The ACC rumors | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The ACC rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I think what hurts UConn more than anything that Coach PP or the football team do is the APR ban. Whether the APR ban is legitimate or not (don't get me started on how asinine this ban is; or the fact that nothing happened to UNC for it's scholastic blunder), the ACC prides itself on quality academic schools. I'm not saying that Louisville has a better academic program than UConn, but I am saying that they don't have an APR ban looming over their heads.

Reaction Score
I think what hurts UConn more than anything that Coach PP or the football team do is the APR ban. Whether the APR ban is legitimate or not (don't get me started on how asinine this ban is; or the fact that nothing happened to UNC for it's scholastic blunder), the ACC prides itself on quality academic schools. I'm not saying that Louisville has a better academic program than UConn, but I am saying that they don't have an APR ban looming over their heads.

No? They don't? You sure about that?

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the ACC is just as doomed as the BE. I think there will be more defections over the next year namely Florida State, Clemson, and possibly the U. At that point you'll have a great basketball product, but to be perfectly honest a crap football conference that is in no way better than what the BE has now or in the future. I'm also sure that ESPN has a clause in its TV contract with the ACC that significantly devalues or voids the contract should there be major defections. Obviously this is speculative based upon the above defections, but it it were to occur would UCONN really be better off? Maybe only to get a slice of the $50 mill buyouts all defectors have to pony up.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the ACC is just as doomed as the BE. I think there will be more defections over the next year namely Florida State, Clemson, and possibly the U. At that point you'll have a great basketball product, but to be perfectly honest a crap football conference that is in no way better than what the BE has now or in the future. I'm also sure that ESPN has a clause in its TV contract with the ACC that significantly devalues or voids the contract should there be major defections. Obviously this is speculative based upon the above defections, but it it were to occur would UCONN really be better off? Maybe only to get a slice of the $50 mill buyouts all defectors have to pony up.

Would UConn be better off?

YES.

Reaction Score

Seeing as it is only a matter of time before Louisville leaves the Big East, there's really no way you could say that the ACC isn't a better basketball conference than the Big East, especially sans Louisville.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
No? They don't? You sure about that?

What I'm saying is that they don't have an APR ban RIGHT NOW. Their academics have been less than stellar as well, so maybe they do have an APR ban coming, but they don't have one right now...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They're academics have been less than stellar as well,

irony.jpg

Reaction Score
Here's the really scary thing...if the ACC doesn't work out for whatever reason, the only UConn team in a MAJOR conference will be the Hockey team...ironic to say the least.

Reaction Score
Seeing as it is only a matter of time before Louisville leaves the Big East, there's really no way you could say that the ACC isn't a better basketball conference than the Big East, especially sans Louisville.

I never said the BE would be better in basketball, I was referring to football. I just think a move to the ACC (if it were to occur) is temporarily plugging a leak. The answer isnt the ACC, there are already rumors circulating that if the B1G wants to expand again, it would most likely look towards UNC, Georgia Tech, and/or Kansas. And that the Big 12 would obviously have to respond with only being at 10 teams. Who would they be targeting? Possibly Clemson, Florida State, and Va Tech. The answer isn't the ACC, is UCONN wants to survive in a major FBS conference it needs to start lobbying elsewhere. When this is all said and done I believe that there will be the PAc-12, B1G, Big 12, SEC, and some crap shoot that is comprised of former BE and ACC schools.

Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that they don't have an APR ban RIGHT NOW. Their academics have been less than stellar as well, so maybe they do have an APR ban coming, but they don't have one right now...

Ours is over next year. They have a scandal going on in which players were given phony grades. For decades.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They have a scandal going on in which players were given phony grades. For decades.
But that may well be a prerequisite for admission to the ACC rather than a barrier to entry.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
But that may well be a prerequisite for admission to the ACC rather than a barrier to entry.

Haha. Well whatever the admission requirements are to get in, let's just hope that our buddy over at the University of Hartford doesn't spring some new academic rules that will handicap UConn again.

Reaction Score
Well the APR penalty certainly doesn't help but I don't think it would be the reason for the ACC to go with Louisville over UConn. That being said I don't think that this decision is even close to being made by the ACC. If they were sure that UConn was the choice then the call would have been made already.

The ACC's concern with academics only comes into play here because of the fact that Louisville is ranked something like #160-70 by US News. The ACC lovely to throw around the fact that basically all of their schools are in the top 100 and that a bunch of them are in the top 50 (UConn is just outside of the top 50).

UConn would be the choice if the ACC wants to keep the profiles of their schools consistent. If the ACC sees that they need to change course to try and save their conference then I don't think UConn gets picked.

Reaction Score
Well the APR penalty certainly doesn't help but I don't think it would be the reason for the ACC to go with Louisville over UConn. That being said I don't think that this decision is even close to being made by the ACC. If they were sure that UConn was the choice then the call would have been made already.

The ACC's concern with academics only comes into play here because of the fact that Louisville is ranked something like #160-70 by US News. The ACC lovely to throw around the fact that basically all of their schools are in the top 100 and that a bunch of them are in the top 50 (UConn is just outside of the top 50).

UConn would be the choice if the ACC wants to keep the profiles of their schools consistent. If the ACC sees that they need to change course to try and save their conference then I don't think UConn gets picked.

So, they'd go with a smaller market in the middle of the country instead?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whether Notre Dame does or doesn't, the ACC has to try.

I used to say the same thing about Kate Upton. At least until the court order.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I never said the BE would be better in basketball, I was referring to football. I just think a move to the ACC (if it were to occur) is temporarily plugging a leak. The answer isnt the ACC, there are already rumors circulating that if the B1G wants to expand again, it would most likely look towards UNC, Georgia Tech, and/or Kansas. And that the Big 12 would obviously have to respond with only being at 10 teams. Who would they be targeting? Possibly Clemson, Florida State, and Va Tech. The answer isn't the ACC, is UCONN wants to survive in a major FBS conference it needs to start lobbying elsewhere. When this is all said and done I believe that there will be the PAc-12, B1G, Big 12, SEC, and some crap shoot that is comprised of former BE and ACC schools.
Like where? Big10? SEC? Pac12? Big12? Aint nowhere else for us to go but the ACC in my humble opinion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your humble opinion is 100% accurate - we gots one lifeboat.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

In principle you may be correct about additional defections from the ACC, but soon you have to ask yourself "Where do they defect to?"

Once each of the "Super Conferences" get to the magic number of 14, every acquisition will require that someone else get cut. And I am still a bit unclear as to the mechanism by which that might be accomplished.

Reaction Score
The Magic Number for the super conferences is going to be 16 and there will be four of them, not including the ACC. At the Rutgers' press conference today Delaney wasn't nearly as certain as he has been in the past that the B1G was dome expanding.

The move to the ACC (if they even go) while seemingly good in the short term will just leave the UCONN in the same position it is in now. The ACC will be raided by the B1G, SEC, Big-12 and they'll be forced to align with what is left of the BE.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The Magic Number for the super conferences is going to be 16 and there will be four of them, not including the ACC. At the Rutgers' press conference today Delaney wasn't nearly as certain as he has been in the past that the B1G was dome expanding.

The move to the ACC (if they even go) while seemingly good in the short term will just leave the UCONN in the same position it is in now. The ACC will be raided by the B1G, SEC, Big-12 and they'll be forced to align with what is left of the BE.
And not going leaves us in the steaming pile of Gorilla s hit that is the NBE. At least in the ACC we have a connection to some old rivalries and a sense of possible hope for the future. If we stay put we are cked

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In principle you may be correct about additional defections from the ACC, but soon you have to ask yourself "Where do they defect to?"

Once each of the "Super Conferences" get to the magic number of 14, every acquisition will require that someone else get cut. And I am still a bit unclear as to the mechanism by which that might be accomplished.

I don't see the defections coming. In the old BCS-AQ system, a team like FSU could be disadvantaged on strength of schedule (unless BC and others bring their programs back up). But in the new system, the ACC champ has an automatic slot in the six bowl "playoff" and only has to be in the top four for a shot at a title. How often does an FSU or a Clemson get to the playoff in the Big XII vs. the ACC?

Reaction Score
I don't see the defections coming. In the old BCS-AQ system, a team like FSU could be disadvantaged on strength of schedule (unless BC and others bring their programs back up). But in the new system, the ACC champ has an automatic slot in the six bowl "playoff" and only has to be in the top four for a shot at a title. How often does an FSU or a Clemson get to the playoff in the Big XII vs. the ACC?

It's not about getting the bowl bid for these schools. Where have you been? You should know this first hand after the debacle we incurred with the Fiesta Bowl and unsold tickets.

It's the money recouped from the TV deals and going to the SEC/Big XII is going to make a Florida State/Clemson amore money than the ACC.

Reaction Score
Your humble opinion is 100% accurate - we gots one lifeboat.
I hope there's room in that lifeboat for us. My fear is we'll be left standing on the deck as the ship goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom