The best women’s basketball player nobody is talking about | The Boneyard

The best women’s basketball player nobody is talking about

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lamar's Chastadie Barrs is the best women’s basketball player nobody is talking about.

"Here’s a per-game average stat line to consider: 15 points, 6.9 rebounds, six assists and 5.9 steals.

With one glance at those numbers, many would quickly recognize that person to be one of the most versatile players in all of women’s college basketball. But because she doesn’t play at UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville or another one of the sport’s typical powers, she has flown under the radar on her quest to rewrite the sport’s history books.

Her name is Chastadie Barrs. She is a senior guard at Lamar University, a school in Beaumont, Texas, which competes in the Southland Conference.

She is sixth in the Southland in scoring, sixth in rebounds, first in assists and first in steals. She also leads the country in steals and is 12th in assists per-game.

Lamar is first in the Southland standings this season with a 17-4 overall record and a 10-0 undefeated mark in conference play. Barrs is a big reason why the Lady Cardinals are on track to make their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2010.

Simply put: Barrs is the best women’s college basketball player that few are talking about. But when her career is said and done, her name will be etched the record books."

Barrs’ Accomplishments
• In 2018, tied Florida A&M’s Natalie White for the NCAA single-season steals record with 191
12 steals vs. New Orleans on Jan. 9 is the most by any player in a single game this season
• Nine career triple-doubles
• Three-time Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year
• Named to the 2019 watchlist for the Nancy Lieberman Award

Note - She was NOT ranked in the top 100 of her HS class of 2015 by Hoopgurlz or Prospects Nation

[Article]

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Impressive.

There are some really good players laboring for bad teams in the Pac 12 that get no recognition at all.

Reaction Score
While she's certainly better known, Syracuse point guard Tiana Mangakahia doesn't get the press that other leading guards do despite averaging 16.8 points, 9.0 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game so far in her career......................I wonder if it's because of that unpronounceable last name of hers..................;)

Reaction Score
Kennedy Leonard of Colorado. CU was having a good season until she went down with an injury and has lost every game since. She is CU's all-time assist leader.

Reaction Score
Lamar's Chastadie Barrs is the best women’s basketball player nobody is talking about.

"Here’s a per-game average stat line to consider: 15 points, 6.9 rebounds, six assists and 5.9 steals.

With one glance at those numbers, many would quickly recognize that person to be one of the most versatile players in all of women’s college basketball. But because she doesn’t play at UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville or another one of the sport’s typical powers, she has flown under the radar on her quest to rewrite the sport’s history books.

Her name is Chastadie Barrs. She is a senior guard at Lamar University, a school in Beaumont, Texas, which competes in the Southland Conference.

She is sixth in the Southland in scoring, sixth in rebounds, first in assists and first in steals. She also leads the country in steals and is 12th in assists per-game.

View attachment 39436

Lamar is first in the Southland standings this season with a 17-4 overall record and a 10-0 undefeated mark in conference play. Barrs is a big reason why the Lady Cardinals are on track to make their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2010.

Simply put: Barrs is the best women’s college basketball player that few are talking about. But when her career is said and done, her name will be etched the record books."

Barrs’ Accomplishments
• In 2018, tied Florida A&M’s Natalie White for the NCAA single-season steals record with 191
12 steals vs. New Orleans on Jan. 9 is the most by any player in a single game this season - Wow :eek:

[Article]
Wasn't there a young lady who took the WCBB by storm from Missouri , one branch far off the beaten path that WASnt Uconn, ND, Ms St, UT, USC, Oregon, etc? Seems she was all that tall either. Yet she set records, some I think are still standing---being the Basketball guru you should know HER name.
Point is --if you are REALL outstanding, even from LAMAR (not totally unknown), you will be acknowledged.
Having said that Scoop---your choice (Ms Barr) is one that deserves your and my recognition-----THANKS.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a young lady who took the WCBB by storm from Missouri , one branch far off the beaten path that WASnt Uconn, ND, Ms St, UT, USC, Oregon, etc? Seems she was all that tall either. Yet she set records, some I think are still standing---being the Basketball guru you should know HER name.
Point is --if you are REALL outstanding, even from LAMAR (not totally unknown), you will be acknowledged.
Having said that Scoop---your choice (Ms Barr) is one that deserves your and my recognition-----THANKS.
Jackie Stiles was hardly unknown. A high school All American, she nearly came to UConn but instead chose to stay closer to home at SW Missouri State. And she didn’t toil in obscurity - Jackie won the Wade Trophy and the Broderick Cup as a collegian. Famously, she set the NCAA scoring record (at the time) and received much deserved accolades. She was no more unknown than Elena DellaDonne in college.

BTW, Jackie was diagnosed with cancer last year. I haven’t heard a recent follow up, I hope all is well with her.

Reaction Score
Another player that may deserve mention is 'Shakyla Hill' of Grambling, a poor team in one of the worst conferences, the SWAC. She recently had the second quadruple double of her career, one of the few ever in college basketball. Her averages are: 19 points per game, 8 rebounds per game, 6 assists per game, and 5 steals per game. It is difficult to know how good she is because the competition is poor.

Reaction Score
I got to watch Chastadie Barrs drop 23 on my Ags in their upset win at Reed Arena.

Lamar under coach Robin Harmony led the nation in steals for the last 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
Jackie Stiles was hardly unknown. A high school All American, she nearly came to UConn but instead chose to stay closer to home at SW Missouri State. And she didn’t toil in obscurity - Jackie won the Wade Trophy and the Broderick Cup as a collegian. Famously, she set the NCAA scoring record (at the time) and received much deserved accolades. She was no more unknown than Elena DellaDonne in college.

BTW, Jackie was diagnosed with cancer last year. I haven’t heard a recent follow up, I hope all is well with her.
I wasn't writing about Stiles ---it was another unknown, or I would have used her name.

Reaction Score

View attachment 39436

Barrs’ Accomplishments
12 steals vs. New Orleans on Jan. 9 is the most by any player in a single game this season - Wow :eek:

[Article]
State played Lamar earlier this season but it wasn't able to watch. I'll hafta look back and see what she did.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

View attachment 39436

Barrs’ Accomplishments

[Article]

Hope she gets legitimate consideration for DPOY when she breaks the all time steals record. Stats are off the charts even if competition isnt top notch.

Reaction Score
One my fave WCBB players is Chelsea Dungee. She is the only native American WCBB division 1 player (Cherokee Nation) that I know of. She plays for Arkansas and scored 41 points in a narrow loss against Auburn last Sunday. The most points scored in the SEC this season.

They would've won if the coach had not gotten a tech on a meaningless foul in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score

The same small school that produced Jackie Stiles has the #55 player in the 2020 recruiting class, Emily Ryan, a point guard. Even though she plays on a team in the smallest classification of schools, she is one of the best 2 or 3 players in the state. The irony here is that her coach is Jackie Stiles’ father, who has said that at this stage of her career she is very comparable to Jackie. It’s very rare for a high school with an enrollment of around 100 students to produce a Division 1 athlete, let alone one who held the D-1 scoring record, but to produce 2 in a 20 year span is unheard of.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One my fave WCBB players is Chelsea Dungee. She is the only native American WCBB division 1 player (Cherokee Nation) that I know of. She plays for Arkansas and scored 41 points in a narrow loss against Auburn last Sunday. The most points scored in the SEC this season.

They would've won if the coach had not gotten a tech on a meaningless foul in the 4th quarter.

She had a good game in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tourney against Washington 2 years ago. Looks like she has really thrived after transferring to Arkansas (and playing for the coach she was playing against that day).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Still listed as an assistant coach with Missouri St.

Reaction Score
I thought Chelsea Dungee was the only Native American player in Div. 1 but I forgot that Lakota Beatty was playing for Oral Roberts. I think she is a member of the Caddo tribe. I missed her game at Omaha, Ne. because of car trouble but they televised her game yesterday against North Dakota. Lakota scored 35 points (most in the Summit League this year) and was almost unstoppable. I'm looking forward to watching her play at the Summit League Conference Tournament next month.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's interesting Striper. I had no idea Dungee is Native American until you mentioned it earlier in the thread. How do you go about finding out about a player's heritage?

With a name like Lakota Beatty, I would've thought she is a member of the Lakota Sioux tribe.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I thought Chelsea Dungee was the only Native American player in Div. 1 but I forgot that Lakota Beatty was playing for Oral Roberts. I think she is a member of the Caddo tribe. I missed her game at Omaha, Ne. because of car trouble but they televised her game yesterday against North Dakota. Lakota scored 35 points (most in the Summit League this year) and was almost unstoppable. I'm looking forward to watching her play at the Summit League Conference Tournament next month.
I think you may be missing a few. In perusing the site Basketball – NDNSPORTS, I'm seeing these names as well:
  • Summer Hemphill of Buffalo (Seneca Nation)
  • Analyss Benally of San Jose State (Navajo Nation)
  • Lauren Billie of UT Arlington (Creek/Seminole)
  • Terae Briggs of Nevada (Crow Tribe)
This is probably not an exhaustive list; these are just the names I found mentioned on the site.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I think you may be missing a few. In perusing the site Basketball – NDNSPORTS, I'm seeing these names as well:
  • Summer Hemphill of Buffalo (Seneca Nation)
  • Analyss Benally of San Jose State (Navajo Nation)
  • Lauren Billie of UT Arlington (Creek/Seminole)
  • Terae Briggs of Nevada (Crow Tribe)
This is probably not an exhaustive list; these are just the names I found mentioned on the site.

The Choctaw Central girls here in Mississippi have had a strong program for many years...

636248506732140009-03.11.Choctaw.Cent.Amanda.Elzy.001.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Choctaw Central girls here in Mississippi have had a strong program for many years...

View attachment 39773
That's cool. I know from having lived in Arizona that the Navajo Nation schools (Monument Valley, Window Rock) also have very proud traditions in girls' HS basketball.

I was responding to the comment about Native Americans playing in D-I, however.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
That's cool. I know from having lived in Arizona that the Navajo Nation schools (Monument Valley, Window Rock) also have very proud traditions in girls' HS basketball.

Oh I know, just thought I'd drop that tidbit since y'all were talking Native Americans and basketball.

Reaction Score

I went to that ASU vs. Baylor game at Window Rock this year. Amazing - 5000 Native Americans turned out. Also amazing was that their high school gym could hold 5000. Window Rock is not exactly a 'metro' area. And it was a lot nicer than some college gyms I've been to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom