the AMERICAN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

the AMERICAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unimpressed with Tulsa?

CBB starts with good experienced guards. Why do I say that ... should a UConn fan need to ask that question? You can't get past Harrison & Woodard. Rashad Ray is a good third. And then the #15 outplayed our Samuels-Purvis-Calhoun mix. That's a good recipe. We have often played teams with solid guards and had trouble.

What I don't get ... is despite viewing this team ... you still come & post that we are above the American. We ARE NOT dominating this conference. Could we? I think OUR ceiling with Development of Brimah & Facey & the Samuels-Purvis-Calhoun troika should be far higher. But, we are still a Development Team. Yes, we don't have the mix of the talent ready Bigs that we have had in the past. Stone would help greatly. But, I see lots of room for our current roster. Then ... the obvious question.

Reaction Score
Right now here are the resumes for our top teams in the conference. After looking at these and how teams are playing, I am assuming SMU and Cincy will finish strong, and unfortunately UConn you just can't trust.

Cincinnati Resume: My Prediction - 9-11 seed
11-4
RPI: 37
BPI: 38
KenPom: 35
Key Wins: SDSU, NC State, SMU
Bad Loss: Maybe Nebraska

SMU Resume: My Prediction - 8-10 seed
12-4
RPI: 18
BPI: 36
KenPom: 25
Key Wins: Temple, Michigan, Wyoming
Bad Loss: None

UConn Resume: My Prediction - Currently not in, but win conference tournament could be a 10-12 seed
9-6
RPI: 70
BPI: 49
KenPom: 41
Key Wins: Florida, Dayton, Cincinnati
Bad Losses: Yale

Tulsa Resume: My Prediction - Not in
11-4
RPI: 34
BPI: 98
KenPom: 60
Key Wins: UConn, Auburn, Temple
Bad Losses: Oral Roberts, Division 2 team(doesn't affect RPI)

Temple Resume: My Prediction - Not in
12-6
RPI: 50
BPI: 91
KenPom: 68
Key Wins: Kansas, UConn, La Salle
Bad Losses: Saint Josephs

I think we are looking at 2, maybe 3 teams in the tournament right now. If UConn starts wins out their games, then they can start being considered an at-large bid. Temple is slowing dying off after their Kansas win so I don't expect to see them in the tournament talk much longer. Also Tulsa isn't as good as the resume says, their division 2 loss doesn't show in the rankings they would have a worse RPI if it did and I don't think they will have enough quality wins to be able to make it in.

Reaction Score
Right now here are the resumes for our top teams in the conference. After looking at these and how teams are playing, I am assuming SMU and Cincy will finish strong, and unfortunately UConn you just can't trust.

Cincinnati Resume: My Prediction - 9-11 seed
11-4
RPI: 37
BPI: 38
KenPom: 35
Key Wins: SDSU, NC State, SMU
Bad Loss: Maybe Nebraska

SMU Resume: My Prediction - 8-10 seed
12-4
RPI: 18
BPI: 36
KenPom: 25
Key Wins: Temple, Michigan, Wyoming
Bad Loss: None

UConn Resume: My Prediction - Currently not in, but win conference tournament could be a 10-12 seed
9-6
RPI: 70
BPI: 49
KenPom: 41
Key Wins: Florida, Dayton, Cincinnati
Bad Losses: Yale

Tulsa Resume: My Prediction - Not in
11-4
RPI: 34
BPI: 98
KenPom: 60
Key Wins: UConn, Auburn, Temple
Bad Losses: Oral Roberts, Division 2 team(doesn't affect RPI)

Temple Resume: My Prediction - Not in
12-6
RPI: 50
BPI: 91
KenPom: 68
Key Wins: Kansas, UConn, La Salle
Bad Losses: Saint Josephs

I think we are looking at 2, maybe 3 teams in the tournament right now. If UConn starts wins out their games, then they can start being considered an at-large bid. Temple is slowing dying off after their Kansas win so I don't expect to see them in the tournament talk much longer. Also Tulsa isn't as good as the resume says, their division 2 loss doesn't show in the rankings they would have a worse RPI if it did and I don't think they will have enough quality wins to be able to make it in.
I think there are some good things here. But if UConn wins out, they are probably a decent seed. Just use http://www.rpiforecast.com/ to get a sense of where their RPI would be. It's a good indicator.

If their RPI stays at 70, they are doomed. But the season is long.

Reaction Score
I don't think SMU has played very well at all. So ... I doubt you would lay money on them in. Temple is going to be tough all year. Tulsa, I think, is over the NEW coach transition which explains Oral Roberts loss in the first game & the Southeastern or Southwestern OKie loss.

I guess I am happy we have the tournament in Hartford. But, we'd do better if it was in Maui or MSG.

Reaction Score
I don't think SMU has played very well at all. So ... I doubt you would lay money on them in. Temple is going to be tough all year. Tulsa, I think, is over the NEW coach transition which explains Oral Roberts loss in the first game & the Southeastern or Southwestern OKie loss.

I guess I am happy we have the tournament in Hartford. But, we'd do better if it was in Maui or MSG.

SMU has been playing very well since they got Kennedy back, I think with Kennedy they could of gotten a win against Arkansas or Indiana.

Reaction Score
I think there are some good things here. But if UConn wins out, they are probably a decent seed. Just use http://www.rpiforecast.com/ to get a sense of where their RPI would be. It's a good indicator.

If their RPI stays at 70, they are doomed. But the season is long.

I don't think any team from the AAC will receive a seed higher than an 8, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Fill me in. Doesn't the NCAA have an automatic bid reserved for the previous year's National Champion in the men's division?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I admit I thought Tulsa was not nearly as good as I was expecting. That being said, Woodard couldn't miss, and the Shaquille kid is excellent at getting to the basket. UConn went up against two formidable scorers who are as good as any it will see this year. The rest of the Tulsa team seems unable to hit the broadside of a barn.

Still, consider that for all of their losses, Tulsa handled Temple, and Auburn and Creighton.

There's no point in complaining about Tulsa being a lowly American team when clearly it would be a middle of the road team in a P5 conference. They have proven that with their tourney success and their wins this year. You can't dismiss it.
I guess so. I was thrown off at the phrase, "Going to Tulsa is always a tough one." Doesn't make much sense to me considering we've won 4 national championships and we're talking about how Tulsa is a difficult opponent, regardless of how adequate they have been doing.

Still I don't think Tulsa is that good. Woodard had a good night, yes. He shot 50% from the floor against a defense that refused to play defense. And I think Shaquille isn't as good as we saw him - our piss poor perimeter defense allowed him to get to the rim, where foul-stricken Brimah was scared to pick up more fouls. I saw Shaquille vs. Wichita State earlier this year and he was neutralized by Ron Baker and Van Vleet so badly he didn't even look for a shot in the second half.

Reaction Score
I guess so. I was thrown off at the phrase, "Going to Tulsa is always a tough one." Doesn't make much sense to me considering we've won 4 national championships and we're talking about how Tulsa is a difficult opponent, regardless of how adequate they have been doing.

Still I don't think Tulsa is that good. Woodard had a good night, yes. He shot 50% from the floor against a defense that refused to play defense. And I think Shaquille isn't as good as we saw him - our piss poor perimeter defense allowed him to get to the rim, where foul-stricken Brimah was scared to pick up more fouls. I saw Shaquille vs. Wichita State earlier this year and he was neutralized by Ron Baker and Van Vleet so badly he didn't even look for a shot in the second half.

I think Shaquille had an off night. He is usually much better than that.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I think Shaquille had an off night. He is usually much better than that.
He started slow, but that was the only time he faced a good backcourt.

Reaction Score

This is why your posts do not make any sense.

You do realize teams have up and down years. Stop just looking at the front of the jersey.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Tulsa has done more this century in the NCAAs than Providence, Seton Hall or St. John's but y'all go on pining to play them instead.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
This is why your posts do not make any sense.

You do realize teams have up and down years. Stop just looking at the front of the jersey.
Tulsa always has been a decent/good program. But they're not the kind of program that you should be afraid to play against. Outside of Tulsa's Elite 8 run in 2000, they've been to the tournament 2 times in 14 years and never advanced to the Sweet 16.

Seton Hall and St. John's have been ranked the last 4 weeks. Providence, as well as the other 2 schools are on the uptick. Plus playing them boosts recruiting in the northeast. Plus less travel time. Not saying I want to join the Big East, but we don't fit in the AAC.

Plus Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's have the same number of NCAA bids as Tulsa this century, 3. Seton Hall went to the Sweet 16 once in that time period. They all have more Final Four's as well - and you're saying Tulsa is the better program? Tulsa has a good group of players right now, sure. But when they leave - dumpster fire. Name one team that Frank Haith has recruited himself to perform in March? There hasn't been one. He inherited a really good Missouri squad and lead them to a first round upset in 2011-2012. The dude is not a great coach.

Reaction Score
Tulsa always has been a decent/good program. But they're not the kind of program that you should be afraid to play against. Outside of Tulsa's Elite 8 run in 2000, they've been to the tournament 2 times in 14 years and never advanced to the Sweet 16.

Seton Hall and St. John's have been ranked the last 4 weeks. Providence, as well as the other 2 schools are on the uptick. Plus playing them boosts recruiting in the northeast. Plus less travel time. Not saying I want to join the Big East, but we don't fit in the AAC.

Plus Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's have the same number of NCAA bids as Tulsa this century, 3. Seton Hall went to the Sweet 16 once in that time period. They all have more Final Four's as well - and you're saying Tulsa is the better program? Tulsa has a good group of players right now, sure. But when they leave - dumpster fire. Name one team that Frank Haith has recruited himself to perform in March? There hasn't been one. He inherited a really good Missouri squad and lead them to a first round upset in 2011-2012. The dude is not a great coach.
Thanks for proving my point again.

You are the type of guy who in 2002 or 2003 would rather lose to UNC than Oklahoma.

P.S - Providence has not won a tournament game since Clinton was re-elected, sweet program.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point again.

You are the type of guy who in 2002 or 2003 would rather lose to UNC than Oklahoma.

P.S - Providence has not won a tournament game since Clinton was re-elected, sweet program.
Tulsa hasn't won a tournament game since 2003...

Reaction Score
Tulsa hasn't won a tournament game since 2003...
I will let you figure out which came first..........

While you are at, count how many tourney wins Tulsa has since that magical PC year.

Here is a hint you will need more than 1 hand to count them.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I will let you figure out which came first.....

While you are at, count how many tourney wins Tulsa has since that magical PC year.

Here is a hint you will need more than 1 hand to count them.
6. Unless you count 1997, then 7.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We came in third in the AAC last year and are 500 in the AAC this year.
Granted we made a great run in the NCAAT last year and we all want to be in a P-5,
but the AAC has not been a total walk in the park for us and few of the teams are "beneath" us.
Maybe people are confusing it with the women's team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom