"The American" | The Boneyard

"The American"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aresco also clarified what the American Athletic Conference plans to call itself moving forward.
"The American is how we want to brand ourselves and refer to ourselves," Aresco said on the show. "AAC is probably an acronym that is going to be used, but we're going to shy away from it because it is similar to the ACC and we want to try to avoid some confusion there. … Also the Appalachian Athletic Conference uses that acronym, too, so we’re trying to be sensitive to their situation."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lmao. People will absolutely be referring to the conference as the AAC.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Nah - Robert Redford...

Sent From my BlackBerry Z10 using TapaTalk

Reaction Score
Hey ....

Why not the "Americano" - love to say that at Starbucks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ironically, a conference that wants to 'big time' used initials that are widely know as standing for Amateur Athletics as in AAU. Freudian slip much?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Aresco also clarified what the American Athletic Conference plans to call itself moving forward.
"The American is how we want to brand ourselves and refer to ourselves," Aresco said on the show. "AAC is probably an acronym that is going to be used, but we're going to shy away from it because it is similar to the ACC and we want to try to avoid some confusion there. … Also the Appalachian Athletic Conference uses that acronym, too, so we’re trying to be sensitive to their situation."
I am absolutely thrilled that he is going to such great lengths to ensure we don't get confused with the Appalachian Athletic conference!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It is a good name actually. It means very strong and bold coffee, watered down.
I recently had an Americano when the cafe ran out of regular coffee, they charged the price of a regular cup. I thought it tasted better because the beans were different, but not so much better that I'd voluntarily pay 2-3x the price of a normal coffee.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Ironically, a conference that wants to 'big time' used initials that are widely know as standing for Amateur Athletics as in AAU. Freudian slip much?
Thats a stretch. They used letters, which they had too as letters are what we use in English. No matter what letters they used someone would come up with a connection to signify why they were not "big time" enough.

Reaction Score
I recently had an Americano when the cafe ran out of regular coffee, they charged the price of a regular cup. I thought it tasted better because the beans were different, but not so much better that I'd voluntarily pay 2-3x the price of a normal coffee.

I don't go to Starbucks often, but I think the price is only marginally higher. Like $2 for regular and $2.75 for an Americano. It's the cappucinos that get near $4. If I recall correctly from my Italian days, an americano is boiled strong coffee that is then watered down. It's not steamed like an espresso (or drip like regular American). For some bizarre reason I could never fathom, the Italians never just served the boiled coffee unwatered because it was thick and too strong.

Reaction Score
I think it is a good idea he is pimping the new conference as "The American". We all know ESPN and other networks are going to say this conference sucks at some point. Next time they say "The American sucks", it will sound unpatriotic. So, it is a nice way to protect this conference against media inevitable media badmouthing.

Reaction Score
I think it is a good idea he is pimping the new conference as "The American". We all know ESPN and other networks are going to say this conference sucks at some point. Next time they say "The American sucks", it will sound unpatriotic. So, it is a nice way to protect this conference against media inevitable media badmouthing.

They are calling it "The American Conference"

That's what I've heard them say a few times.

The reason Aresco didn't name it that is he wanted to be listed first under conferences on online websites.

Wasn't worth it, if you ask me. The AC sounds much better.

Reaction Score
I propose this to be the new, official theme song of the American Athletic Conference. This will be played before every conference game in lieu of the national anthem. Thoughts?

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Americano is also the name of one of my favorite cocktails--it's the kind of thing you sip on the patio before dinner when the weather's nice.

I like The American though, as a name. It's classy, like an old hotel or something. Which I realize may not be great imagery to immediately associate with a college athletic conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Any vid featuring Long Duc Dong is a winner in my book...

Somehow I picture HFD standing under Jim Delany's window, in front of his early 80's Olds, with a boombox over his head playing a remix of "In Your Eyes" with the lyrics of the chorus changed to:
in your eyes
UConn, the East
in your eyes
Huskies compete
in your eyes
It's the doorway to a million viewers
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
UConn, the East
in your eyes
oh, we want to be there to compete