The American likely to push for NCAA subdivision inclusion | The Boneyard

The American likely to push for NCAA subdivision inclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The American Athletic Conference will likely push for inclusion if the power conferences break into a subdivision or so-called "Division 4," commissioner Mike Aresco told CBSSports.com.
Aresco said he will expound on this topic at the conference's media days in Newport, R.I. early next week, and he wants to know the parameters of a subdivision before discussing further with his presidents.
But on the surface, Aresco believes the American would fit certain criteria such as market size and long-term viability on the field.
“We want to compete at the highest level,” Aresco said.

What was telling from Delany's press conference: he referred to “among the five of us (commissioners)” when discussing a subdivision. Not six, but five.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...likely-to-push-for-ncaa-subdivision-inclusion

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Aresco will see the parameters for Division 4 when we see them, after they are finalized by the power 5.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I really, really, really wish Aresco would just stay out of it. If we just stay silent maybe the P5 will mess up the paperwork and we can slip into D4. If he has set it as an objective to have the American included then we can rest assure that we are screwed.

Also - I really hope UConn is having conversations with the P5 independent of Aresco because he really doesn't represent us here. If you ask the question does the American belong the question has to be a resounding no with some of the in this conference. But if you ask the question does UConn belong, then the answer is yes. We had best be pushing our case here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Every man for himself now. Warde and Herbst and every politician and famous alum/fan who cares about Connecticut's economy should be pumping UCONN hard now. We're obviously willing to spend the money needed to compete with the "big boys" and we have competed very well against them too. Let's get this done.

Reaction Score
I really, really, really wish Aresco would just stay out of it. If we just stay silent maybe the P5 will mess up the paperwork and we can slip into D4. If he has set it as an objective to have the American included then we can rest assure that we are screwed.

Also - I really hope UConn is having conversations with the P5 independent of Aresco because he really doesn't represent us here. If you ask the question does the American belong the question has to be a resounding no with some of the in this conference. But if you ask the question does UConn belong, then the answer is yes. We had best be pushing our case here.

No breaking news here but discussion about the BTN, East Coast markets, inclusion of inventory beyond football and men's basketball, etc. The idea of your president advocating on your behalf for how UConn provides additional benefit to the BTN and B1G in these particular areas came to mind as I was reading this transcript: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...013-14/misc_non_event/SilvermanTranscript.pdf

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
How could the AAC join the p5 on this TV contract!? It would be like walking into the high stakes poker room with $35 to your name...

Reaction Score
No breaking news here but discussion about the BTN, East Coast markets, inclusion of inventory beyond football and men's basketball, etc. The idea of your president advocating on your behalf for how UConn provides additional benefit to the BTN and B1G in these particular areas came to mind as I was reading this transcript: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...013-14/misc_non_event/SilvermanTranscript.pdf
I am sure TV execs will even be talking to the B1G about us. We are a perfect addition to the B1G East. The B1G East is already super strong in football. What a glorious end that would be for UConn.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
So Aresco stands up for this league and pushes for inclusion with the big 5 and people still complain...

Please, let's see another 40 posts about what Aresco hasn't done or how he's failed...

Marty, I would cut you some slack if he had just done nothing. But the fact remains, every last single thing he has done has been a fiasco and I can't imagine how this doesn't end badly (and I know he can't do nothing, but that doesn't mean he won't f it up).
  • We added Memphis for the Liberty bowl - fail.
  • We added Tulane for God knows what reason - fail.
  • He couldn't keep the Western flank - fail.
  • He negotiated an abortion of a contract - fail.
  • Tulsa is joining this league - fail.
  • He is withholding funds rightfully due to UConn/Cinci/USF for five freaking years - fail.
  • He didn't even have a pulse on what teams were leaving the conference - fail.
  • He goes out of his way to burn the most prominent program in the league - fail.
The only effective negotiation this guy has lead was his own salary. Going forward, any commissioner of this league needs to have their compensation tied directly to the television contract.

Reaction Score
I am sure TV execs will even be talking to the B1G about us. We are a perfect addition to the B1G East. The B1G East is already super strong in football. What a glorious end that would be for UConn.

I hope you're right, I feel like the last 2 years in CR have been like a bad movie for UConn... There has to be a happy ending! Right? Maybe?? PLEASE?!?!?

Reaction Score
We are certi
Completely agree. Every man for himself now. Warde and Herbst and every politician and famous alum/fan who cares about Connecticut's economy should be pumping UCONN hard now. We're obviously willing to spend the money needed to compete with the "big boys" and we have competed very well against them too. Let's get this done.[/quo

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Every man for himself now. Warde and Herbst and every politician and famous alum/fan who cares about Connecticut's economy should be pumping UCONN hard now. We're obviously willing to spend the money needed to compete with the "big boys" and we have competed very well against them too. Let's get this done.
Unfortunately, Warde and Susan have only been monitoring the situation, not being proactive. Warde recently stated that he is done with CR and looks forward to this new AAC. That is where their heads are at. The got taken to the woodshed by Louisville and it their inaction will keep UConn down.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Warde and Susan have only been monitoring the situation, not being proactive. Warde recently stated that he is done with CR and looks forward to this new AAC. That is where their heads are at. The got taken to the woodshed by Louisville and it their inaction will keep UConn down.
God Almighty. Go see a psychiatrist. Please.

Reaction Score
Hey I understand, Aresco hasn't delivered on pretty much everything he set out as an objective, but he needs to be pushing to see what the criteria for inclusion is. Whatever this New Division is, how could you exclude a school that won three frigging national titles in men's hoops in the last 15 years? How do you exclude a football program that has beaten every team it ever played in the Big East conference, and the likes of ND, USCeast, UVA, Duke, Wake, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Baylor, all within the last ten years? How do you exclude a school/program that has invested in facilities like UConn, and somehow be called a "have not"? We are a have not in one sense and one sense only, out tv contract payout.

Reaction Score
giant-monitor-lizard-675593-.jpg

Reaction Score
I hope you're right, I feel like the last 2 years in CR have been like a bad movie for UConn... There has to be a happy ending! Right? Maybe?? PLEASE?!?!?
We're going to eventually go somewhere. Way too lucrative a market to pass up.

There's only 2 schools in the northeast between the AAC and MWC, us and Temple. That's a ridiculously low number of options for other conferences to expand here. If the NCAA stays together for a while longer, I can imagine other athletic departments in the northeast will develop more.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Hey I understand, Aresco hasn't delivered on pretty much everything he set out as an objective, but he needs to be pushing to see what the criteria for inclusion is. Whatever this New Division is, how could you exclude a school that won three frigging national titles in men's hoops in the last 15 years? How do you exclude a football program that has beaten every team it ever played in the Big East conference, and the likes of ND, USCeast, UVA, Duke, Wake, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Baylor, all within the last ten years? How do you exclude a school/program that has invested in facilities like UConn, and somehow be called a "have not"? We are a have not in one sense and one sense only, out tv contract payout.

But here is the question, what does he do when he finds out the requirement is a $65M + budget and national championships in the past 5 years? Does he keep that too himself since nobody but UConn meets that requirement, or does he run off and tell UConn that we have a chance to leave his league?

Aresco simply doesn't represent us anymore (and likely never did) and I really hope that our leadership recognizes this.

Reaction Score
I like what I had read about a 75 school super division. UConn would have to be among those ranks right?

Reaction Score
I like what I had read about a 75 school super division. UConn would have to be among those ranks right?

We need movement. The status quo is deadly for us.

Reaction Score
But here is the question, what does he do when he finds out the requirement is a $65M + budget and national championships in the past 5 years? Does he keep that too himself since nobody but UConn meets that requirement, or does he run off and tell UConn that we have a chance to leave his league?

Aresco simply doesn't represent us anymore (and likely never did) and I really hope that our leadership recognizes this.

I don't think the criteria is going to be as secretive as the coca cola formula. Also, UConn's leadership has to recognize at this point, that it is every man for himself here. If some of what we have heard is true, such as UConn has hired two people to focus on conf. realignment only, then I have to believe they already realize this.

I'm actually more optimistic now, that this new division is being bandied about, than about our prospects of getting invited to a P5 Conference under the current structure. Change is our ally here.

Reaction Score
We're going to eventually go somewhere. Way too lucrative a market to pass up.

There's only 2 schools in the northeast between the AAC and MWC, us and Temple. That's a ridiculously low number of options for other conferences to expand here. If the NCAA stays together for a while longer, I can imagine other athletic departments in the northeast will develop more.

I am just worried the current p5 is too exclusive and despite that UConn can supply the northeast there is no demand for it since the rich are already rich so to speak. I think we would need a 6th "division 4" conference of schools willing to pony up... i.e. Cincy, Boise, BYU, Houston...

The ACC/B1G/B12 outlook is still bleak for UConn but the p5 including 75 or so schools (one more conference) willing to spend the $$ would be great for us.

Reaction Score
If some of what we have heard is true, such as UConn has hired two people to focus on conference.realignment only, then I have to believe they already realize this..

Where did you hear this? Who did they hire?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score

Let me save FranktheTank the trouble of having to post a response to this:

No, UConn is not amongst those ranks. Any region that has rolling hills and green leafs in August is clearly a region that doesn't care about football. UConn's basketball programs are complete negatives because unlike SMU and Tulane whose championships lie in the future where the networks want them, UConn's are in the recent past and the networks have already squeezed all of the value out of them. The next big move is for the TV networks to scoop up universities that are in the direct lines of natural disaster because the potential for disaster keeps viewers engaged like good NASCAR. Look for the next moves to be: FAU, Tulane, Tulsa, Houston, Ark. State, Fresno State (global warming is making that place an oven), University of the Outer Banks, Cliff State University, Ice Pack College, and LIU-Rockaway. Perhaps if the P5 go to 76 UConn has a chance.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If it's a matter of conferences being the driving force then please let this be the one thing Aresco gets right. If not, we need Herbst to be the catalyst to lead UConn to the super-FBS. If the AAC and MWC aren't going to be respected because of the Tulanes and Wyomings maybe we need UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Boise and BYU to band together as a stronger unit. The thing hanging over the head would be ACC/B12 expansion which always has the potential to pick off individual schools... still a lot of unknowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom