The Bench looks promising | The Boneyard

The Bench looks promising

Reaction Score
The only position I was worried about before the season started was the 5, but the early play from Johnson has dispelled my concerns. Though both Johnson and Clingan need to stay healthy.

The less experienced players seem to be coming along and developing quickly with most of the season ahead of them to improve. We knew we'd have an excellent starting 5+, but the bench looks to be coming along where the drop off at both ends of the floor should be minimal most games. At any point in the game, we should have multiple scorers and capable defenders on the floor, which we witnessed during the NC run with last season's team. The bench (Clingan, Joey Cal, Alleyne & Diarra) stepped up and prevented teams from making runs at us. I'm hopeful that we will see similar results with this team, though this year's bench has less experience than last seaon's. You never know how young players respond to adversity when it's win or go home.

We'll learn a lot about this team as they face some big time tests starting next month at KU, UNC in NYC and the Zags in Spokane. Hopefully, Castle should be back by then. Hopefully he'll pick up where he left off, dusting off the rust quickly.

What a fun season so far!

Reaction Score
What Samson did at The Garden changed the team‘s whole outlook this year. We have a 2 headed monster at the 5 and it’s such a big deal because foul trouble will always be a factor. Diarra was such a spark too. Clingan was sick so we will see a different player eventually but it’s good to be a Husky fan isn’t it?

Reaction Score
What Samson did at The Garden changed the team‘s whole outlook this year. We have a 2 headed monster at the 5 and it’s such a big deal because foul trouble will always be a factor. Diarra was such a spark too. Clingan was sick so we will see a different player eventually but it’s good to be a Husky fan isn’t it?
The really good thing is also DC and SJ are two completely different styles of play. DC although he can run the floor is a guy that can dominate in the halfcourt and just wear out and foul your guys out while SJ will get out and run all day also tiring out opposing bigs. I hope both of those guys stay healthy because similar to last season teams arent going to have an answer on nights both guys are on.

Reaction Score
Health is the key to everything but I know that Hurley and the entire team has the attitude next man up should someone go down.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Solo, Johnson and Diarra and going to be a solid bench core. Now we need Stewart or Ross to put on their big boy pants and be a player.

Agreed. As of now(!), our bench isn’t as deep or as talented as last year, but the potential is there

Reaction Score
There's more talent on this year's bench than last year's bench, IMO.
Probably close, especially if Diarra can show some consistency on the offensive end. The piece we’re missing is the Joey C-like deep threat, but hopefully someone can step up and at least be a 35-ish percent 3 point shooter.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How do you figure that given two of this years bench players, Diarra and Samson, were on last years team. Plus Alleyne, Joey California, and DC are arguably better than Ball, Jayden and Jaylen both with experience as well as factoring in DC was the best bench player in the country.

Reaction Score
How do you figure that given two of this years bench players, Diarra and Samson, were on last years team. Plus Alleyne, Joey California, and DC are arguably better than Ball, Jayden and Jaylen both with experience as well as factoring in DC was the best bench player in the country.
Last years bench was older and more developed. I think looking back on it a decade from now it’ll be no question that this years bench was more talented. Doesn’t mean they’ll be better. The good thing is we don’t need them to be..

Reaction Score
Samson wasn't in the bench rotation last season. Diarra is a year older and better than he was last season.

Solo, Samson, Stewart, and Ross will all have a chance of playing in the NBA. I'm not saying they'll all make it but they'll all have a chance. Three of those guys will be in the rotation and possibly all 4 during the season. Clingan is the only guy who was in the bench rotation last season who will play in the NBA, none of the other guys have a chance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Talent as in eventual, potential upside, ok. But guys ready to contribute in a game setting? Nah, it's well behind right now. I agree with @husky429 we need one of Ross/Stewart/Roumoglou to become a game-ready player.

Maybe by March it looks different, but Joey C and Alleyne both > Ball in game ready ability. Right now we have one guy behind both the 2 and 3 and it's Ball. That's a concern. I do not want to see Spencer, Diarra and Ball on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
Over the next two games I’d really like to see:
-Diarra continue to make the right, winning plays. When he is composed vs erratic he is a hell of a bench guy.
-Solo Ball slow it down/play within himself. I hope that first half vs Texas can lead to two effective and efficient games vs lesser competition. Smart plays, rhythm shots, and good defense.
-Johnson: keep dunking the ball. Nothing better than a center that treats rims with violence.

For Stewart and Ross, they really haven’t shown much. I’d like to see anything that suggest they are ready to play at a BE level this year - but it’s ok if they aren’t.

Reaction Score
I think there's a bit of revionist history with Alleyne and Calcaterra here. Calcaterra was great at the end of the season but for most of the season the board was down on him and he barely played in January and February. Alleyne shot 31% in conference play. Ball, Stewart, Ross are all really talented players, they'll adjust to the college game and be contributors (in Ball's case he already is)

Reaction Score
Talent as in eventual, potential upside, ok. But guys ready to contribute in a game setting? Nah, it's well behind right now. I agree with @husky429 we need one of Ross/Stewart/Roumoglou to become a game-ready player.

Maybe by March it looks different, but Joey C and Alleyne both > Ball in game ready ability. Right now we have one guy behind both the 2 and 3 and it's Ball. That's a concern. I do not want to see Spencer, Diarra and Ball on the floor at the same time.
That's why I was disputing last year having more bench talent and not disputing the experience claim.

I strongly disagree with you on Alleyne>Solo ready in game ability. Solo is already a better in game player than Alleyne and a way more talented player. Alleyne completely disappeared after our cupcake schedule last season and never reappeared until the tournament.

Reaction Score
So last year our second unit not only kept up but they pushed leads. Not sure if we will have that happen, time will tell but what Samson did gives hope.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Samson wasn't in the bench rotation last season. Diarra is a year older and better than he was last season.

Solo, Samson, Stewart, and Ross will all have a chance of playing in the NBA. I'm not saying they'll all make it but they'll all have a chance. Three of those guys will be in the rotation and possibly all 4 during the season. Clingan is the only guy who was in the bench rotation last season who will play in the NBA, none of the other guys have a chance.
Contribution versus future potential. Got it. Just wasn’t sure which way you were leaning.

Reaction Score
I agree. If we can get someone to step up as a backup wing (Stew/Ross) for 10 min/game, it will be about as complete a bench as we could have.

Last year the bench was basically Joey, Alleyne, Diarra, DC
This year it's Solo, Diarra, and Samson, with one of Stew/Ross stepping in when ready.

Reaction Score
Probably close, especially if Diarra can show some consistency on the offensive end. The piece we’re missing is the Joey C-like deep threat, but hopefully someone can step up and at least be a 35-ish percent 3 point shooter.
Exactly — if Samson plays like he did in NY and Diarra’s an asset, then we really just need one more player that can heat up from outside. Those second unit 3s are such a dagger.

Who would that be though? None of the bench guys seem to really stroke it at this point

Reaction Score
I think there's a bit of revionist history with Alleyne and Calcaterra here. Calcaterra was great at the end of the season but for most of the season the board was down on him and he barely played in January and February. Alleyne shot 31% in conference play. Ball, Stewart, Ross are all really talented players, they'll adjust to the college game and be contributors (in Ball's case he already is)
That’s probably true, but when they came into their own, that completed the puzzle. The team became unstoppable with their contributions. Two hits of instant offense.

Reaction Score
Exactly — if Samson plays like he did in NY and Diarra’s an asset, then we really just need one more player that can heat up from outside. Those second unit 3s are such a dagger.

Who would that be though? None of the bench guys seem to really stroke it at this point
Ross, he's a good three point shooter. Coming in Stewart is better all around offensively but Ross is more of a consistent spot up three point threat.

Reaction Score
Dont forget, there were large chunks of last season where both Joey and Alleyne gave us absolutely nothing, and last years version of Diarra was a huge negative at points, and was out of the rotation during big games. It definitely wasn't smooth sailing with last years bench. It worked in the end, but i expect that this season as well, but with more potential upside by mid season.

Reaction Score
I think there's a bit of revionist history with Alleyne and Calcaterra here. Calcaterra was great at the end of the season but for most of the season the board was down on him and he barely played in January and February. Alleyne shot 31% in conference play. Ball, Stewart, Ross are all really talented players, they'll adjust to the college game and be contributors (in Ball's case he already is.
Alleyne I’ll give you. He had some good games but was largely replaceable. Joey C had a really rough stretch in the middle of the season (on both sides of the ball), but was a big piece of the post season run and was a very effective floor stretcher. He shot 45% from deep in the regular season and tournament. We don’t have that sharp shooter off the bench yet and likely won’t to that level.

Reaction Score
Alleyne I’ll give you. He had some good games but was largely replaceable. Joey C had a really rough stretch in the middle of the season (on both sides of the ball), but was a big piece of the post season run and was a very effective floor stretcher. He shot 45% from deep in the regular season and tournament. We don’t have that sharp shooter off the bench yet and likely won’t to that level.
Definitely both big pieces and we don't win the championship without either one of them. I just don't think it's really fair to compare March versions of a 5th year Calcaterra and 4th year Alleyne to freshmen 5 games into their careers. There's going to be a big difference between what they are now and after the adjustment to college basketball

Reaction Score
I just don't think it's really fair to compare March versions of a 5th year Calcaterra and 4th year Alleyne to freshmen 5 games into their careers. There's going to be a big difference between what they are now and after the adjustment to college basketball
This.
In February, this will be a conversation worth having with comparable data points to use.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom