The Athletic Group of 5 Mailbag Question: Will UConn's turnaround under Jim Mora get them in a conference? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Athletic Group of 5 Mailbag Question: Will UConn's turnaround under Jim Mora get them in a conference?

Reaction Score
Nebraska doesn't have AAU membership. B1G would be nice if they accept us, UVa, Stanford and Cal. Think about the schedule with it. tOUS, PSU, Rutgers and let's say UCLA and Stanford at home? 5hink the Rent wouldn't be expanded to 70k? I'd still want hockeyin Hockey East not the Big 10.
We wouldn't be able to stay in Hockey East because the B1G already has hockey.

Reaction Score
Nebraska doesn't have AAU membership. B1G would be nice if they accept us, UVa, Stanford and Cal. Think about the schedule with it. tOUS, PSU, Rutgers and let's say UCLA and Stanford at home? 5hink the Rent wouldn't be expanded to 70k? I'd still want hockeyin Hockey East not the Big 10.
That may be a long-term goal. I think UConn has to expand its research volume first. UConn also may need to win most football games every year, as well as make it into the final rounds of the men's NCAA basketball tournament again. All of this is very possible. But it may be more likely we get into the ACC sooner than the B10.

Reaction Score
You're allowed to want what you want. But the thought that the Big Ten might make us an offer and we're going to wait one second to negotiate back on where our hockey plays, even if you could, is truly absurd.

Big Ten: "Would you accept ..."
UConn: "YES!!!!!!!!!!!"

That will be the extent of the conversation.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You're allowed to want what you want. But the thought that the Big Ten might make us an offer and we're going to wait one second to negotiate back on where our hockey plays, even if you could, is truly absurd.

BL, not to nitpick but we would respond "Yes" before the Big Ten completed the word "accept".

Reaction Score

What if after the word 'accept' Big Ten says "membership in the jelly of the month club."

Reaction Score
UConn should get its football officials from the B1G as many former Big East officials migrated there after the dissolution of the Big East football conference. Getting future games against Snookie, the Terps, & dare I say the Nits should also be on A.D. Dave's agenda.

Reaction Score
UConn should get its football officials from the B1G as many former Big East officials migrated there after the dissolution of the Big East football conference. Getting future games against Snookie, the Terps, & dare I say the Nits should also be on A.D. Dave's agenda.

Maryland is in our near future. I am sure we'd like to play Rutgers home and home. We should assume that the fact it's not on the schedule means that Rutgers isn't ready to.

Reaction Score
Is this an expanded version of a limerick
Since you a person who appreciates literature ,I’m dedicating the
following to you.
The Ballad of UConn Sports

In a far away corner
of a land called Connecticut residents built a place for their child to educate .
For years tucked away Isolated , caught in a sleepy dream it’s most famous achievements were partying and ice cream
That changed when a man from RI with hope and foresight thought our school would fit into his plans just right
We struggled at first our best product excuses but Dom was let go to stop the abuses .Things started to change for the better when our AD got Jim to sign his letter ,he proceeded in taking us farther and farther in the sport played in a big hall with five athletes,two baskets and a round ball
The powers took notice and though it would. be nice if only this success like lightning would strike twice
Off we went on a this new venture, some thought a fools quest , we spent millions on a goal to compete outdoors with the best
Before we could even get our team started some members of our new family up and departed.
We stomped our feet and cried foul and to a judge we protested
It came to naught as the jury rested
Despite all our protest fuming and talking the family it seems
was just a dead man walking
It soon fell apart the fans they did smart alone and abandoned by all but two foe who just like us had nowhere to go.
To compound the disaster our AD the b****** , hired a local whose skills had eroded and thus begin
our journey downward without hope of returning .For the good old days our fans were a yearning .
When all hope appeared lost and the sport running up cost
We abandoned our home to go it alone .
Things. didn’t improve and only a few fans to contribute there was very little hope and no money to distribute .
Out of nowhere our AD had a whim, let’s go out into the coaching market and hire another Jim
Only time will tell if he will be the anointed man , who like Moses of old will lead us to the promised land .

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
In terms of media thoughts on us, the trajectory is this

Year 1: 6-6/7-5: Ignoring, dismissal, passive aggressive shots, “they did WHAT”

Year 2: 7-5: Ignored by media. At end of year data journalists and low level guys talking about where we might fit in ten years

Year 3: 8-4: Mid level journalists posting mid year think pieces “Thought experiment - what if UCONN is a P5 candidate?”

Year 4: Every big journalist is pairing us with who the hell ever as the quintessential piece in moving realignment scenarios, basically being the new BYU

Reaction Score

Year 2: 7-5: Ignored by media. At end of year data journalists and low level guys talking about where we might fit in ten years

Year 3: 8-4: Mid level journalists posting mid year think pieces “Thought experiment - what if UCONN is a P5 candidate?”

Year 4: Every big journalist is pairing us with who the hell ever as the quintessential piece in moving realignment scenarios, basically being the new BYU
Spot on... If Mora and the other top coaches stay.... we will be in a P5 conference before this decade is over.

Reaction Score

I think we're already at year 2.5. UCONN and Jim Mora have already gotten a ton of press and praise. No one is saying a P5 candidate yet but there is at least a slight buzz.

Reaction Score
Didn’t read the whole thread, but our AAC experience in BOTH basketball and football demonstrated that a huge component of the UConn culture, the powers that be inside and the fan base outside, is very snobby about who we think we should be associating with and playing on the athletic field. We consider current P5s (including the NBE in non-football sports) as our peer institutions and pine for the day that they will finally agree. Sitting by ourselves at our own football lunch table while parking other sports in the NBE for the interim was the petulant, cocky, and now in retrospect, brilliant thing to so. It showed a great understanding of UConn Nation. We now fully recognize that the nature of our fan base won’t allow us to hang out at any nerds tables anymore that are perceived to be beneath us. It would fail miserably (again) if we did. We will happily hang out by ourselves during football season, associate with our old buddies in other sports, and anxiously await with baited breath for the cool kids to finally invite us to sit with them. Meanwhile, we try to glow ourselves up. The recent facilities upgrades, improvements in many other sports, and now Him Mora’s success this year, has helped with that immensely.

Reaction Score
The B1G would be smart to get UConn now to balance off the additions of SC and UCLA. At first I hated to say it, but I kinda like having BC as a local rival and travel partner. Both hockey programs would be great additions and we could set up a huge football rivalry with the game payed at Gillette Stadium. Bball and hockey doubleheaders at the Garden as well.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The B1G would be smart to get UConn now to balance off the additions of SC and UCLA. At first I hated to say it, but I kinda like having BC as a local rival and travel partner. Both hockey programs would be great additions and we could set up a huge football rivalry with the game payed at Gillette Stadium. Bball and hockey doubleheaders at the Garden as well.
Oh lol, why would we want to play games in Massachusetts?

CL82

Reaction Score
Dumbest mistake we ever made as a football program was rejecting the series with Notre Dame because our legislators didn’t want to play games in NY/NJ and Massachusetts. Very short-sighted and it cost us.
Lol, do you see a difference between Notre Dame and Massachusetts? I do, but maybe it’s just me.

(you aren’t wrong by the way.)

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry if I was off-topic. I’m annoyed watching the Giants game.
Not a problem at all

Reaction Score
Dumbest mistake we ever made as a football program was rejecting the series with Notre Dame because our legislators didn’t want to play games in NY/NJ and Massachusetts. Very short-sighted and it cost us.
It’s not a bad idea to try and get one money game a year at Metlife or Gillette. At least we don‘t have to fly and our fans can go. Hopefully in a few years we can be competitive enough to score and not lose by 50+.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom