The Athletic Anonymous Coaches UConn-SDSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Athletic Anonymous Coaches UConn-SDSU

Reaction Score
99 Duke wasnt complacent, we just went out and beat them. Those guys played tough. We played tougher.
Just in general, not comparing to that Duke team. Also, they didn’t really have any lows in their season at all, we know what it felt like to be down in the dumps in a sense. Gonna be 100% focused.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this.

What I found interesting is that they won't switch off the ball screens as much to avoid having a guard on a big in the post. That means that if Clingan and Sanogo can set good solid screens, ones that won't get called for fouls, Hawkins and other guards should be able to rise up and shoot on the catch with some clean looks.

Another interesting thing I noticed is, unless you only posted some of the article and not all of it, this is talking about UConn's offense vs San Diego's defense. UConn has to make sure they are dialed in and focused on defense and not let any frustration on offense affect their defense. If UConn can do that and also not commit turnovers, especially the live ball ones that lead to easy baskets (i.e. vs Miami), they can make it really difficult for SDSU.

Like Rick Pitino said, "when you play these tough focused defensive teams, you can't get frustrated. You have to make sure you play better defense than them."

Watch for UConn screeners off the ball sliding to the basket for back door cuts.

Reaction Score
Not according to Vegas.
Sometimes they get it wrong. Those teams play 10 times and they split, I happen to think UConn takes 6 or 7 out of 10 but I'm biased.

I think UConn is significantly better than SDSU. SDSU is a great defensive team and great at rebounding but we're great on both ends. I think it's going to be really hard for them to keep up if/when we go on a couple scoring runs.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sometimes they get it wrong. Those teams play 10 times and they split, I happen to think UConn takes 6 or 7 out of 10 but I'm biased.

I think UConn is significantly better than SDSU. SDSU is a great defensive team and great at rebounding but we're great on both ends. I think it's going to be really hard for them to keep up if/when we go on a couple scoring runs.

Sometimes they do. But if people want to hang their hat on a 7.5 Vegas spread tonight, I've seen that movie before from the other side. It's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score

Yeah, if tiny FAU can score 70+ on them, then we can too. FAU also missed a few FT at the end that would have iced it and gave up a billion OREB in the final few minutes. They choked that game away

Reaction Score
Sometimes they do. But if people want to hang their hat on a 7.5 Vegas spread tonight, I've seen that movie before from the other side. It's all I'm saying.
What can you do but control the controllables?? Keep your money in your pocket.. Stay hydrated.. Take a power nap since there's a late tip off.. Stick with your normal routines.. Listen to some tunes in your noise- cancelling head set...
And keep Miller Lites chilled on ice.. If you have favorite Husky threads that have good vibes.. Break them out..

Then you're good to go.

Reaction Score
correct. I am not hanging on my confidence on the Vegas spread-that means nothing to me. UConn was favored against George Mason and lost. I remember going into that game I fully expected UConn to win and go to the 2006 Final Four without even giving a remote thought to the fact that George Mason could beat UConn even though UConn wasn't that great leading up to that game. I won't make that mistake again.

Not that my approach has any bearing whatsoever to the game but I want to make sure I don't offend the Basketball Gods ;)

Reaction Score

That's just it right there. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. There is no guaranteeing they go on a run at all. But having said that, you are correct if UConn can go on a scoring run or two I am not sure SDSU can match that. UConn has to show they have the better defense. Most of the talk is about SDSU's defense slowing down UConn and frustrating them and I get it as SDSU's defense and UConn's offense are both top 10 (unstoppable force vs immovable object). However, UConn has to avoid live ball turnovers and in doing that and playing stout UConn defense they can certainly strangle the life out of the San Diego State offense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Like every game this season, the outcome will have very little to do with what SDSU does and everything to do with what UConn does or doesn't do.

Play well and win or don't and see what happens.

Rebounding, defense, protect the ball and don't go ice cold for 5-6 minutes at a time.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley keeps the chip on their shoulder by preaching to them how everyone thinks SDSU is so tough and great defensively. If we don’t allow offensive rebounds and play defense like we can it will be very difficult to beat us.

Reaction Score
That's just it right there. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. There is no guaranteeing they go on a run at all. But having said that, you are correct if UConn can go on a scoring run or two I am not sure SDSU can match that. UConn has to show they have the better defense. Most of the talk is about SDSU's defense slowing down UConn and frustrating them and I get it as SDSU's defense and UConn's offense are both top 10 (unstoppable force vs immovable object). However, UConn has to avoid live ball turnovers and in doing that and playing stout UConn defense they can certainly strangle the life out of the San Diego State offense.
SDSU erased a 14 point FAU lead. Maybe it didn't happen quickly, but that's certainly a "run."

Reaction Score
SDSU erased a 14 point FAU lead. Maybe it didn't happen quickly, but that's certainly a "run."
that's true. With UConn, as we have seen, no big lead is safe. But I would love it if they get a big lead. I don't want this game to be close.

Reaction Score
Feels like we are 99 Duke . Dont like it at all.
Anything can happen once we start the game, but this is not like the ‘99 Championship. It was absurd that Duke was such a big favorite in that game, because all year long we played basically just as well as they did. They just had more PR and won more convincingly in a tournament that was always going to come down to us versus them.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Anything can happen once we start the game, but this is not like the ‘99 Championship. It was absurd that Duke was such a big favorite in that game, because all year long we played basically just as well as they did. They just had more PR and won more convincingly in a tournament that was always going to come down to us versus them.
Vegas isn’t in the PR business. They are in the money business

Reaction Score
And we aren’t 99 Duke.

What’s your point?
It’s your point lmao. Why bring it up then? You’re saying SDSU is to this UConn team what UConn was to that Duke team? If you are then you’re way off. This UConn team may be the most under seeded team of all time. Outside of 3 weeks they’ve been the best team in the country

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom