The Athletic: Richie Springs Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Athletic: Richie Springs Article

Reaction Score
Much higher on Springs than BA. Springs has a skill that I think will eventually be elite (rebounding). All you need is one elite skill and a coach who can exploit that, and your really have something

I understand what you are saying, but I also think it is possible that Adams could blossom at some point like Whaley did this year. Adams is a fantastic athlete. In just two years Hurley has put together an incredible roster.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying, but I also think it is possible that Adams could blossom at some point like Whaley did this year. Adams is a fantastic athlete. In just two years Hurley has put together an incredible roster.

Yep. Adams somehow, someone way is going to get 16-18 mpg. Mark it down.

Reaction Score
If he can shoot, watch him push Whaley for minutes at the 4.
My two cents..From everything I've read about RS.. Very early in his BB career.. He played some PG..Obviously he's gone through a growth spurt and change of position(s) since then.. So..He has a decent "handle"for a Big.... It seems that he is now a SF in a PF's body.. If he can occasionally put the ball on the floor to get his shot..Combined with his rebounding focus and the fact that he's put on 20-25lbs since he came on campus.. What's not to like?? Been trying to think of a comp to previous players..Maybe Edmund Saunders?? Josh Boone??A defensive -minded Donyell M?IMO..After a year in the trenches(in practice) and 10-15 minutes a game in BE.. I think he could blossom as a soph.. One of the "sleepers" on this team.. Extra bonus.. Bouk has his back..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he can shoot, watch him push Whaley for minutes at the 4.

If he can shoot you will see him playing with Whaley also. Isaiah looks like a decent shooter and maybe improving as we speak. If Springs can rebound more so that anything he will get minutes. We aren't going to have much time with size for sure. Need to keep guards healthy.

Reaction Score
It seems like Springs was almost a mystery. We never heard much news on him in the beginning. Assuming the season starts on time, Springs is going to have an opportunity to fill a void down low with Akok out until January.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If he can shoot you will see him playing with Whaley also. Isaiah looks like a decent shooter and maybe improving as we speak. If Springs can rebound more so that anything he will get minutes. We aren't going to have much time with size for sure. Need to keep guards healthy.
With Carlton and Sanogo at Center, I'm not sure.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Athletic is the best source for sports overall and that includes UConn coverage. Well worth the cost

Reaction Score
My two cents..From everything I've read about RS.. Very early in his BB career.. He played some PG..Obviously he's gone through a growth spurt and change of position(s) since then.. So..He has a decent "handle"for a Big.... It seems that he is now a SF in a PF's body.. If he can occasionally put the ball on the floor to get his shot..Combined with his rebounding focus and the fact that he's put on 20-25lbs since he came on campus.. What's not to like?? Been trying to think of a comp to previous players..Maybe Edmund Saunders?? Josh Boone??A defensive -minded Donyell M?IMO..After a year in the trenches(in practice) and 10-15 minutes a game in BE.. I think he could blossom as a soph.. One of the "sleepers" on this team.. Extra bonus.. Bouk has his back..
The off season certainly does wonders for people's expectations.

Reaction Score
The off season certainly does wonders for people's expectations.
..Been bullish on RS since he committed to us..Apologize if I appear optimistic about him..I like what he brings to the table as a freshman..DH has repeatedly been quoted as being excited about his "unique" skill set as well..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I get that but Whaley is the only one who we know can defend, as Hurley expects, against a smaller athletic team without a true center. So he can see some time at the 5 in those games for sure. Sanogo will have a lot to prove on the defensive end as will Carlton to see if he brought back any quickness at all. I think we start with Whaley as the prime minute guy with others fighting to get time at either the 4 or 5.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of people really think the athletic provides good articles. Is there a lot of volume too though? Just don’t want to spend the money for 1-2 UConn articles a month

I purchased the athletic a few weeks ago. There is good content and they already have done a good amount of UConn related articles (both positive and negative). Athletic did just have some layoffs but I don't believe any UConn writers were removed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

At this point, Whaley is a better and more effective player than Carlton. I expect him to continue eating up JC's minutes as he consistently did towards the end of the year. Carlton will have to make another leap if he wants those minutes back.

Reaction Score
Who does he remind you of? 6’9” rebounder. Alex Oriachi? I would take that.

Do you see that body type? I don’t.

I am hoping HILTON Armstrong. Or Roscoe post UCONN. A deer with 6-10 + wingspan

Reaction Score
At this point, Whaley is a better and more effective player than Carlton. I expect him to continue eating up JC's minutes as he consistently did towards the end of the year. Carlton will have to make another leap if he wants those minutes back.

That’s a misinterpretation of Carlton & the games we schedule. Carlton will have teams he is a perfect plug in our Gameplan; Whaley has developed into a far more utility Big for the way Hurley wants to play. Both have matured & will play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That’s a misinterpretation of Carlton & the games we schedule. Carlton will have teams he is a perfect plug in our Gameplan; Whaley has developed into a far more utility Big for the way Hurley wants to play. Both have matured & will play.

Dude he was trash most of last year. He had like 3 or 4 good games. I guess he's only useful in very limited scenarios then? Overall, that means not useful.

Whaley was just flat out better than Carlton at almost everything towards the end of the year. Plus, he's much more built for Hurley's style. He has athleticism, something Josh decidedly lacks

Maybe if Josh loses some weight he can regain a little of that 'rising star' vibe he had after his sophomore year

Reaction Score
Athletic has the best NBA draft writer also, Sam Vecenie. Was most accurate mock drafter over the past 3 years and beyond that clearly puts in the work.

Reaction Score
They had 7 articles this month. Much more in season. More feature articles than games stories. Give it a try. Myself, I'm all-in on The Athletic at this point. It auto-renewed before I started looking for a deal and I found myself not caring.
Maybe a silly question, but you don’t just subscribe to one teams content, with a subscription you get access to everything on the site, is that accurate?

Reaction Score
Dude he was trash most of last year. He had like 3 or 4 good games. I guess he's only useful in very limited scenarios then? Overall, that means not useful.

Whaley was just flat out better than Carlton at almost everything towards the end of the year. Plus, he's much more built for Hurley's style. He has athleticism, something Josh decidedly lacks

Maybe if Josh loses some weight he can regain a little of that 'rising star' vibe he had after his sophomore year

You’re wrong

Carlton is effective. But he came in as a limited basketball big ... and he won’t improve. He’s got good post moves; he thinks well on defense (though lacks physical qualities); he can score. He’s a good teammate. In the whole arc of UConn bigs, he’s fair.

Dude. Bro. Whaley was a find ... an unexpected boost mid to late last season. He’s a mobile piece that is a better fit for the way most college teams play today. I’m not sure why some of youse get off in denigrating OUR Team. It’s always been part of the Boneyard

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe a silly question, but you don’t just subscribe to one teams content, with a subscription you get access to everything on the site, is that accurate?
You get access to everything on the site with your sub. From there you can set your favorites to reach your teams with one click.

pj

Reaction Score
Carlton is effective. But he came in as a limited basketball big ... and he won’t improve. He’s got good post moves; he thinks well on defense (though lacks physical qualities); he can score. He’s a good teammate. In the whole arc of UConn bigs, he’s fair.

Carlton is better than Tyler Olander or Phil Nolan. As long as we don't need him to play starter's minutes, I'm glad he's on the team.

Reaction Score
Carlton is better than Tyler Olander or Phil Nolan. As long as we don't need him to play starter's minutes, I'm glad he's on the team.

I like this perspective. The Josh we saw last year has an important piece on the team and can be successful if used properly. That likely is not starting on an up tempo team.

If he loses weight this could all change though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom