The Athletic Group of 5 Mailbag Question: Will UConn's turnaround under Jim Mora get them in a conference? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Athletic Group of 5 Mailbag Question: Will UConn's turnaround under Jim Mora get them in a conference?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Notes:

They have a corrupt academic mission, a famous cheater as a head coach, and just "upgraded" to a terrible conference. We shouldn't even agree to play them, much less emulate them.

Liberty's football "blip" will come crashing down spectacularly soon enough.
I don’t know. I kind of enjoyed playing them today.
Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I appreciate we probably don’t have as much clout as BYU, but has it ever been considered that UConn should just independently negotiate a deal with a random bowl game to be eligible, not unlike BYU’s agreements? That would seem to square a lot of the issues of remaining independent for the next decade.

Reaction Score
Lol. We can go back to the AAC whenever we want. Are you serious?
Some of you guys want to fail. It’s unreal.
I said there is no reason to go back to the AAC now, it’s a different conference with Cincinnati, Houston & UCF leaving. If we had stayed in that conference playing those teams we could have sold the B12 on giving us an invite. There is no argument that we carry the Boston & NYC TV markets, but our move out of the AAC was a sign that we were downgrading our football program.

Reaction Score
I said there is no reason to go back to the AAC now, it’s a different conference with Cincinnati, Houston & UCF leaving. If we had stayed in that conference playing those teams we could have sold the B12 on giving us an invite. There is no argument that we carry the Boston & NYC TV markets, but our move out of the AAC was a sign that we were downgrading our football program.

The B12 added Cincy, UCF, Houston and BYU. If we had stayed in the AAC which of those 4 teams do you think we would have replaced? Personally I think we would still be stuck in the AAC.

The good news is Mora and Hurley have our stock improving should more B12 expansion take place. Root for the PAC 12 to survive.

Reaction Score
Disagree - it was a sidestepping move to position basketball for immediate improvements and football for future improvements, which are now happening faster than most people thought.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
We absolutely would have been left behind. My hope is that if we had we would have pushed for more viable northern or Midwestern schools (Buffalo?) rather than miscellaneous southern CUSA brands, if they could be called that

Reaction Score

We were beyond awful. There was no Big 12 invite coming.

Reaction Score
I appreciate we probably don’t have as much clout as BYU, but has it ever been considered that UConn should just independently negotiate a deal with a random bowl game to be eligible, not unlike BYU’s agreements? That would seem to square a lot of the issues of remaining independent for the next decade.
I feel the opposite. I thought the Big 12 was an awful fit before but now I really think it would be a good option. Conferences are going coast to coast. Cincy and West Virginia are old Big East mates. It would be great if it added a couple East Coast schools but with the PAC 12 imploding, the Big 12 has many options. And the basketball is great. Big 12 should just make the jump to Big 12 x 2 and lock down the 3rd position for good. Add UCONN, Temple, ECU (to stick it to tobacco road), USF, Corner 4 . . .

An aside. WV Men's Soccer moved from the MAC to the Sun Belt this year. So I look up to see what Cincy will be doing and it ended its men's soccer program in 2020. I did not know that. Odd and sad for such a large midwestern university.
A coast to coast G5 is insane a coast to coast P5 is-doable
You already have Cinncy , WVA, USF , and even Houston in an Eastern wing
The Big 12 could use Northeastern eyeballs
Success in that conference and The ACC will be begging us to join.
Its like the girl that ignores you until another girl takes an interest in you

Reaction Score
Lol, after beating a ranked opponent to become bowl eligible yesterday, this is the post you decided to make?

SMH
He is absolutely correct even if timed poorly. That and the Randy hire were the general perception of the sports world. Then it was backed up by disaster on the field.
The Last hire came out of left field and was possibly as much about enhancing the perception that football wasn’t dead after all.
Possibly someone rethought the future less football and said no way.

Reaction Score
UConn in the aac was a disaster. The conference was actually more difficult then the big east, and it brought less money and no buzz.

UConn couldn’t draw a fly for some of those games.

UConn schedule this year almost perfect. I would hope temple wound want to get on the schedule in the future. Temple and Rutgers hopefully interested in getting in rotation.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think if/when Delaware makes a move up, we will be in a relatively good position scheduling wise to slot them and UMass late in the year in when most other conferences are playing in-conference games. The three schools I would think should work together on scheduling. I thought the level of collaboration with UMass (only road team with band, dance team, cheerleaders, other stuff) was good both in terms of playing well with a program we (unfortunately) need right now as well as rivalry building. Wouldn’t mind doing that with Delaware too even if it’s further away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think if/when Delaware makes a move up, we will be in a relatively good position scheduling wise to slot them and UMass late in the year in when most other conferences are playing in-conference games. The three schools I would think should work together on scheduling. I thought the level of collaboration with UMass (only road team with band, dance team, cheerleaders, other stuff) was good both in terms of playing well with a program we (unfortunately) need right now as well as rivalry building. Wouldn’t mind doing that with Delaware too even if it’s further away.
Sure, get the Maine Black Bears in there for our FCS opponent too. Yankee Conference, baby!

Reaction Score
Hear me out:

Football finishes 8-5 this season, followed by back to back 9 win seasons in year 2 and 3 of Mora. The Rent attendance returns to ~40K to 35K as UConn is a consistence bowl team, beating some notable P5 schools each year.

Mens Basketball makes the sweet 16 this season. The following year with Hurleys highest rated recruiting class ever, they make the final 4. The next year they make another deep run and Hurleys team continue to a be top 25 team.

Womens Basketball win another title in Paiges senior year and remains a top program.

Which conference wouldn't want us in next 3-5 years?!?

Reaction Score
Hear me out:

Football finishes 8-5 this season, followed by back to back 9 win seasons in year 2 and 3 of Mora. The Rent attendance returns to ~40K to 35K as UConn is a consistence bowl team, beating some notable P5 schools each year.

Mens Basketball makes the sweet 16 this season. The following year with Hurleys highest rated recruiting class ever, they make the final 4. The next year they make another deep run and Hurleys team continue to a be top 25 team.

Womens Basketball win another title in Paiges senior year and remains a top program.

That's the plan.

Reaction Score
Hear me out:

B10 still may not want us given that we do not have AAU membership and it may take a while to get one. But ACC may be very interested especially if other conferences come a calling.

Reaction Score
UConn in the aac was a disaster. The conference was actually more difficult then the big east, and it brought less money and no buzz.

UConn schedule this year almost perfect. I would hope temple wound want to get on the schedule in the future. Temple and Rutgers hopefully interested in getting in rotation.
I disagree that the AAC was more difficult than the Big East. You have to remember that the worst Big East teams were not nearly as bad as the worst AAC teams. If you look at UConn's Sagarin schedule rating during the Big East and AAC years, it show UConn played a tougher schedule in the Big East than the AAC. Here are the numbers:

Big East: 2004 to 2012: 61.9
AAC: 2013 to 2019: 77.0

The real problem was UConn football starting falling apart in 2012 and never recovered which made the AAC appear more difficult. Look at the Sagarin ratings:

Big East: UConn football 57.4
AAC: UConn football 126

If UConn had won in the AAC, fans would have come to games, although probably not as much as during the Big East days. Bottom line, UConn made 2 really bad head coaching hires that really tanked the program and UConn did not invest in the program. You can argue that UConn doesn't have the money, but look at the salaries over time in this table:

UConn: 2009: $1.5 million, 2022: $1.5 million
Cincinnati: 2009: $1.5 million, 2022: $5.0 million
Houston: 2009: $700k, 2022: $5.0 million
UCF: 2009: $1.15 million, 2022: $4.0 million

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Hear me out:

I think most of us expect to be backfill. I'm fine with being backfill, but to your plan here - I'd love to be a value someone wants to go out and get without schools leaving somewhere else.

Reaction Score

Having barely double figure conference wins in 5-6 seasons more likely reduced attendance than the opponents.
You think you would be able to get a home ticket for a game if we were 9-0 or even 8-1 going into our 10th game.
Even if is was Tulsa or Tulane .
In sport it’s not build it and they will come it’s win and they will come.
My opinion because of market potential is;
If UConn’s football team was a dominant force in the AAC that last contract would have been significantly better.
It was still G5 but a lot closer to G6
with us as the flag bearer.
We were along with Navy the closest thing to a national brand that conference had. That means eyeballs and eyeballs equal $$$.
If we were successful in football that sport might still be in that conference or more likely a P5 today.
If the Big 12 wanted us the ACC would have never let it happen .

Reaction Score
I am not overly concerned about LU itself, but what it has accomplished is pretty amazing
Academic: It is a member of the NAICU which has to mean something since NAICU includes the Ivies, Northwestern, Vandy, Duke, Stanford
Coach: It's aiming to be SEC-like
Conference: It's only been FBS for 5 years and is now ranked

like LU or not, it is getting it done
All NAICU membership means is that they are private and willing to pay the dues. It says nothing about the quality of Liberty's or any other member's academics. Sure the Ivies, Stanford, et al are members, but so are Albertus Magnus, Goodwin, Mitchell, University of St. Joseph, etc. You cannot infer academic equivalence.

Reaction Score
Having barely double figure conference wins in 5-6 seasons more likely reduced attendance than the opponents.
You think you would be able to get a home ticket for a game if we were 9-0 or even 8-1 going into our 10th game.
If UConn’s football team was a dominant force in the AAC that last contract would have been significantly better.
We were along with Navy the closest thing to a national brand that conference had. That means eyeballs and eyeballs equal $$$.
If we were successful in football that sport might still be in that conference or more likely a P5 today.
I agree with this..also should have kept the Big east name and never invited Tulsa

Reaction Score

Is this an expanded version of a limerick?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hear me out:

Considering the ACC took Cuse and Pitt the fall following a men's national title and Fiesta Bowl appearance, who knows.

Reaction Score
The should throw out BCU now and add UConn in its place.
At least one Carolina fan thinks BCU and Syracuse should be tossed . . .

1668537290693.png

However, there is little support on the ACC boards to add us. Most of the thread was like this . . .

1668537569152.png

Of course, fans don't decide these things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom