The Alienist | The Boneyard

The Alienist

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the book also, although it is fairly disturbing. Will be interesting to see how graphic and gritty the tv series is. I'm guessing it will be toned down since it's on TNT and not HBO or another premium cable network. I think my favorite aspect of the book was the imagined beginnings of forensic science. Hopefully the main cast is more than the 3 characters featured in the trailer or they will be missing some important pieces.

Reaction Score
I too read the book many years ago and remember enjoying it tremendously. I remember really enjoying the historical fiction aspect of it and trying to imagine New York City back in those days. Not quite Streets of New York gritty, but fairly disturbing nonetheless. I'll give the show a try, but the trailer doesn't do too much for me.

Reaction Score
This is pretty much my favorite book, I'd always been disappointed that a movie was never made. The sequel, The Angel of Darkness was also excellent.

I liked the trailer and I'll definitely give the series a shot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bump. Series debuts today 1/22 at 9 pm.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bump. Series debuts today 1/22 at 9 pm.

DVRing it. May finally watch episode 1 tonight. Reviews have been “meh”. Loved the book.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched it last night. I'll try another week or two, but the first episode didn't really hook me. I've seen Daniel Bruhl, Luke Evans and Dakota Fanning all do fine work before, but all 3 were fairly flat. That tells me it's problem w/ the script or the directing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anybody else watching? After 3 episodes, I think I'm done. Really slow developing, acting still seems fairly wooden, not much chemistry between the lead actors. Stevie is barely on the periphery, he was a much more important character in the novel. The book was somewhat macabre and obviously dealt with some unpleasant material, but something about the detective feeling around in an eye cavity of a murder victim missing his eyes w/ loud squishy sounds was too much. That and the seemingly too gleeful lingering shots of the boy prostitutes dressed up as women is way too icky. I think the network is trying too hard to be shocking like HBO and the other premium cable networks.

Reaction Score
I haven't loved it but do like it, look forward to seeing where it goes in the next episode. They are trying for the Taboo type darkness but that works for me. Right now they need to start consolidating the potential killer targets so I can hate some people a little more. It's too wide open for now as to who done it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We watched the first episode and will see #2 tonight. I slept through half of the first one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I thought the second and third episodes were pretty good. Nice to see Dakota did not become a drugged out partying Hollywood starlet. She looks great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom