The best players in UConn’s history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The best players in UConn’s history

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is 1 of only 2 players to make first-team AP All-American 4 times. The other was Courtney Paris.

Maya is the only player to finish in the top 2 in AP POY voting 4 times. She was 2nd, 1st, 2nd, and 1st. She was edged out by Candace Parker and Tina Charles—a couple of outstanding players—in her freshman and junior years.

I believe that Maya still holds the NCAA record for 149 double-digit scoring games. She played in all 154 games, and her team was 150-4.

Reaction Score
Maya is 1 of only 2 players to make first-team AP All-American 4 times. The other was Courtney Paris.

Maya is the only player to finish in the top 2 in AP POY voting 4 times. She was 2nd, 1st, 2nd, and 1st. She was edged out by Candace Parker and Tina Charles—a couple of outstanding players—in her freshman and junior years.

I believe that Maya still holds the NCAA record for 149 double-digit scoring games. She played in all 154 games, and her team was 150-4.

So you're saying that she was good...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your 800 points is for 1 year or 4 years? Please explain this. Your zero titles includes 2021 NO title game and 2022 Paige was in injured. So how can Paige win a title game in those 2 years?
Ummm, there was a title game in 2021, The Kid's FR year. No NC. In 2022, she was coming back from injury, no NC. 2023, out injured the whole year, no NC.

BUT, part of being "Great" is being available to play. She's still got a couple years to win a couple NC's. We'll see if she can pull it off.

Reaction Score
No, Maya, Sue, Tina. Lots to choose from. I will agree, Maya would be the leading candidate for #4, assuming Paige can secure a place on the mount. If not then definitely Maya at #3.
I don't understand how Paige can be considered for your Mt. Rushmore when she's yet to win a championship. I would think that would be a standard requirement for this list....

Reaction Score
I don't understand how Paige can be considered for your Mt. Rushmore when she's yet to win a championship. I would think that would be a standard requirement for this list....
Can you show me where it says "win a championship would be a standard requirement for this list" ?

Bascom and Dangerfield do not win NC games but are in the list.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, the CV of the Fabulous Maya Moore

50BB67BE-5C32-40A7-BD95-8B3E3D4022A1.jpeg

Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, the CV of the Fabulous Maya Moore

View attachment 88267

Sue Bird has the most outstanding FIBA resume of anyone. Maya was on track to match or surpass it. (Stewie may be on track to do the same.) Maya never went 2 consecutive seasons without winning a major championship. NCAA, WNBA, Spanish League, Euroleague, Chinese League, FIBA World Championship, and Olympics. Maya won all of those, generally multiple times.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would drop Dangerfield and add Gabby

I love Crystal, but I agree. Gabby may have been the best overall player between Stewie and Paige, at least on a par with Lou and Phee.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can you show me where it says "win a championship would be a standard requirement for this list" ?
It's basic common sense. Like being AA and winning a NPOY.

We're talking about different lists here. For this list (the one in the OP link) the standard should have been AA. Hence why people are posting about switching some players out for others who were AA's.

Reaction Score
It's basic common sense. Like being AA and winning a NPOY.

We're talking about different lists here. For this list (the one in the OP link) the standard should have been AA. Hence why people are posting about switching some players out for others who were AA's.
-There are no common senses. When people cannot answer the question, always say "oh that common sense". It should be white or black in writing. You will fail your high school exam if you answer the question with "it is common sense"

-We are talking the same list, Nan's OP link list. Don't confuse people, this is the only one list. Again show me in black and white where the list said "the standard should have been AA".

No more common sense please. Use scientific data to support your post.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
-There are no common senses. When people cannot answer the question, always say "oh that common sense". It should be white or black in writing. You will fail your high school exam if you answer the question with "it is common sense"

-We are talking the same list, Nan's OP link list. Don't confuse people, this is the only one list. Again show me in black and white where the list said "the standard should have been AA".

No more common sense please. Use scientific data to support your post.
Well tchalla1 was talking about Mt Rushmore. You answered that. Then you added in info (Dangerfield and Bascom) about the OP list. These are 2 different lists.

Well sorry. There is nothing in writing, anywhere for Mt Rushmore list. Just for your information there isn't actually a Mt Rushmore (or Mt Storrs) for UCONN players. It's just a made up idea. The criteria for such is also made up.

However, common sense dictates what the criteria should be.

But, if you want something written down....here it is.

To be in consideration for the Mt Rushmore of UCONN a player must have
1) Multiple AA's
2) Multiple NPOY's
3) Multiple NC's
4) Top 10 in multiple UCONN career categories

There you go.

images

As for the OP list. No there is nothing written for that either. But again Common Sense dictates AA should have been a criteria for it. And obviously it wasn't. Hence, why so many people on here think the OP list is a piece of crap. Or at least with a little effort and thought, could have been better.

For some programs, it wouldn't really matter. But for a program like UCONN with 24 AA's, 16 multiple AA's, 9 NPOY's, the criteria is gonna be a lot higher. If you're doing a Top 20 list, common sense says you start with the 24 AA's and whittle down from there.

Sorry you're not a fan of common sense. It can make things much easier.

Reaction Score
Well tchalla1 was talking about Mt Rushmore. You answered that. Then you added in info (Dangerfield and Bascom) about the OP list. These are 2 different lists.

Well sorry. There is nothing in writing, anywhere for Mt Rushmore list. Just for your information there isn't actually a Mt Rushmore (or Mt Storrs) for UCONN players. It's just a made up idea. The criteria for such is also made up.

However, common sense dictates what the criteria should be.

But, if you want something written down....here it is.

To be in consideration for the Mt Rushmore of UCONN a player must have
1) Multiple AA's
2) Multiple NPOY's
3) Multiple NC's
4) Top 10 in multiple UCONN career categories

There you go.

images

As for the OP list. No there is nothing written for that either. But again Common Sense dictates AA should have been a criteria for it. And obviously it wasn't. Hence, why so many people on here think the OP list is a piece of crap. Or at least with a little effort and thought, could have been better.

For some programs, it wouldn't really matter. But for a program like UCONN with 24 AA's, 16 multiple AA's, 9 NPOY's, the criteria is gonna be a lot higher. If you're doing a Top 20 list, common sense says you start with the 24 AA's and whittle down from there.

Sorry you're not a fan of common sense. It can make things much easier.

Question. How many UConn players won multiple NPOYs and multiple NCs? Three? Seems like our Mt. Rushmore is a little short.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Question. How many UConn players won multiple NPOYs and multiple NCs? Three? Seems like our Mt. Rushmore is a little short.
Well yes. We have 3 on UCONN's Mt Rushmore. We've been looking for another for awhile. Can't just put anyone there to make 4 though. They have to earn it.

Reaction Score

Well, it's quite simple--when all the other great players have achieved something, then it probably is a standard, especially when you talking about the "Mount Rushmore". In a team sport, one of the critical measurements of achievement is winning a championship.., Is there any all-time performer in any sport who did not win a championship?

Reaction Score
Well, it's quite simple--when all the other great players have achieved something, then it probably is a standard, especially when you talking about the "Mount Rushmore". In a team sport, one of the critical measurements of achievement is winning a championship.., Is there any all-time performer in any sport who did not win a championship?

Ernie Banks, for one

Reaction Score
Ernie Banks, for one
But remember, the context was Mount Rushmore--the four best ever--while Banks was a truly great player, do you consider him on the Mount Rushmore of baseball? I don't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom