The back story on Rutgers to Big 10 ( plans to capitalize on NY-NJ market) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The back story on Rutgers to Big 10 ( plans to capitalize on NY-NJ market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is it that every town (169) of them, has a network of bridges, roads and infrastructure? Because someone built them. While having to fight zoning and environmental opposition is a cost of doing business, this isn't like the state and its taxpayers having to pay for it. It is a private entity, or at least that's where the revenues come from. Realistically, either the money from the Big 10 comes into the state, or it doesn't.

I referring to a whole re-work of 195 from 84 or the many years proposed extension of 384/44. Not local campus infrastructure. Without massive roadway improvements to state roads, feeding 40k+ onto campus will be complete and utter disaster and will keep people away when the intent is to increase attendance. You get a bump from students but may not offset folks from other areas of state. Not saying impossible - but clearly not a cakewalk either and many, many, many years out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't put the stadium in Storrs. It would be a debacle on so many levels.

Yeah let's move the stadium away from the money.

You want to get some of the NYC DMA through Fairfield County? Moving the stadium away from them and adding traffic is about the worst possible way to do it. It would add 3 hours for someone from Fairfield County easy without a few hundred million in new roads.

Reaction Score
I live in near Danbury and even if it was Norwalk it would be an extra 20-30 mins with the right infrastructure. Hartford traffic isn't great so why would expanded access around Storrs be much worse? It ain't gonna happen soon but it should be a consideration as the next step. 3 hours if you include sightseeing maybe. But admittedly a lot of work to be done.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I live in near Danbury and even if it was Norwalk it would be an extra 20-30 mins with the right infrastructure. Hartford traffic isn't great so why would expanded access around Storrs be much worse? It ain't gonna happen soon but it should be a consideration as the next step. 3 hours if you include sightseeing maybe.

A 60,000 seat stadium in Storrs. It's at least an extra hour round trip with no traffic. It would be a minimum hour in and hour out without spending hundreds of millions on roads.

We probably have one of the five best stadiums in the country as far as access and traffic. Why give people a reason to not attend because traffic sucks.

Even Rutgers told the Big 10 that a new stadium was a 'non-starter'. It's right in the article.

The people who live there don't want it, the legislature would freak abandoning a stadium that isn't even a decade old yet. Nobody lives there and it's nothing but extra time and distance to drive. You might as well just ask people not to come.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I referring to a whole re-work of 195 from 84 or the many years proposed extension of 384/44. Not local campus infrastructure. Without massive roadway improvements to state roads, feeding 40k+ onto campus will be complete and utter disaster and will keep people away when the intent is to increase attendance. You get a bump from students but may not offset folks from other areas of state. Not saying impossible - but clearly not a cakewalk either and many, many, many years out.

Disagree. You have to take a lot of small roads (or a boat, which is great if you ever get the chance.) Yet somehow they manage to get people in and out of their stadiums without it being a disaster. How do they do it? Well for Army people come early and leave late and spend the day on campus. It is a family atmosphere and great place to see a game. On campus stadiums tend to be tough to get to. It is manageable, especially with the new downtown Storrs development. It is a moot issue, to be sure, but if it wasn't we'd figure it out. (Rutgers turns roads into two lanes in one direct to speed people out, for instance.) By the way, I like the Rent. I'd rather it was bigger and on campus but it is a nice facility.

CL82

Reaction Score
A 60,000 seat stadium in Storrs. It's at least an extra hour round trip with no traffic. It would be a minimum hour in and hour out without spending hundreds of millions on roads.

We probably have one of the five best stadiums in the country as far as access and traffic. Why give people a reason to not attend because traffic sucks.

Even Rutgers told the Big 10 that a new stadium was a 'non-starter'. It's right in the article.

The people who live there don't want it, the legislature would freak abandoning a stadium that isn't even a decade old yet. Nobody lives there and it's nothing but extra time and distance to drive. You might as well just ask people not to come.

Could not disagree more. I think being on campus would improve attendance, and as noted above, getting in and out won't be that much of an issue since the traffic would be more 'feathered' since hanging around is more attractive.

Reaction Score
Disagree. You have to take a lot of small roads (or a boat, which is great if you ever get the chance.) Yet somehow they manage to get people in and out of their stadiums without it being a disaster. How do they do it? Well for Army people come early and leave late and spend the day on campus. It is a family atmosphere and great place to see a game. On campus stadiums tend to be tough to get to. It is manageable, especially with the new downtown Storrs development. It is a moot issue, to be sure, but if it wasn't we'd figure it out. (Rutgers turns roads into two lanes in one direct to speed people out, for instance.) By the way, I like the Rent. I'd rather it was bigger and on campus but it is a nice facility.

Where did West Point come into the discussion? You lost me.

... And Rutgers uses light rail and shuttle busses from the other campus. Hey - maybe we can re-route the New Britain to Htfd busway?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Where did West Point come into the discussion? You lost me.

... And Rutgers uses light rail and shuttle busses from the other campus. Hey - maybe we can re-route the New Britain to Htfd busway?

He used West Point as an example of an on campus stadium and why it works despite very limited ingress and egress. You'd have to drive there to understand it.

I feel as if some of these threads develop without any regard for the obvious.....there is zero chance that the state is going to let UConn build an on-campus stadium. They didn't build the Rent so they could have a place to have flea markets on fall Saturdays.

Reaction Score
He used West Point as an example of an on campus stadium and why it works despite very limited ingress and egress. You'd have to drive there to understand it.

I feel as if some of these threads develop without any regard for the obvious.....there is zero chance that the state is going to let UConn build an on-campus stadium. They didn't build the Rent so they could have a place to have flea markets on fall Saturdays.

I guess I was trying to figure out his transition since he disagreed with me and i never brought Michie/West Point into the discussion. I have been there and agree, but somehow i don't equate West Point and Storrs as the same game day destination.. Michie is also the same size as the Rent and the proposed on campus venue would be larger by ?20k.

I agree it's a moot point Fishy, that's why I'm amazed that it keeps coming up and my self control to ignore it dissipates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Could not disagree more. I think being on campus would improve attendance, and as noted above, getting in and out won't be that much of an issue since the traffic would be more 'feathered' since hanging around is more attractive.

You have not lived in Connecticut for 40 years I guess. Do people hang around after games at Gampel or do they leave on fire halfway through the second half.

I honestly can't believe this is an argument. People barely show up in East Hartford. Make it further away and fewer show up. This could not be an easier concept.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
West Point is a great example. I've been there twice for UConn games. It's an amazing scene. I love the idea of going there some Saturday that UConn is off. Yet getting there and parking and leaving is such a nightmare I don't ever do it.

Reaction Score
On campus stadiums are generally great, but putting a stadium in Storrs would be a big mistake and we'd lose attendance. Don't even know why its a topic for discussion because the stadium is already built.

Reaction Score
I think an on-campus stadium is a non starter. Besides B1G schools would love the Rent as it provides easy access for their alumni living between Boston and New York City. I actually think we would be one of the most convenient and popular destination for B1G away fans.

Just as a hypothetical - if UConn were to move football to campus, the Rent should really try to lure an MLS team. Even though the team is owned by Bob Kraft, I know the New England Revolution are really trying to find a better stadium situation for their team. Gillette is too big, has artificial turf and hipsters in Boston have not bought into that team.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I think an on-campus stadium is a non starter. Besides B1G schools would love the Rent as it provides easy access for their alumni living between Boston and New York City. I actually think we would be one of the most convenient and popular destination for B1G away fans.

Just as a hypothetical - if UConn were to move football to campus, the Rent should really try to lure an MLS team. Even though the team is owned by Bob Kraft, I know the New England Revolution are really trying to find a better stadium situation for their team. Gillette is too big, has artificial turf and hipsters in Boston have not bought into that team.
Let's work with the ownership of the Pats again, not!! Don't you remember the last time we tried that, with moving THE Pats to CT?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
West Point is a great example. I've been there twice for UConn games. It's an amazing scene. I love the idea of going there some Saturday that UConn is off. Yet getting there and parking and leaving is such a nightmare I don't ever do it.

Exactly. Once every five years is about right.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No doubt on campus would be an atmosphere plus... But how long would the required roadway infrastructure take to get approval? My guess w/ environmentalists and local opposition 5+ years (yet alone the funding).

Planned campus extension to RTE 44 has been in development for going on 25 years. YMMV.

I doubt there is room on the main campus for a stadium that size plus parking.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

Reaction Score
I guess I was trying to figure out his transition since he disagreed with me and i never brought Michie/West Point into the discussion. I have been there and agree, but somehow i don't equate West Point and Storrs as the same game day destination.. Michie is also the same size as the Rent and the proposed on campus venue would be larger by ?20k.

I agree it's a moot point Fishy, that's why I'm amazed that it keeps coming up and my self control to ignore it dissipates.

Wait, I thought you were the one who brought it up....anyway, I agree it is a moot point, but it is "doable." Another example is Rutgers which has a miserable entrance road. On the way out they close the incoming lanes so that both lanes can be outbound. There are other examples but the point is you don't need a highway coming right up to a stadium enterance to make it viable.

You have not lived in Connecticut for 40 years I guess. Do people hang around after games at Gampel or do they leave on fire halfway through the second half.

I honestly can't believe this is an argument. People barely show up in East Hartford. Make it further away and fewer show up. This could not be an easier concept.
40 years? You'd be guessing wrong.

Basketball vs. football are an apples to oranges comparison. People don't tailgate for basketball games. It is a different culture. Turn out might well improve at a destination location rather than a landing strip and a Cabelas.

Again, I like the Rent and I know that there is no chance that we are building a second stadium in the foreseeable future, but egress isn't an insurmontable problem, in my opinion.

CL82

Reaction Score
Planned campus extension to RTE 44 has been in development for going on 25 years. YMMV.

Horsebarn Hill? Husky Hill (the old ski slope?)

Reaction Score

Storrs campus is comprised of nearly 3500 contiguous acres of which about a 1/3 is developed or actively used for agricultural research. Contrast that with the University of Alabama which has just under 2000 acres total...and they manage to squeeze in a pretty nice stadium with parking.

In the master plan for north campus, there are huge portions of flat, buildable land set aside as "farmland preservation". While I don't think we will see a stadium on campus (unfortunately), it will not be because there is no room for a stadium and parking.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

Football traffic would make Gampel traffic look like Zombieland.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Storrs campus is comprised of nearly 3500 contiguous acres of which about a 1/3 is developed or actively used for agricultural research. Contrast that with the University of Alabama which has just under 2000 acres total...and they manage to squeeze in a pretty nice stadium with parking.

In the master plan for north campus, there are huge portions of flat, buildable land set aside as "farmland preservation". While I don't think we will see a stadium on campus (unfortunately), it will not be because there is no room for a stadium and parking.

Most of that land is either unbuildable (for a variety of reasons), needed for the Ag School, or just too difficult and expensive to modify. Trust me, I know what I'm saying here. The North Campus is about 330 acres and the buildout agreed to with the Army Corps and DEEP is all that will be allowed.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The thing that jumped out to me is that MD and Rutgers aren't getting a full share of the $$$ for six years. I wonder if it's a sliding scale or a set % for the six years. Six years is a loooooong time, IMO.

CL82

Reaction Score
Football traffic would make Gampel traffic look like Zombieland.

If everyone comes at the same time, perhaps, but that almost certaintly would not be the case.

CL82

Reaction Score
Most of that land is either unbuildable (for a variety of reasons), needed for the Ag School, or just too difficult and expensive to modify. Trust me, I know what I'm saying here. The North Campus is about 330 acres and the buildout agreed to with the Army Corps and DEEP is all that will be allowed.

I don't think so since the Pfizer building was going to built there.

Reaction Score
I went to Piscataway this year. Their ferocity was no greater than ours at the better games at the Rent in past years, and that's with the 10K+ Rutty has (stadium wasn't filled either, btw).

Come on man. That's an outright lie. UCONN's gameday experience, as described by many of your own fans...pales in comparison to Rutgers. It's not even close, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom