The best WCBB Players in History for Each Uniform Number. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The best WCBB Players in History for Each Uniform Number.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holdsclaw led the Lady Vols to 3 consecutive NCAA championships during her freshman, sophomore, and junior seasons. Name another player who did that besides Stewie. No guarantee Paige does that.

Reaction Score
This article indicates best players in Women's College Basketball History. Yet they reference their WNBA accomplishments in several of the commentaries. Is it their College performance or their overall body of work? I am assuming College performance, in which case: EDD should be the greatest #10, not Weatherspoon. I also think a strong argument can be made that Stiles was a greater College player than Bird. Vandersloot and Rizzotti a tossup at #21 Also a tossup is the #24 group of three. Holdsclaw and Maya Moore is the toughest call of all. Two of the greatest college players of all time.

Reaction Score
This article indicates best players in Women's College Basketball History. Yet they reference their WNBA accomplishments in several of the commentaries. Is it their College performance or their overall body of work? I am assuming College performance, in which case: EDD should be the greatest #10, not Weatherspoon. I also think a strong argument can be made that Stiles was a greater College player than Bird. Vandersloot and Rizzotti a tossup at #21 Also a tossup is the #24 group of three.
National Championships appears to be the "tie breaker" in the ESPN article. Yes, teams win NC.
Holdsclaw (3) was listed over Maya (2).
Bird (2) was listed over Stiles (0).
Rizzotti (1) was listed over Vandersloot (0).
Witherspoon (1) was listed over EDD (0).
ESPN article includes the following :
"Weatherspoon had 958 assists and 411 steals -- both program records -- in guiding Louisiana Tech to two Final Fours, winning the 1988 NCAA title and Wade Trophy."

Reaction Score
You realize this was a "feature editorial" type article right? The purpose is to generate readership and debate. I think it succeeded pretty well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dumbest. Article. Ever.

Best players for each number they wore? Good grief, what is next? "Best players by hair length", "Best players by sock color they prefer"... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I find these articles so stupid. They are never going to adequately represent UConn and TN because they have to include other schools for click bait... we are still in a participation trophy world.

Reaction Score
Bird (2) was listed over Stiles (0).
Bird was not the best player on either of her NC teams. Those teams were loaded, Stiles on the other hand led a team of nobody's to the final four.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bird was not the best player on either of her NC teams. Those teams were loaded, Stiles on the other hand led a team of nobody's to the final four.
Interesting as Bird was the best player in college basketball as a senior according to Wade, Honda and Naismith. And the best PG according to Lieberman for the third straight year.

Reaction Score
Witherspoon (1) was listed over EDD (0).
Witherspoon averaged 8 points and 7 assists per game for her career. EDD average 26 points, 2 assists and 9 rebounds per game. Witherspoon was a great player, but not in the same class as EDD.

Reaction Score
National Championships appears to be the "tie breaker" in the ESPN article. Yes, teams win NC.
The article was 'best players'. Playing on the best team does not make you the best player. I think players should at least be the best on their team in a year they won the Championship. Witherspoon can at least say that, Rizzotti was not the best player on 1995 Uconn team.

Reaction Score
Interesting as Bird was the best player in college basketball as a senior according to Wade, Honda and Naismith. And the best PG according to Lieberman for the third straight year.
Bird was the best point guard, no doubt. While she may have been the best player, her Senior team was loaded with future NBA stars, including sophomore Taurasi, who scored as many points and had 5 assists/game vs Bird's 6. Swin Cash also had a strong year, Asjha Jones too. Bird was a media darling, which doesn't hurt who wins the awards. If I recall correctly, Uconn did not have a competitive game that year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom