The Big East needs to punish this kind of basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Big East needs to punish this kind of basketball

Reaction Score
Yeah, and it’s unwatchable. Watch the ACC or the B12 or even the Big10. All are much more enjoyable to watch. I can barely watch NEWBIE games without UConn. Ugly basketball.
It's so obvious you don't watch basketball. The ACC and Big 10 lolz.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Nova- Marquette just played an entertaining half with 83 total pts scored and 9 total fouls....

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Only significant sports game on at the time slot. Hate to be a conspiracy theorist but the refs did a great job of keeping it just close enough to keep people from shutting off the game or switching the channel…
If I wasn’t a UConn fan I would have shut it off. It was a really brutal and boring game to watch. No flow (in large part due to the reffing against both teams).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The officiating is BAD in every league and in every sport. Its handled by humans and humans react.
UConn' has never been treated well by the refs - Wes B was undercut a lot when shooting in the 60's, John Thomas was big and aggressive and fouled out of more games than he he stayed in to the final buzzer, KEA was a marked man due to his arrogance and rarely received a fair shake by refs, Kemba and Bazz were always punished on their drives but never received "and 1".
DH is his own worst enemy and until he learns how to effectively protest, the refs won't treat him differently. What is unfortunate about the issue is that the team pays for it in the end. I'd rather the refs throw DH out.
A lot of coaches complain but it's how you do it and what you say that makes a different.
Yelling out - You're a clown and the constant no ways is not going to work.
When I started coaching I was a lot like DH. One of my old coaches watched my team and after the game he said I looked and sounded like an idiot and the refs he knows well didn't appreciate it at all. He gave me some hints on what would work and how I could get my message through effectively without ruffling too many feathers. It worked for me.
Yes, HCJC was a yeller and swore but he knew what to say to the refs that sent the message but didn't stab.
I suggest DH get a mentor. He was very good the 2nd half of the 2022-2023 season - don't know why he has started this crap again.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My view on this is that the refs made it unwatchable. Big East refs continue to start every game calling nothing. So teams like Georgetown hunt fouls on offense and clutch, grab and push, especially on rebounds. You can say too many fouls called but I disagree. Call those fouls early. Cook could have had 3 fouls in the first five minutes. Call those. Force teams to play properly at the start and then you can loosen up and call less. Instead they lose control of the game and then get tighter and tighter as they try to get control back.

Refs have to be unafraid of fouling guys out in the first ten minutes of the game if that is what they deserve. We got killed on the boards because they shoved and threw our guys down. Call that instead of stupid touch fouls that don’t impact the play.
We saw this in the tournament against Gonzaga, Timmie couldn’t adjust to non favorable reffing, and I remember a lot of fans and media personalities crying about how they took the “best player in the country” out of the game.

Reaction Score
It's so obvious you don't watch basketball. The ACC and Big 10 lolz.
I dont watch a ton, but enough to see the difference in flow vs. the hack-a-thon that too many New Big East games have become.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I want to be clear that I am not bashing all Big East refs or the Big East as a whole, just Cooley. I think a lot of Big East teams play fun styles and the refs overall are fine. I do think there is a tendency of refs to not want to drive the game off a cliff when a team plays like Cooley's teams play, and I disagree with that approach. I think the refs should treat a team that is turning the game into a circus with the exact amount of respect that team deserves: none. I would have no problem with the refs calling 40+ fouls, 15 of which would be offensive, on Georgetown if they are going to play like that. Foul the whole team out. Let the Team Manager play the last 10 minutes. Hopefully Cooley would get the message that ruining the product for the whole league is not acceptable. If not, he can lose every game and watch the other team shoot 50 free throws a night until he is fired.

A crackdown on the circus would result in a few games being dumpster fires, but it would be very good for the league in the long-term.

Ironically, I don't think playing like that is particularly effective as a strategy, and it chases off recruits. I think Cooley would actually win more if his teams didn't play this way.

Reaction Score
I see the same thing as all of you. However, what bothers me the most is the inconsistent game these ref's call. TN gets mauled all game long, no calls. Diarra ate an elbow to the chops in one Georgetown penetration, no call. Karaban eats an elbow, no offensive foul called. On that same play, he has enough wits about him to block the shot, and they call him for the foul. I don't mind "old school BE basketball", but I do mind when the ref's consistently call two different types of games. All of that said, this crap went on last year too. I have to believe that our out of conference domination, in large part, had to do with the game opening up during tourney time. May the same happen again this year! And remember, our best defender isn't playing. Oh boy......this team is nasty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom