The Athletic Power Ranking: Expected UCONN to struggle? No so fast! | The Boneyard

The Athletic Power Ranking: Expected UCONN to struggle? No so fast!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

(Azzi Fudd) "shooting 70 percent on 2s and 38 percent on 3s while averaging 30 points per game. Those are video-game numbers."

"UConn still has some ballhandling issues, even if Nika Mühl’s playmaking has been a real highlight so far, and the post defense could use some work."

Ranking:
  1. South Carolina
  2. UConn
  3. Stanford
  4. Iowa State
  5. Indiana
  6. Ohio State
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Louisville
  9. Iowa
  10. NC State
  11. North Carolina
  12. Virginia Tech
  13. LSU
  14. Maryland
  15. Creighton
  16. Utah
  17. Oregon
  18. Arizona
  19. Baylor
  20. Oklahoma
  21. Texas
  22. Tennessee
  23. Michigan
  24. Villanova
  25. UCLA
Lurkers: Duke, Gonzaga, South Dakota State, Marquette

Reaction Score
Uconn is in it's familiar spot, second or first. I'll settle for second now and correct the standing later in the year.GO HUSKIES!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Athletic posts a power ranking not a poll

Reaction Score

(Azzi Fudd) "shooting 70 percent on 2s and 38 percent on 3s while averaging 30 points per game. Those are video-game numbers."

"UConn still has some ballhandling issues, even if Nika Mühl’s playmaking has been a real highlight so far, and the post defense could use some work."

Ranking:
  1. South Carolina
  2. UConn
  3. Stanford
  4. Iowa State
  5. Indiana
  6. Ohio State
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Louisville
  9. Iowa
  10. NC State
  11. North Carolina
  12. Virginia Tech
  13. LSU
  14. Maryland
  15. Creighton
  16. Utah
  17. Oregon
  18. Arizona
  19. Baylor
  20. Oklahoma
  21. Texas
  22. Tennessee
  23. Michigan
  24. Villanova
  25. UCLA
Lurkers: Duke, Gonzaga, South Dakota State, Marquette
I agree that ball handling needs to improve and the post defense needs to get better. They’re not going to be perfect, but the “D” in the post needs to give some more resistance. Chalk it up to injuries being a part of it, but they’re not complaining. Aaliyah is not even at her peak yet and when she does get there, watch out.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
For our post defense to get better, it would mean our Rookie needs alot more playing time, she has all the natural skills to bring that necessary impact in the post, Both Dorka and Aaliyah have been with us long enough now for us to know what you see, is what you get. they are just not aggressive enough/react fast enough to the ball.. yes they can get us to the final four perhaps with team defense but for us to dominate in the paint at both ends we are going to need our rookie to be playing with confidence and just beating the opposition to the 50 /50 balls, like she already is.. beating them to the position in the paint , using her vertical jumping and strength to garner rebounds, start the fast break with good outlet passes and sprinting down the court for an easy layup or a dunk... Her development is so key right now to make this team unstoppable...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I find them pretty objective. They all come to the season with a mind set of UConn being down with Paige out for the year; then they go find what they want to support their mind set.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For those expecting a down year from the Huskies, it doesn’t look like it yet.

Here I Am Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Reaction Score
For our post defense to get better, it would mean our Rookie needs alot more playing time, she has all the natural skills to bring that necessary impact in the post, Both Dorka and Aaliyah have been with us long enough now for us to know what you see, is what you get. they are just not aggressive enough/react fast enough to the ball.. yes they can get us to the final four perhaps with team defense but for us to dominate in the paint at both ends we are going to need our rookie to be playing with confidence and just beating the opposition to the 50 /50 balls, like she already is.. beating them to the position in the paint , using her vertical jumping and strength to garner rebounds, start the fast break with good outlet passes and sprinting down the court for an easy layup or a dunk... Her development is so key right now to make this team unstoppable...
I was very impressed with Patterson’s court demeanor, if you will, against NC State; yes she got fouls but none of the “bull in a china shop” type. If I remember correctly 2 of her 3 were quite possibly of the “play on” variety. She seemed much calmer, much more under control; for me the first signs of her getting into the “just play” mode.

Reaction Score
We don't have a strong post defense compared to Stanford or SC but it's pretty good overall. The turnovers still are needing to be cleaned up if we are a top team. I don't think our defense is as good as it was at the end of last year even and probably never will be this year. All that said, our offense is terrific and we can beat anyone if we shoot well. If we can continue to get out on the break it sure would help also ( insert Aubrey here as key ). The bottom line is they are probably not NC but on any given night we can beat anyone. Get into the FF and roll the dice.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Patterson’s court demeanor, if you will, against NC State; yes she got fouls but none of the “bull in a china shop” type. If I remember correctly 2 of her 3 were quite possibly of the “play on” variety. She seemed much calmer, much more under control; for me the first signs of her getting into the “just play” mode.

It's hard to fault a freshman playing 2 top 10 teams in her 2nd and third games. I've seen more confused freshman than Patterson. As long as her work ethic stays where it is it's just a matter of giving her a chance to learn. The fact that Geno puts her in as part of the rotation says he likes her work. He can live with the fouls as long as Griffin is playing Ms. all-world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom