The all hype team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The all hype team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah he was. Wiggins was around 60 by Scout and Rivals. ( I know at least one of them had him at 62 or 63, and I really think they both did.)

Reaction Score
This talk of Drummond being the most overhyped played ever is quite ridiculous. It's not like he was laying up goose eggs the entire year ,he had his moments. Coaches and teammates moving in and out of the picture didn't help

This isn't a thread about the ttiest players in UConn history. It's about the guys who came in and were expected to be dominant, season-changing forces, but weren't. Drummond fits that to a T.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was. Wiggins was around 60 by Scout and Rivals. ( I know at least one of them had him at 62 or 63, and I really think they both did.)
I was going to post the same thing. Just looked up his consensus ranking on RSCI (Final Class of 2006) and he was #55. All 6 recruiting ranking had him in the top 100.

RSCI

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Chuck Okwandu and Ed Nelson were the heart and soul of their teams.

Reaction Score
Normally I would say something very sarcastic towards the ACC but in this case I'll let it slide this one time.

Yeah, when 8 pts. and 6 rebs nabs you ACC Rookie of the Year, and you are not on Duke or Carolina, then you know it's a down year.

Reaction Score
Hazelton was a McDonald's All-American, if you can believe it.

Rudy Johnson was the Florida POY, somehow.

And of course Denham Brown once scored 111 points in a high school game (but at least he ended up being a real contributor).

Rudy Johnson was constantly injured until his 5th-year-senior year in 1995-1996, when he was a solid starting small forward. I remember being at a game at the Civic Center in '93, and watching him get carried off on a stretcher. That wasn't uncommon for every year except his last year.

Reaction Score
top 3 have to be:
1. Undisputed heavyweight champion...or light weight perhaps...Anjou Anjou Deng...I mean the guy was featured in sports Illustrated before he ever played, numerous guys, including Calhoun, called him one of the best ever...and he ended up a backup at Fairfield...

2. Ater Majok...though he would have been been great if the rest of th eleague used chairs instead of people to defend him...

3. Andre Drummond...though to some extent he brought this on himself with his tweets and so forth...can you say repeat? NOT! Though in fact he might turn out to be a very good or at least adequate NBA player. He was more of a distraction than a true help during his one year at UConn.

Reaction Score
Wiggins had real talent he just couldn't stay off the weed or burglaries
Wiggins was an A-10 level talent. If he had been from East Boston instead of East Hartford, nobody would have cared whether he came or went.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hazelton was a McDonald's All-American, if you can believe it.

Rudy Johnson was the Florida POY, somehow.

And of course Denham Brown once scored 111 points in a high school game (but at least he ended up being a real contributor).

I remember there was little home cooking going on with Scotty being on the McD's AA list but I don't remember the details.

Ajou (by the way I think KEA dubbed him the best player on the team before Packer)
Drummond
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I remember there was little home cooking going on with Scotty being on the McD's AA list but I don't remember the details.

Ajou (by the way I think KEA dubbed him the best player on the team before Packer)
Drummond
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel

A lot of McD's guys get picked because of the school they've committed to. See, e.g., Duke. I think that was the one time our brand name got someone on the team. I could be wrong, of course.

Reaction Score
A lot of McD's guys get picked because of the school they've committed to. See, e.g., Duke. I think that was the one time our brand name got someone on the team. I could be wrong, of course.
I actually think the reason for Scott getting picked was that McD game was in boston that year and they wanted a local kid. He was the Eastern mass player of the year so he was named a McD all-american.

Reaction Score
I thought Ed Nelson should have gotten more playing time then he did in 06, I remember that call that went against us near the end of the half in our Elite 8 game against you know who which I thought changed the momentum of the game.

Reaction Score
I thought Ed Nelson should have gotten more playing time then he did in 06, I remember that call that went against us near the end of the half in our Elite 8 game against you know who which I thought changed the momentum of the game.

I thought Ed wasn't very good during his time here but he did play well in the Elite 8 game against GM. He was able to hold his ground in the post and wasn't getting backed down at will like Josh and Hilton were.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually think the reason for Scott getting picked was that McD game was in boston that year and they wanted a local kid. He was the Eastern mass player of the year so he was named a McD all-american.

That sounds right.

Reaction Score
8. Doug Wiggins

9. Curtis Kelly
I like this! Both Doug and Curtis were highly touted recruits both being named "player of the year" in their states respectively. They both had really big potential coming in that huge 2006 class. Although you could say Curtis was all hype at Uconn cause he did carved out a pretty good career at K-State. Doug Wiggins on the other hand...Well we all know what happen when he went up to UMASS Amherst SMH.

Also im not sure if this player was really hyped upon his first collegiate game? But im just really disappointed in the 2 years Marcus Johnson was here. This guy was oozing with NBA potential with size and off the carts athleticism, he could have done some good things for this program. I may be a little bias because Marcus is my favorite Huskie player of all time. But there's no doubt in my mind if he would have stayed and had a real chance he could have been good here. Marcus did have a decent career at USC despite the scandal that was unfolding at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom