The Battle Monday Nite | The Boneyard

The Battle Monday Nite

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well here we go. I expect this to be one of the most watched games this season. A couple of things . I expect SC to pay alot of attention to Paige. Paige can wear you down, can SC defense wear Paige down? We will see. Paige is poised and patient and knows how to get her teammates involved. Paige makes plays and makes things happen. How will they defend her? I expect a lot of different players and alot of difference defenses. SC's focus is to slow down Paige and wear her out. UConn will counter that by running plays to get her open. This is gonna be a tough battle for both teams. UConn is coming into this game without any fear and they are coming in hungry. UConn has grown alot from the Ark and Tenn games. This group has the "I want to" and theyre ready for this battle. They are young and looking forward to the challenge. The Tenn and Ark games both on the road were great experiences and will help them alot in this game.

I expect UConn to attack the basket alot. We must play to our strengths which means taking high percentage shots that we know we can make not taking shots we dont make and praying they go it. Liv needs to stay close to the basket and Christyn needs to dribble drive. BTW I expect all our guards to dribble drive especially with so much attention being paid to Paige. UConns offense because of Paige and Evina will open things up in the middle. SC doesnt have that this season, their 3 pt shooting is not what it was and their ball handling is not what is was last season. Paige Evina and Nika are great point guards who exemplify leadership. the guards will win this game for their team. UConn as a team is better then last season. I expect both teams to pressure the ball. UConns ball handlers should be able to handle it. SC may not handle it was well. SC will try and rebound and run and apply pressure on the ball while still trying to maintain Paige. UConn will counter by running their motion offense and defensively trying to keep the SC guards from handling the ball by packing it in and forcing SC to shoot treys. UConn needs to maintain their Poise and Patience while executing their offense.

Win or loose this is gonna go a long way for our young freshman. I know they will battle and fight and not give up because they've proved that already. This freshman class has guts, they are tuff and determined and are relentless on defense. If UConn is hitting their shots like they have I dont think SC can put up as many points as UConn. With that said I expect a game in the low 70's / 60's.

Although both teams are young SC has experience and UConn has alot of freshman who are gaining experience. If UConn plays their game I dont think they can loose. There are gonna be alot of battles between these two teams over the next few years. We're both young with great rosters and great recruiting classes coming in next season. UConn 69 SC 60.

Reaction Score
Since this game will be on FS1, interesting ESPN2 is putting the #9 Arizona vs #12 Oregon game on also at 7pm. For those that always wanted to watch the PAC-12 but couldn't stay up late, here's your chance. :rolleyes:

1612707989085.png

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts, Tony. If they are going to try to limit Paige, I hope that they make a lot of fouls in trying to stop her and I hope that we make all of those foul shots. If they try to put two on her to stop her 3 ball, this may very well leave one of ours open to score. Then again, having them try to stop Paige may open up with a combo of Liv and Edwards from to key to basket. Nika could also be a force in this game with steals, disruption, scoring and taking fouls. Again making foul shots is going to be valuable. Evina, Chrystin, Nika, and, of course, Paige will help if they can drop the 3 ball. Disrupt, confuse, and attack will be the key to victory.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Already clock watching.. maybe I can find a football game or something to watch today.
  • Understand people downplaying a regular season ooc game but if it feels like a big game to the fans, imagine the players are feeling it even more.
  • Hope the refs keep their whistles in their pockets and Liv and AE don't get sucked into bad fouls.
  • Interested to see how many minutes Aubrey gets (assuming she's 100%) - is she time-sharing with both CW and AE? Feels like Geno's gonna have to decide in spots if he needs offense or defense and glass.
  • I feel like the Huskies have turned a corner since Arkansas, I guess we'll see. Hoping everybody's healthy enough to play good minutes.
  • I know Geno normally saves the zone for games when the zebras are giving us trouble but SC seems tailor made for a heavy dose of packed in zone.
  • Should be an interesting chess match between Geno and Dawn. Dawn's presser yesterday was pretty cool... said you can't spend too much energy defending Paige because you'll get hurt elsewhere... I agree with the post from yesterday about someone else needing to step up as a shooter, I guess that's EW or CW. If I'm Dawn, I try to make them prove it. If Liv's playing a high-post, could be some opportunity for Christyn getting to the rim.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
No matter what Dawn says, I think SC will try to turn Paige into a passer, one way or the other. They will be running a second or even third player at her all night. As a result, Paige will be finding teammates open, and SC will be challenging the other UConn players to make open shots.

SC will also lay off Liv and Aubrey and dare them to make the 15-17 footer at the elbow. Liv can make that shot and I hope she takes them with confidence. Boston will give her that, at least until she makes a couple.

CW will have open threes, she should mix it up and (more often) take it hard to the hoop as she has been doing recently. Evina and Nika will need to make some threes early - if I am right, Paige will be finding them open.

UConn is developing an excellent pick and roll game. On the one hand, I can see two SC players going with Paige off the pick. The post has to then roll hard to the basket, it should be there. It has been in recent games. What I don`t know, haven`t seen them enough, is how Boston plays the pick and roll. If she doesn`t jump out, Paige should take the midrange jumper all night. But again, I think that SC will try to negate her at all costs.

On defense, we need to avoid fouls. Boston will get the ball inside in position to score and we will at times have to concede the two points. Henderson is a one person fastbreak, like Gus Williams of the old Seattle Supersonics. She will get some run out hoops. Don`t pick up needless fouls.

Geno has been going with a four guard lineup to start and it has been very effective.The problem will be trying to keep Boston, Saxton and Beal off the boards with that lineup, big size disadvantage. He has Aaliyah and Aubrey to turn to, and they should get significant minutes, but hopefully the starters can hold their own on the boards enough to allow them to stay on the floor together. That will not be easy. Aaliyah will need to make an impact when she is out there. I think she will.

This is going to be a very close game. Paige will be the difference with a clutch play or two at the end.

It is great they get to play, but sad that Gampel won`t be filled to the rafters. (Oh right, Gampel doesn`t have rafters.) I can only imagine how loud and joyful it will be when we finally get to see this group in person.

Reaction Score
Already clock watching.. maybe I can find a football game or something to watch today.
  • Understand people downplaying a regular season ooc game but if it feels like a big game to the fans, imagine the players are feeling it even more.
  • Should be an interesting chess match between Geno and Dawn. Dawn's presser yesterday was pretty cool... said you can't spend too much energy defending Paige because you'll get hurt elsewhere... I agree with the post from yesterday about someone else needing to step up as a shooter, I guess that's EW or CW. If I'm Dawn, I try to make them prove it. If Liv's playing a high-post, could be some opportunity for Christyn getting to the rim.

It's a big game.

The other "shooter" that must be defended is Nika. In last 5 games she shot 10-23 - 43.5%. If you leave them too open for too long it is highly possible that at least one out of 3 get hot.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's a big game.

The other "shooter" that must be defended is Nika. In last 5 games she shot 10-23 - 43.5%. If you leave them too open for too long it is highly possible that at least one out of 3 get hot.
You just hope they don't take all night to find the hot option...

Reaction Score
You just hope they don't take all night to find the hot option...

If they are open from the get-go because the opposing team is so focused on Paige then it shouldn't take long to find the hot hand. Because the defense is leaving others open to stop Paige and all 3 have shown they are fine taking open shots. :)

With that said, even if open - it could take a long time for someone other than Paige to get hot. Some nights you just miss.:)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
How about South Carolina....or SomebodyElse U down the road...throwing
a box and one occasionally to try and confuse the good guys?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
On FS1...really?

I thought it was either espn 1 or 2.

Reaction Score

I thought of that too. I'd be interested to see if that could work.

The problem is in that Paige can still catch-and-shoot from 20+ feet making a double team useless because how often can you double a catch-and-shoot player 20 feet from the basket in which you can prevent her from taking a catch-and-shoot shot? Paige has a quick release, high release, is quick and fast herself, and size.

Secondly, Paige is a good passer off a double.

Third UCONN has at least one if not two other pg's in the game along with Paige thus if Paige doubled - more than likely if the pass goes to Evian or Nika in which they are open (i.e. not pressured) they'll likely make the right pass. They would struggle more if guarded tighter. Thus if you set up a defense designed not to guard them very tight and they are passing guards by nature, then they may likely torch the defense with their penetration and passing.

Fourth, if they are open- the 2 have showed they can stick 3's. If jutst one of them gets hot they will likely crush the gimmick defense.

Do you want to risk starting the game off giving the UCONN guards open reign to pass and little pressure in having them shoot? Nika Muhl in last 5 games is shooting 43.5%. That's equivalent to 65.25%. You run a risk of having her settling into the game doing what she does best-- passing ofc -and shooting wide open shots. Sure it might work. But there is risk. We'll see!!!

Reaction Score
Not sure box and one would help us so much. By definition you have to keep the ball away from "the one". Not sure we do a great job denying the ball from offensive players. Not a huge emphasis at UConn. Who would that player be? AG? NM? EW? A box and one also leaves other players open for shots. The idea is that players are spooked by being left open and they miss the open shot. Not sure any of our biggest rivals are the kind of teams in which you would employ that D. I think a zone, with 3 on top would have helped us with Arkansas.
Maybe use it a couple of possessions at a time. It also slows the game down. I used it last year in a championship game and it actually helped us defensively but it slowed us to a crawl offensively. I love up-tempo. I called time out and told our guys that we were pulling out of it, so we could get moving. Too late.

Reaction Score
Paige seems pretty comfortable, and effective, when she's not shooting the ball, so I'm not really worried about it. If you want to stop 3-pt shots, you have to close on the shooter. Paige will drive when that happens. She also has an incredibly quick shot release. Focusing too much on her might backfire. Pick your poison.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think Blakon18 is wondering about the chance of someone throwing a box and 1 at us.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If, SC is going to concentrate on Paige(and how could they not), this is an ideal time for Paige to show her passing skills and hit the open players......We know she can pass; let's see if the open players can score.

Reaction Score
Since this game will be on FS1, interesting ESPN2 is putting the #9 Arizona vs #12 Oregon game on also at 7pm. For those that always wanted to watch the PAC-12 but couldn't stay up late, here's your chance. :rolleyes:

View attachment 64351
Lobo & Landers are doing a good job of promoting our game for Fox right now during ESPN's Louisville-ND game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
NC State in trouble with NC and LVille is struggling with ND

Reaction Score
If Paige or anyone on UConn hits one three pointer in the first quarter, they will have outscored the entire UConn team in last year's first quarter. 1 of 16 field goals in the first quarter; shameful; the game was over. Only 1 3 pointer in the entire game by the entire team was made by someone not named Crystal (who was 3 of 7). Christyn was 2 of 12, 1 of 2 from 3. Only Crystal made a free throw, & Christyn was
0 - 2. If Christyn is used as a slashing penetrator this year, she must be prepared to hit her free throws, & should not be counted on to hit from outside.
The demarcation was strong between UConn & the most elite teams last year, with UConn losing by 18, 18, & 16 to them, while 29 - 0 against the rest. It didn't feel as though UConn was elite, just a very good team, with missing pieces.
Of course, Dawn's troops will be all over Paige, but if they double-team her, it could open things up for Evina/Nika/Liya. How much will Liya help Liv? How much will Nika assist Paige? Can the dynamite twins, Mir & Aubrey go off? More than anything, I'd like to see Paige hit a very early 3, & racing down the court in open-mouthed defiance, shaking her fist "UConn is back!"

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts, Tony. If they are going to try to limit Paige, I hope that they make a lot of fouls in trying to stop her and I hope that we make all of those foul shots. If they try to put two on her to stop her 3 ball, this may very well leave one of ours open to score. Then again, having them try to stop Paige may open up with a combo of Liv and Edwards from to key to basket. Nika could also be a force in this game with steals, disruption, scoring and taking fouls. Again making foul shots is going to be valuable. Evina, Chrystin, Nika, and, of course, Paige will help if they can drop the 3 ball. Disrupt, confuse, and attack will be the key to victory.
They won’t double team Paige. They just aren’t going to let her get anything easy. SC has played against Dungee, Rhyne Howard, Chennedy Carter and that’s just what they do. They are going to make her be on her A game the entire game. I’m excited for this game to see how good SC is too. It will be a real measuring stick for both teams. The game itself isn’t that important. But it’s gonna show both teams what they need to do before the tournament.

Reaction Score
Well here we go. I expect this to be one of the most watched games this season. A couple of things . I expect SC to pay alot of attention to Paige. Paige can wear you down, can SC defense wear Paige down? We will see. Paige is poised and patient and knows how to get her teammates involved. Paige makes plays and makes things happen. How will they defend her? I expect a lot of different players and alot of difference defenses. SC's focus is to slow down Paige and wear her out. UConn will counter that by running plays to get her open. This is gonna be a tough battle for both teams. UConn is coming into this game without any fear and they are coming in hungry. UConn has grown alot from the Ark and Tenn games. This group has the "I want to" and theyre ready for this battle. They are young and looking forward to the challenge. The Tenn and Ark games both on the road were great experiences and will help them alot in this game.

I expect UConn to attack the basket alot. We must play to our strengths which means taking high percentage shots that we know we can make not taking shots we dont make and praying they go it. Liv needs to stay close to the basket and Christyn needs to dribble drive. BTW I expect all our guards to dribble drive especially with so much attention being paid to Paige. UConns offense because of Paige and Evina will open things up in the middle. SC doesnt have that this season, their 3 pt shooting is not what it was and their ball handling is not what is was last season. Paige Evina and Nika are great point guards who exemplify leadership. the guards will win this game for their team. UConn as a team is better then last season. I expect both teams to pressure the ball. UConns ball handlers should be able to handle it. SC may not handle it was well. SC will try and rebound and run and apply pressure on the ball while still trying to maintain Paige. UConn will counter by running their motion offense and defensively trying to keep the SC guards from handling the ball by packing it in and forcing SC to shoot treys. UConn needs to maintain their Poise and Patience while executing their offense.

Win or loose this is gonna go a long way for our young freshman. I know they will battle and fight and not give up because they've proved that already. This freshman class has guts, they are tuff and determined and are relentless on defense. If UConn is hitting their shots like they have I dont think SC can put up as many points as UConn. With that said I expect a game in the low 70's / 60's.

Although both teams are young SC has experience and UConn has alot of freshman who are gaining experience. If UConn plays their game I dont think they can loose. There are gonna be alot of battles between these two teams over the next few years. We're both young with great rosters and great recruiting classes coming in next season. UConn 69 SC 60.
No, Liv does not need to stay close to the basket .. she needs to play at the high post, set screens, and open up the lanes by pulling Boston away from the basket. If she's open from 15 feet, she should take it!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
UConn's a Fox Sports school now.
Yes, Fox never before showed womens basketball before Uconn came in. Their deal with the Big East is they get to showcase the Huskies whenever a big game is scheduled. They basically stole the game from ESPN. Now instead of listening to Rebecca and the crew that know the Huskies, we have to listen to a couple of hacks that probably never broadcasted a game on national TV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom