The Bench looks promising | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Bench looks promising

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think there's a bit of revionist history with Alleyne and Calcaterra here. Calcaterra was great at the end of the season but for most of the season the board was down on him and he barely played in January and February. Alleyne shot 31% in conference play. Ball, Stewart, Ross are all really talented players, they'll adjust to the college game and be contributors (in Ball's case he already is)
Early last season we all talked about the bench coming in with little drop off in play contributing to the fatigue of opposing teams that lacked our depth.

The comparison should be made between early last season and early this season. Let’s see what happens the remainder of this season before we coronate this years bench over last season.

I’ll confine my statement that this years bench has pleasantly surprised me up to this point.

Reaction Score
Early last season we all talked about the bench coming in with little drop off in play contributing to the fatigue of opposing teams that lacked our depth.

The comparison should be made between early last season and early this season. Let’s see what happens the remainder of this season before we coronate this years bench over last season.

I’ll confine my statement that this years bench has pleasantly surprised me up to this point.
But I think that's the point. At this time last year that was not the consensus feeling. There was positivity about the bench, but there was not about Alleyne and to a lesser extent Calcaterra. These are all comments from after the MTE games last year (so post MTE like we are right now). Not going to include posters because it's not meant to be a shame fest

They exposed Joey C on defense more than he has even the last couple games. He really needs a rim protector behind him. Still an incredibly impressive offensive player.

Alleyne… not good today. He’s totally out of sorts right now. Gotta imagine he figures it out but I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Alleyne-, I mean, he doesn’t offer much besides some good defense from time to time. Hoping he starts hitting shots, but he’s careless with the ball and not much of a creator.

Yeah Alleyne just looks a step slow in everything he does. Really disappointed in him. Good thing Joey California is better than we thought.

What’s weird is that he just looks so clumsy. Can’t catch the ball or dribble or stay on balance. His turnovers were like scared freshman turnovers from someone not used to the speed of the game. I think Newton actually got two turnovers that should have been Alleyne’s - hit him in the hands. At least one near the mid court stripe - not sure if he threw the entry to him.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But I think that's the point. At this time last year that was not the consensus feeling. There was positivity about the bench, but there was not about Alleyne and to a lesser extent Calcaterra. These are all comments from after the MTE games last year (so post MTE like we are right now). Not going to include posters because it's not meant to be a shame fest

They exposed Joey C on defense more than he has even the last couple games. He really needs a rim protector behind him. Still an incredibly impressive offensive player.

Alleyne… not good today. He’s totally out of sorts right now. Gotta imagine he figures it out but I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Alleyne-, I mean, he doesn’t offer much besides some good defense from time to time. Hoping he starts hitting shots, but he’s careless with the ball and not much of a creator.

Yeah Alleyne just looks a step slow in everything he does. Really disappointed in him. Good thing Joey California is better than we thought.

What’s weird is that he just looks so clumsy. Can’t catch the ball or dribble or stay on balance. His turnovers were like scared freshman turnovers from someone not used to the speed of the game. I think Newton actually got two turnovers that should have been Alleyne’s - hit him in the hands. At least one near the mid court stripe - not sure if he threw the entry to him.
The hot takes in this forum are pure gold. Beginning last season people wanted to completely eliminate Joey from playing and were pumping Diarra. Then Joey has a great game, Diarra struggles and the overwhelming reaction in this forum switches to Joey getting more time and Diarra shouldn’t play.

Nothing changes. After the Indiana game Samson is a question mark. After the Texas game he should be starting and Clingan should get a reduction in playing time.

We are both arguing the same point. I misunderstood your intent. I thought it was to underplay the contributions of Joey and Alleyne to argue in favor of this years bench over last years bench at this stage of the season.

Reaction Score
Probably close, especially if Diarra can show some consistency on the offensive end. The piece we’re missing is the Joey C-like deep threat, but hopefully someone can step up and at least be a 35-ish percent 3 point shooter.
I feel Roumoglou can be Joey C lite.

Reaction Score
Probably close, especially if Diarra can show some consistency on the offensive end. The piece we’re missing is the Joey C-like deep threat, but hopefully someone can step up and at least be a 35-ish percent 3 point shooter.
I think we got our Joey C replacement in Cam Spencer. But Spencer is so good that he's starting. He and Karaban might be the best long range duo in the NCAA.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
When I see Danny Hurley on the floor, I like our chances.

Reaction Score
I think the title of the post says it all. Is this bench, currently as good as last year. The answer is 'No'. But Ball will be rejoining the bench soon when Castle returns and there are 2 other freshman with a lot of potential to contribute down the line this year. If Diarra continues to play under control on the offensive end, that helps greatly.
I'm also anxious to see if Johnson gets the greenlight to put up a 3 here and there. It was part of his game in high school. Just need to keep him and DC healthy.
A big plus would be buying Karaban some minutes at the 4. I think that is part of the reason why we may see more of the Clingan/Johnson duo on the floor at the same time if foul trouble doesn't limit it.

Reaction Score
we've already got an 8 man rotation with diarra, ball, and samson off the bench. that's all we need come march. ross and stew are gravy.

Reaction Score
We knew that Newton and Karaban would be getting a ton of minutes this year based on last season, and it seems like Spencer is probably a 30+ mpg guy as well. We have so many guys who are reliable that depth isn't quite as important as last year.

That being said, with Castle out, our bench got a lot worse, but I think we'll be fine. We essentially only played 7 guys vs Texas (Jaylin Stewart got 3 minutes), and Clingan was limited to less than 1/2 of his normal minutes, but it didn't seem like we ran out of steam at all. Ball and Diarra should be able to handle splitting minutes at that 2nd guard spot, especially if Castle is truly back by early December. The next 2 games will be a great opportunity for Ball to get more comfortable, which could be huge by conference play.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We knew that Newton and Karaban would be getting a ton of minutes this year based on last season, and it seems like Spencer is probably a 30+ mpg guy as well. We have so many guys who are reliable that depth isn't quite as important as last year.

That being said, with Castle out, our bench got a lot worse, but I think we'll be fine. We essentially only played 7 guys vs Texas (Jaylin Stewart got 3 minutes), and Clingan was limited to less than 1/2 of his normal minutes, but it didn't seem like we ran out of steam at all. Ball and Diarra should be able to handle splitting minutes at that 2nd guard spot, especially if Castle is truly back by early December. The next 2 games will be a great opportunity for Ball to get more comfortable, which could be huge by conference play.
I felt Castle’s absence impacted the play of Tristen and Cam the second half of the Texas game. They had to be tired playing the minutes they played two days in a row. Would partially account for their poor shooting.

Reaction Score
I think we got our Joey C replacement in Cam Spencer. But Spencer is so good that he's starting. He and Karaban might be the best long range duo in the NCAA.
Spencer was pretty well locked into a starting role when he committed here, so more Hawkins replacement than Joey C replacement (not that he’s as good as Hawkins).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom