The Big East can order its tombstone | The Boneyard

The Big East can order its tombstone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The events of the new few weeks will effectively put an end to the conference.

There's some office space in Providence that will be available for rent.

Reaction Score
And, unfortuantely, all signs suggest UConn got caught flatfooted.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The events of the new few weeks will effectively put an end to the conference.

There's some office space in Providence that will be available for rent.

Fishy...any indication if UConn saw this coming and/or if UConn is in a position to land on it's feet? Or are we looking at being a member of a Conference-USA type conference now?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The most likely destination is in a coalition of the damned with whoever bobs to the surface of the Big 12 shipwreck.

If the SEC poaches Florida State, (doubtful), or if the ACC goes to 16 (doubtful), maybe that is an option (doubtful).

The seeds of destruction were sewn when the Big East failed to invite Penn State many moons again. Those seeds were watered and tended to when the conference soft-pedaled instead of going to the mat after the first raid. At some point, when you're looking at welfare states like PC and SH, the answer is to cut bait instead of inviting a few more mouths to feed. Worked for a few years, but in retrospect, the easy road then will ultimately make it harder for all involved.

Reaction Score
More recently when they wouldn't go to all sports and kept this ridiculously stupid model in place. Everyone should realize that when we play SHU, SJU, Prov or one of these other teams.

UConn sports are effectively over. With JC leaving soon I can't see maintaing elite status as a member of a 2nd tier conf. At least we got a couple NCs.

The most likely destination is in a coalition of the damned with whoever bobs to the surface of the Big 12 shipwreck.

If the SEC poaches Florida State, (doubtful), or if the ACC goes to 16 (doubtful), maybe that is an option (doubtful).

The seeds of destruction were sewn when the Big East failed to invite Penn State many moons again. Those seeds were watered and tended to when the conference soft-pedaled instead of going to the mat after the first raid. At some point, when you're looking at welfare states like PC and SH, the answer is to cut bait instead of inviting a few more mouths to feed. Worked for a few years, but in retrospect, the easy road then will ultimately make it harder for all involved.

Reaction Score
I think UConn should start calling the SEC and telling them how awesome Clemson and Florida State are in the hopes that they poach them and then the ACC might need another school or two.

Reaction Score
No chance, ACC just jacked the exit fee too. Best scenario is somehow UT goes somewhere and 16 becomes new # and ACC or B10 go after RU and UConn.

I think UConn should start calling the SEC and telling them how awesome Clemson and Florida State are in the hopes that they poach them and then the ACC might need another school or two.

GG

Reaction Score
Fishy - Would the BE FB teams and the leftover Big 12 schools start their own conference?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I am patiently waiting for the announcement from the UConn administration that all is well and we are landing in a comfy chair. What they will actually announce is that they are monitoring the ever-changing landscape of collegiate sports and will continue to work with their conference bretheren to build and sustain the BE. Basically, we're screwed.

Reaction Score
Was the 'surprize factor' Hathaway's departing -You shot????

Reaction Score
Fishy - Would the BE FB teams and the leftover Big 12 schools start their own conference?

I'd rather they join the Big12. The Big12 has a BCS autobid, and we'd be out of the BE once and for all!!!!

Reaction Score
Tough time for the new Pres and Acting AD. Maybe JH was smarter than we think??

Reaction Score
More recently when they wouldn't go to all sports and kept this ridiculously stupid model in place. Everyone should realize that when we play SHU, SJU, Prov or one of these other teams.

UConn sports are effectively over. With JC leaving soon I can't see maintaing elite status as a member of a 2nd tier conf. At least we got a couple NCs.

UConn sports are effectively over? Come on man! The news of Pitt and Cuse going to the ACC is obviously horrible news, but to just assume UConn is going to be in some 2nd tier conf. and lose their elite status in athletics is crazy. UConn just can't sit back and let everything play out anymore. Either they have to determine the Big East motives and how they plan to counter this move, or began to look for a new home. Last week there were reports of the possibility of Kansas, Kansas St. and Missouri coming to the Big East if the Big 12 collapases. Our conference would remain elite if that was the case. The other option here would be finding a new home. Big 10? Or maybe even follow Pitt and Cuse to the Acc? Who knows, but UConn has to act now!

Reaction Score
I'd rather they join the Big12. The Big12 has a BCS autobid, and we'd be out of the BE once and for all!!!!

The Big 12 is in a worse situation than the Big East right now. That conference will be gone by the time we would officially join.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We're now when it comes time to shop for a new TV deal.

Reaction Score
A guy on the Cuse board claims that he has spoken to the proverbial "people in the know" and that Uconn has a conditional offer from the ACC. No idea what that means and probably not credible anyway. But just thought I would throw it out there.

Reaction Score
A guy on the Cuse board claims that he has spoken to the proverbial "people in the know" and that Uconn has a conditional offer from the ACC. No idea what that means and probably not credible anyway. But just thought I would throw it out there.

Let's hope he's right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger