The Athletic: Which 15 Teams Would Form College Football’s “Super League”? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Athletic: Which 15 Teams Would Form College Football’s “Super League”?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Thinking this would never happen is lol funny. Soccer fans never thought it would happen look at where they are.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
I started by making the list of the 15 programs that likely would be included in a college football Super League. I chose the 15 that I thought would deliver the most viewers across the widest swath of football-loving geography. Success factored in, but it wasn’t the primary driver. This is the part that drives people crazy about the current system of Power 5 and Group of 5 conferences, and it would only be magnified here.

Here are the 15 programs, listed in alphabetical order. Prepare for many, many hurt feelings.

Alabama

Auburn

Clemson

Florida

Georgia

LSU

Michigan

Nebraska

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oregon

Penn State

Texas

USC

Expand the College Football Playoff to 16 teams and you will achieve essentially the same thing. Most of these schools will qualify, some every year and a few others 3 out of 5. Throw in a bone for One or two non P5, increase the payoffs and you can keep the P5 Conferences for other sports.

Reaction Score
The other problem is that I’m not convinced that it would indeed be that lucrative in practice. Look at the list and who REALLY has a national following? Year in year out even if they aren’t having a good season. Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State Michigan. Maybes would be Oklahoma Texas and Penn State and then there are the didn’t you used to be somebody group: Nebraska USC Florida Georgia. the little brothers who got there because big brother brought them or in Oregon’s case daddy bought a seat: Texas A&M Oregon Auburn UCLA and I’d put LSU and Clemson in there own category. Not sure what to call it. LSU has a long storied history but they’ve rarely been that good. Clemson has always been a cut below and likely will follow the path of FSU and Miami when Dabo leaves. College football isn’t the NFL ( which by the way has 32 teams all in MAJOR markets). Have you ever been to Lincoln Nebraska or Norman OK or College Station? If your are relying on alumni and local fans this isn’t going far. Then there is the media question. Guessing this will have a pretty big paywall component. ESPN has been losing subscribers by the millions year over year. In the current situation I wonder if people don’t just stop watching sports rather than pay for the privilege

Reaction Score
Thinking this would never happen is lol funny. Soccer fans never thought it would happen look at where they are.
Oops. Looks like the Super league is falling apart. Chelsea is leaving and so is Manchester apparently. My guess is that Florida would be pressured to leave unless FSU is also included. Michigan wouldn’t be allowed without Michigan State I could even see the Sourh Carolina legislature forcing Clemson to hold out for South Carolina and maybe Ok State pressuring state officials to find room for them.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Oops. Looks like the Super league is falling apart. Chelsea is leaving and so is Manchester apparently. My guess is that Florida would be pressured to leave unless FSU is also included. Michigan wouldn’t be allowed without Michigan State I could even see the Sourh Carolina legislature forcing Clemson to hold out for South Carolina and maybe Ok State pressuring state officials to find room for them.

"If at first you don't succeed you try again..."

Reaction Score
Since this is all about money, any list of Super league teams without Stanford is a joke. Silicon Valley’s billions (coupled with their football success) would assure their inclusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom