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The Big Five Conferences are going to break away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The irony with Florida State is that they pursued the SEC for years for an invitation and were constantly turned away.

When the SEC decided to invite them, Florida State turned them away.

And now, we're back to full circle with Florida State wishing for another invitation.

Then, as now, there are two Florida States...the football guys, fans, boosters...and the President and his academic staff at the university.

The President and the academic side of FSU are very pro ACC...as the President noted back in 1991, many of the FSU staff matriculated out of ACC programs and few from the SEC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the SEC faxed over an invite to FSU earlier this year, FSU would have accepted before the ink dried.

You know that.

Reaction Score
Taking sociological and economic trends into consideration, I keep thinking the SEC's turf is in deeper than the ACC's turf.

Reaction Score
If the SEC faxed over an invite to FSU earlier this year, FSU would have accepted before the ink dried.

You know that.

I said as much. The President would not do it voluntarilry..but the boosters would force the issue.

President Barron's infamous email to boosters in 2012:

I want to assure you that any decision made about FSU athletics will be reasoned and thoughtful and based on athletics, finances and academics. Allow me to provide you with some of the issues we are facing:
In support of a move are four basic factors argued by many alumni:

1. The ACC is more basketball than it is football, and many of our alumni view us as more football oriented than the ACC
2. The ACC is too North Carolina centric and the contract advantages basketball and hence advantages the North Carolina schools
3. The Big 12 has some big football schools that match up with FSU
4. The Big 12 contract (which actually isn't signed yet) is rumored to be $2.9M more per year than the ACC contract. We need this money to be competitive.
But, in contrast:

1. The information presented about the ACC contract that initiated the blogosphere discussion was not correct. The ACC is an equal share conference and this applies to football and to basketball there is no preferential treatment of any university with the exception of 3rd tier rights for women's basketball and Olympic sports. FSU is advantaged by that aspect of the contract over the majority of other ACC schools.
2. Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M left the Big 12, at least in part because the Big 12 is not an equal share conference. Texas has considerably more resource avenues and gains a larger share (and I say this as a former dean of the University of Texas at Austin - I watched the Big 12 disintegration with interest). So, when fans realize that Texas would get more dollars than FSU, always having a competitive advantage, it would be interesting to see the fan reaction.
3. Much is being made of the extra $2.9M that the Big 12 contract (which hasn't been inked yet) gets over the ACC contract. Given that the Texas schools are expected to play each other (the Big 12 is at least as Texas centered than the ACC is North Carolina centered), the most likely scenario has FSU playing Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and West Virginia on a recurring basis and the other teams sporadically (and one more unnamed team has to join to allow the Big 12 to regain a championship game), we realize that our sports teams can no longer travel by bus to most games the estimate is that the travel by plane required by FSU to be in the Big 12 appears to exceed the $2.9M difference in the contract actually giving us fewer dollars than we have now to be competitive with the Big 12 teams, who obviously do not have to travel as far. Any renegotiated amount depends not just on FSU but the caliber of any other new team to the Big 12.
4. Few believe that the above teams will fill our stadium with fans of these teams and so our lack of sales and ticket revenue would continue.
5. We would lose the rivalry with the University of Miami that does fill our stadium
6. It will cost between $20M and $25M to leave the ACC we have no idea where that money would come from. It would have to come from the Boosters which currently are unable to support our current University athletic budget, hence the 2% cut in that budget.
7. The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker and in fact, many of them resent the fact that a 2% ($2.4M) deficit in the athletics budget receives so much attention from concerned Seminoles, but the loss of 25% of the academic budget (105M) gets none when it is the most critical concern of this University in terms of its successful future.
I present these issues to you so that you realize that this is not so simple (not to mention that negotiations aren't even taking place). One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiates their future in the media. We can't afford to have conference affiliation be governed by emotion it has to be based on a careful assessment of athletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect of conference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it must be a reasoned decision.
Eric Barron,
President

Reaction Score
" The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker and in fact, many of them resent the fact that a 2% ($2.4M) deficit in the athletics budget receives so much attention from concerned Seminoles, but the loss of 25% of the academic budget (105M) gets none when it is the most critical concern of this University in terms of its successful future."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yes, Miami still looks around and PSU may have eventually jumped to the B1G anyway or jumped with Miami. History has shown that the BE schools were unable to maintain a viable FB league.

There is a chance having PSU in the league would have been enough for Miami to stay, but the $ to move would still be there, so I think CR still happens, but the names may have been different.
Maybe not. Remember that the timing of TV contracts is what made us the lowest paid league at first. It snowballed form there. So, if we get PSU, we get a new contract and the timing changes. Maybe we survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom