The ACC Kiss of Death.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The ACC Kiss of Death....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
ACC is a geographically weak conference. They have four schools jammed into North Carolina and the Florida schools only have fans in the cities that they are located. Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and BC are all outliers with no natural rivalries and fans only in the cities where they are located,. If Big Ten picks up NC and Duke, its cuts the heart and soul out of this conference of carpetbaggers.

Here's my thing, as long as the hoops tourney doesn't split, I don't care what distinction football is as long as we get to play teams that matter to us as fans.

ACC "Doomsday" FSU, Clemson, UNC, VT leave.

It's still the best hoop league.

It still has all our rivals aside from Rutgers football and West Virginia (who in this event I guarantee would be invited to the ACC and accept).

Who cares if we're locked out of the CFP? If we're competing in the say 5th best league for division titles with teams that we care about, who cares?

75% of the B1G literally do nothing for me, even though B1G is more 'stable'.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
When we were in the Big East we had those Big Monday games on ESPN that top players from all over the US saw. That's what the ACC still has and we don't. Jim Calhoun used to sell UCONN before we were good because we played Syracuse and Georgetown and players wanted to go up against the best. Bad teams in the ACC can now sell Duke, NC, Virginia, Louisville to get players. We are selling SMU. Please give us the kiss.

I would imagine our pitch has changed. I doubt we are selling our opponents, but you can sure as hell bet they're selling us.

Our pitches are as follows, in order:

1. Look at our famous, mostly NBA, names on our Huskies of Honor wall. You can be there, too, with a little help from Coach Ollie and his great NBA connections.

2. See those four banners hanging from the ceiling? We win here.

3. Check out our new practice facility. It's state of the art and one of the finest in the country.

4. You will get a first class education, so if for some reason you get hurt or things don't quite work out, your degree will get you where you want to go.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I would imagine our pitch has changed. I doubt we are selling our opponents, but you can sure as hell bet they're selling us.

Our pitches are as follows, in order:

1. Look at our famous, mostly NBA, names on our Huskies of Honor wall. You can be there, too, with a little help from Coach Ollie and his great NBA connections.

2. See those four banners hanging from the ceiling? We win here.

3. Check out our new practice facility. It's state of the art and one of the finest in the country.

4. You will get a first class education, so if for some reason you get hurt or things don't quite work out, your degree will get you where you want to go.
And then Dave Rice walks in, slips an envelope into the recruits pocket, whispers something in his ear about Ollie going to the NBA and AAC, and walks out the door with the recruit chasing after him with an LOI.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
And then Dave Rice walks in, slips an envelope into the recruits pocket, whispers something in his ear about Ollie going to the NBA and AAC, and walks out the door with the recruit chasing after him with an LOI.

Sounds more like John Calipari.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here's my thing, as long as the hoops tourney doesn't split, I don't care what distinction football is as long as we get to play teams that matter to us as fans.

ACC "Doomsday" FSU, Clemson, UNC, VT leave.

It's still the best hoop league.

It still has all our rivals aside from Rutgers football and West Virginia (who in this event I guarantee would be invited to the ACC and accept).

Who cares if we're locked out of the CFP? If we're competing in the say 5th best league for division titles with teams that we care about, who cares?

75% of the B1G literally do nothing for me, even though B1G is more 'stable'.
Still depends on revenue generation from your proposal. It ultimately comes down to $$ like it or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Still depends on revenue generation from your proposal. It ultimately comes down to $$ like it or not.

If our direct local competition is pulling in the same tv revenue as us, Rutgers aside, then does it really matter from a competitive landscape?

Costs have gone up certainly, but we did just fine on peanuts in the Big East for awhile. This proposed league would wall somewhere between the ACC and AAC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If our direct local competition is pulling in the same tv revenue as us, Rutgers aside, then does it really matter from a competitive landscape?

Costs have gone up certainly, but we did just fine on peanuts in the Big East for awhile. This proposed league would wall somewhere between the ACC and AAC.
I'm not saying it happens but the recent issuing of monies for athletes by the P5, which the AAC has agreed to provide, can escalate. There will be a lot of conferences unable to match this causing the pool of potential good athletes to be funneled to fewer and fewer schools. Just one of the many problems with the system.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Every time someone points out the ACC's problems doesn't mean we need 50 rebuttal posts of "I wish we were in the ACC". Just take the original post at face value. That said, I don't know if I agree with the OP.

I agree that Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse are perennial Top 15 programs, and only Louisville is up there this year. Notre Dame would have a Top 15 team every 5 years or so, and that trend appears to be continuing. That said, of the 7 likely ACC tournament teams, Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame are all recent Big East teams, and the bottom 7 teams in the league are all 10+ year ACC members. I think Louisville, Syracuse and Notre Dame will be fine long term. I think Pitt will decline as a program without better access to NYC talent. I think Dixon is an absolute wizard to get his team in position for a tournament bid because I think the team sucks. If Dixon is smart, he will find another job this offseason.

Virginia Tech and Boston College will suck no matter what league they are in. I believe those two, plus Miami, used to cost the Big East a tournament bid a year because of the damage they would do to the conference RPI. Nothing changed when they moved into the ACC, and I don't think it is a problem of coaching because those 3 have had some decent coaches over the years. They just suck in basketball and will always suck.

In football, it is hard to argue that the ACC has been bad for Virginia Tech or Boston College. Both programs were middle of the pack or worse in the Big East other than when Michael Vick was in Blacksburg. Both have had a great run in the ACC. Louisville and Pitt look fine in the ACC for football, and Syracuse was not exactly lighting it up in the Big East the last 10 years anyway. The ACC got exactly what it should have expected to get with that program.

Reaction Score
In hoops, things can spiral out of control quickly for Syracuse, depending on further punishment. I am not convinced that Hopkins can coach.

Reaction Score
Sorry but how is miami lagging behind ucf???miami has better everything

Unfortunately they have Al Golden, who will be a .500 coach for the rest of his life. Until that is resolved, they won't prosper on the field.

Reaction Score
Don't see the point of OP, we would kill to be in the ACC right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom