The B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We haven't proved diddly poo on the football field and some of you feel like we have a sense of entitlement, due to finances, to a P5 conference.
Fact of the matter, we gotta perform on the field of play, be an attractive program, in order to get that P5 love that we might believe we deserve..

Since we've been at the FBS level (about 15 years , now, right?) we've been labeled "boring".. boring boring boring... we gotta get rid of the "boring" label somehow, some way...

I like the culture Diaco has brought to our program, but, culturally, was that really an issue in terms of how are coaches (FBS level) prepared the student athletes? Don't think so. We gotta take yet that next step in recruiting... We're hurting in the trenches... Take a look at Maryland. yeah, they're B1G and all, but just seeing them scoop up to of the top OL in the country this late in the recruiting year speaks volumes.. While we continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel, in hopes of turning a kid with upside into an NFL talent.

Hopefully, in 2016, the 'boring' label on our program starts to dissipate.

I get so excited whenever I see that Indiana or Illinois or Minnesota is going to hit the gridiron!

Reaction Score
Game, set, match. Our football program will sky the second we get into a good conference.
this s what I'm hoping.. but that's also like waiting til you hit the lotto in order to start living...

Reaction Score
If the things you are posting are important, then how did Rutgers get in the B10?
My reasoning for my post is I'm tired of seeing some of us post negative stuff about some programs already at P5 conference level like we're better than them.. when we're trying to get there... Let's get there, perform, then talk the talk along with walking the walk...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's get there, perform, then talk the talk along with walking the walk...
But the cold, hard facts is that there is no way we ever get "there" in our current situation. It's just not going to happen.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We haven't proved diddly poo on the football field and some of you feel like we have a sense of entitlement, due to finances, to a P5 conference.
Fact of the matter, we gotta perform on the field of play, be an attractive program, in order to get that P5 love that we might believe we deserve..
Respectfully disagree ktuck. We WERE P5, we already rose up and proved we belonged. We've been demoted from a combination of events both in our control and beyond our control... We should never have been in a position where we have to earn our seat back... But, here we are. I don't know if entitlement is the right word, but we are P5 in everything but name.

Reaction Score
But the cold, hard facts is that there is no way we ever get "there" in our current situation. It's just not going to happen.
What gets us "there"? Tell me... Winning/exciting football could do it, no?

Reaction Score
I get so excited whenever I see that Indiana or Illinois or Minnesota is going to hit the gridiron!
Minnesota averaged 52K+ fans at home games this year. Illinois, just under 40K. Somebody was excited enough to buy tickets. How did UConn do and when answering that you'll find a good reason why they haven't been invited to a P-5 conference yet.

Reaction Score
First ... weyuo. We have already proven we can draw with a "supposed" P5 type conference. Our years 2003-2009 in the (lacking Miami, VT, BC) Big East were excellent. If you disagree, you're lacking perspective. The fact that the PP and dissolution of the BE football hammered us will be factored into any view.

Second ... I have been watching the Rose Bowl for over 30 years closely. For 8 years, I lived very close to that stadium in that valley with the San Gabriel mountains in the horizon view. Many many times, I have watched the B1G team get clobbered. Maybe it is the Lawry's Steak dinner they put in front of the players or Disney visits. Every year ... over & over. But I remember 45-10 or 42-18 scores with Iowa or Illinois or others on the bad end in the late 80s. Nothing new here. Sure ... this year's Ohio State team may have made a far better show. I am not going to take an conclusive thought on this. Lawry's curse makes just as much sense. IF ... UConn ... were in the Rose Bowl - on a good year for us - we certainly won't play worse than some of the B1G teams I have watched.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Minnesota averaged 52K+ fans at home games this year. Illinois, just under 40K. Somebody was excited enough to buy tickets. How did UConn do and when answering that you'll find a good reason why they haven't been invited to a P-5 conference yet.
If we get into the Big12, we will sell out our home slate. The area fans will support big-time football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What gets us "there"? Tell me... Winning/exciting football could do it, no?
Right, but we could have Bear Bryant as coach and there still would be a cap on how good we could get in this league.

Reaction Score

Since we've been at the FBS level (about 15 years , now, right?) we've been labeled "boring".. boring boring boring... we gotta get rid of the "boring" label somehow, some way...

I like the culture Diaco has brought to our program, but, culturally, was that really an issue in terms of how are coaches (FBS level) prepared the student athletes? Don't think so. We gotta take yet that next step in recruiting... We're hurting in the trenches... Take a look at Maryland. yeah, they're B1G and all, but just seeing them scoop up to of the top OL in the country this late in the recruiting year speaks volumes.. While we continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel, in hopes of turning a kid with upside into an NFL talent.

Sorry, but I call BS. Everything you said in your first paragraph about us and football could be said by us as haves in hoops. Name me the last three posts saying Washington State and Nebraska and Clemson shouldn't get to play power conference basketball because they have proven squat compared to us. Name me the last three posts saying that no one but Tennessee should get to play us in women's hoops because no one but us and them has proven squat.

We are, by any real combination of metrics, a P-5 school stuck for a variety of reasons that have everything to do with the past and nothing to do with the present outside a P-5 league. What we don't need is folks who think they are UConn fans stating that we don't deserve a status that we do for whatever reasons.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking more like 56-3. We can't compete with those teams yet.

And, UConn won't be able to compete with those teams in the future, unless they can get in a P5 conference where you can recruit P5 level talent. Being in AAC, relegates UConn to too many kids that can't get P5 offers. And, unlike Boise, UConn doesn't play an exciting enough brand of football to compensate for this.

Reaction Score

I like the culture Diaco has brought to our program, but, culturally, was that really an issue in terms of how are coaches (FBS level) prepared the student athletes? Don't think so. We gotta take yet that next step in recruiting... We're hurting in the trenches... Take a look at Maryland. yeah, they're B1G and all, but just seeing them scoop up to of the top OL in the country this late in the recruiting year speaks volumes
.. While we continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel, in hopes of turning a kid with upside into an NFL talent.

Need to blow up all current thinking about offense and concentrate on development of a high octane offense- one that top players would want to be a part of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm thinking more like 56-3. We can't compete with those teams yet.
We beat one of those teams twice in two years not so long ago.

Reaction Score
We beat one of those teams twice in two years not so long ago.
I'm thinking more like Ohio St. and Michigan St.We haven't beat anybody in the B1G accept for Indiana in 2003.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm thinking more like Ohio St. and Michigan St.We haven't beat anybody in the B1G accept for Indiana in 2003.

Well, we beat Indiana in 2006. We're 2-2 vs. the B1G since we went D-1. And Sparty has nothing on Baylor over the last few years.

Reaction Score

If we can't create an exciting, winning program in a minor conference, there is no way P-5 programs are going to invite UConn to their thoroughbred stable. Heck, even in the AAC this team performs like a lame pony.

How is it that Houston, Memphis, Temple, and Navy (for pete's sake, even the Navy coach admits his player's are upper level FCS recruits) can succeed in this current situation.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree ktuck. We WERE P5, we already rose up and proved we belonged. We've been demoted from a combination of events both in our control and beyond our control... We should never have been in a position where we have to earn our seat back... But, here we are. I don't know if entitlement is the right word, but we are P5 in everything but name.

I get what you mean CTMike... We proved ourselves by getting to the Fiesta Bowl... HOWEVER, even then, there were so many naysayers... We have the world's greatest sports entertainment business in our backyard ( ESPN ) and they don't even respect us. They never did... And they pretty much control the whole enchilada when it comes to which FBS schools get the most exposure... That alone is a tough cookie to swallow.. and that speaks volumes about where are program is right now (with the PP fiasco), how far it's come in a couple years ( Diaco off to a good start ), and where we need to go (P5)... In our minds, we should be in a P5 conference, but we gotta shut up those naysayers who control the whole thing so they can have no choice but to endorse us..

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I call BS. Everything you said in your first paragraph about us and football could be said by us as haves in hoops. Name me the last three posts saying Washington State and Nebraska and Clemson shouldn't get to play power conference basketball because they have proven squat compared to us. Name me the last three posts saying that no one but Tennessee should get to play us in women's hoops because no one but us and them has proven squat.

We are, by any real combination of metrics, a P-5 school stuck for a variety of reasons that have everything to do with the past and nothing to do with the present outside a P-5 league. What we don't need is folks who think they are UConn fans stating that we don't deserve a status that we do for whatever reasons.

I'm just looking at things for what they really are right now... yeah, Husky fans, speaking to the "real ones", we are P5 level. I'm talking about what I actually see happening or has been happening since we went to Fiesta Bowl and even before.. Our boring style of football, along with the "WTF" playing calling, is killing us. Reality. Let's hope in year 3 of the Diaco era that we turn the corner. It's a little frustrating to see us get leapfrogged by other schools who "aren't P5" caliber but end up in the P5 conference light years before us. I don't think it's right for us to knock somebody that's already there when we haven't gotten there yet.

Accept my venting for what it is.. Put the $$$ aside, clean the steam off of your eyeglass lenses and just see it. If you're a Husky fan like myself, you'll understand what I mean.

Reaction Score
Well, we beat Indiana in 2006. We're 2-2 vs. the B1G since we went D-1. And Sparty has nothing on Baylor over the last few years.
We can compete with half the teams in the B1G. As of now,we would get destroyed by Wisconsin,Michigan,Ohio St.,Michigan St.Iowa, and Nebraska.Too big,too fast,and just better athletes.Beating Indiana is nothing to write home about.Even they are a much better program now, than when we played them. 56-3 would be a common theme, as we stand today.Hopefully Diaco can get some play makers on offense.

Reaction Score
Look at their home slates and look at ours.

Reaction Score
Maryland and Rutgers were chosen for their locations,neither one were barn burners in football,especially Rutgers who has won squat. Maryland attendance at games was nothing to write home about and look who came to their stadium. Did Edsall have an exciting brand of football?

Reaction Score
What I don't get is why the B1G chose NYC's landfill over our quaint B&B state :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom