The Absolute Worst Part.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Absolute Worst Part....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ollie is awful. How much evidence are you going to need to admit that? 2 more years of underperformance? 5? Keep in mind, however long it is, it's going to take the next guy at least 3 years to unwind it. I can't guarantee the next coach is going to be the savior, but you also can't guarantee me that KI is the guy. And the only difference between our arguments is that we know that RIGHT NOW, KO ain't gettin it done.not even close

I've been saying since the end of last year, he should go if he doesn't make the tournament this year. I don't think he should be kept if this continues.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

No, people have been making up that I'm saying that because they suck.

I've been adamant that he should go if he doesn't make the tourney. I'm not at all saying he shouldn't be fired -- merely pointing out that his failure means UConn may be in for a line of disappointing, underachieving coaches.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean I think everyone's kind of spectacularly over the top in a lot of different directions.

-Ollie isn't a disaster, but he hasn't been good. He deserves to finish the season. But no tournament = not coming back. No way around that
-I think we'll get a lot of really good candidates for the job. I think we'll get a really, really good coach. And I don't think the turnaround will take as long as people think it will but the beginnings of it could be pretty brutal - even compared to now.
-Time isn't up on UConn getting into a Big East or ACC, but it's ticking faster because of this - the AD clearly need to hit on this coach. There's zero margin for error.
-No reason to not try to load up the out of conference schedule as much as humanly possible and dump a lot of the cupcake games to help with attendance. Especially if you're rebuilding, you're only benefitting by the Arizona's, Dukes and Kentucky's of the world coming in and pushing your stuff in. If you're not winning anyway, give them big competition, give the fans some big games to go to

I think ultimately - we'll be OK.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

There's bad stuff behind the scenes. It's been a messed-up locker room for a coupe of years now.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
-I think we'll get a lot of really good candidates for the job. I think we'll get a really, really good coach. And I don't think the turnaround will take as long as people think it will but the beginnings of it could be pretty brutal - even compared to now.

What exactly is it that's making you so confident? Genuine question.

Reaction Score
By far the most disappointing part of this after speaking to a few people on the way out, it’s just now expected...

We fought hard. Tried our best.

Lost to an unranked, young Syracuse team. It’s the norm these days...

Columbia takes uconn to overtime... back to back losses at HOME to Wagner and Northeastern last year. Monmouth takes us to overtime...

We

Are

UConn

Basketball

Conspiracy theory time, I think the people that want to ride this out with Ollie are generally in their 50s-60s, if not older, and genuinely want to go back to the Perno era in the hope that enough people walk away to where UConn basketball becomes their little secret niche thing again.

There's really no other reason why anyone would continue to defend Ollie at this point. Not sure how many times we need to see this same non competitive, scatterbrained, poorly coached movie before people get sick of it. And that's before the 3+ transfers/declare+sign that we all know are coming.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster's position appears to be that we can no longer hope for anything better than ineptitude at all levels of the program.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Conspiracy theory time, I think the people that want to ride this out with Ollie are generally in their 50s-60s, if not older, and genuinely want to go back to the Perno era in the hope that enough people walk away to where UConn basketball becomes their little secret niche thing again.

There's really no other reason why anyone would continue to defend Ollie at this point. Not sure how many times we need to see this same non competitive, scatterbrained, poorly coached movie before people get sick of it. And that's before the 3+ transfers/declare+sign that we all know are coming.

Sorry you missed it. It was fun.

Reaction Score
If we had one player that could consistently make a jumpshot, this would be a different team
I know this sounds like a bad excuse, but I think Gilbert's injury is making a big difference to this team. KO gambled with Gilbert and his shoulder injuries and it looks like he lost. No doubt in my mind, a healthy Gilbert would make us a better team.

Reaction Score
I know this sounds like a bad excuse, but I think Gilbert's injury is making a big difference to this team. KO gambled with Gilbert and his shoulder injuries and it looks like he lost. No doubt in my mind, a healthy Gilbert would make us a better team.
KO should stay away from Vegas or Foxwoods then because he’s obviously a poor gambler. He gambled on Durham, gambled on DHam returning, gambled on Hamidou Diallo coming here and gambled again now on Gilbert, all with poor results. You can’t run a successful program gambling this much and not having proper contingency plans.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Gilbert back for Saturdays Coppin State game.

Lets call it the Arbys strategy.

You're welcome.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Clearly this person has no clue. Enough people have already walked away to make Gampel crowds smaller than Field House crowds. And nobody seems too happy about that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree with @Stairmaster that UConn is likely never going to achieve the same sustained success as they had under Calhoun. That's not a shot at the program, but more simply recognizing they call people all time greats, because they are extremely rare.

I've been extremely disappointed with Ollie the past three seasons as I think he's been exposed on a lot of different levels. Like Stair, I think if we fail to make the NCAAs it would be appropriate to fire him (buyout may prohibit that though).

We may or may not get a better person for the program than KO, but given what we've seen since Napier left, I don't think it's unreasonable to go that route.

What I think people are missing in all of this is that there's a good chance we bring in a guy and they flame out. UConn is still a good job, but due to our league it's no longer a very good job. If we pay a good salary I think we'll be able to bring somebody in that can do a good job, but what's even a good job to the majority of our fans standards?

Gun to my head, I don't think the majority of our fanbase could deal with being a Cincinnati, Xavier, Temple, type program that's consistently in the Tournament, but only on rare occasions makes runs to the 2nd weekend.

If you're asking me are we more likely to fall into that group or stay with the Michigan States, Floridas or Arizonas of the world, I don't think I like the answer.

Reaction Score
I agree with @Stairmaster that UConn is likely never going to achieve the same sustained success as they had under Calhoun. That's not a shot at the program, but more simply recognizing they call people all time greats, because they are extremely rare.

I've been extremely disappointed with Ollie the past three seasons as I think he's been exposed on a lot of different levels. Like Stair, I think if we fail to make the NCAAs it would be appropriate to fire him (buyout may prohibit that though).

We may or may not get a better person for the program than KO, but given what we've seen since Napier left, I don't think it's unreasonable to go that route.

What I think people are missing in all of this is that there's a good chance we bring in a guy and they flame out. UConn is still a good job, but due to our league it's no longer a very good job. If we pay a good salary I think we'll be able to bring somebody in that can do a good job, but what's even a good job to the majority of our fans standards?

Gun to my head, I don't think the majority of our fanbase could deal with being a Cincinnati, Xavier, Temple, type program that's consistently in the Tournament, but only on rare occasions makes runs to the 2nd weekend.

If you're asking me are we more likely to fall into that group or stay with the Michigan States, Floridas or Arizonas of the world, I don't think I like the answer.

At this point, I'd be ecstatic if we were Xavier.

I've never felt so depressed making a post here...

Reaction Score
No, people have been making up that I'm saying that because they suck.

I've been adamant that he should go if he doesn't make the tourney. I'm not at all saying he shouldn't be fired -- merely pointing out that his failure means UConn may be in for a line of disappointing, underachieving coaches.
Great. And they also may turn the program around and be fantastic. What’s the point of bringing that up? We always know there’s no guarantee that the next change will be positive but you don’t just sit there and do nothing because of that possibility, you move forward and you try something different and if that doesn’t work you continue trying. And I can almost predict your response which is that when we start doing better we won’t be good enough for others. Which I will reply, of course they’ll always be people that will want more, but in the world of sports or anything else, you can’t satisfy 100% of the people we just need to “satisfy” the majority by making the tournament maybe once every two years and having a chance.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Man yeah maybe we won't ever reach the heights that we had under JC but if we can get a new coach like Hurley in next year maybe we can at least finish in the top 3 of our own conference and make the tourney most years.
Stop saying Hurley.. he wouldn’t stay here long term.. no Dukies here!

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Gilbert back for Saturdays Coppin State game.

Lets call it the Arbys strategy.

You're welcome.
He will just keep getting injured. That kind of injury will happen over and over throughout his career. Anyone in the sports medicine field knows it. That is an ugly injury and is prone to reinjure at some point, not an if but a when. Good kid, but unfortunate type of injury to have.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He will just keep getting injured. That kind of injury will happen over and over throughout his career. Anyone in the sports medicine field knows it. That is an ugly injury and is prone to reinjure at some point, not an if but a when. Good kid, but unfortunate type of injury to have.

Horrible, feel terrible for him and us

Reaction Score
I am being driven insane by the number of people who know with absolute certainty that we will get a good coach. No, you have absolutely no way of knowing that. There are posters here talking up coaches who have no proven track record of success at higher levels than the MAAC, Big South, and Horizon League. A change may have to be made, but man are you folks in for a rude awakening when even the scenario you described becomes tough.
What the HELL does that have to do with accepting that UConn is going to be a second tier program in the future ? Not a damn thing that I can see.

Either you strive for that or you don't, but you seem to think Ollie is "good enough" to steward a second tier UConn program into the future where the goal is to get to the sweet sixteen every five years or so, IF that.

Seriously - FARM THAT. You strive for excellence, and even YOU apparently have concluded that Kevin Ollie is not going to get UConn there. So you stop pretending and you make a change and look for a guy that CAN. Even if they only stay a while and move on to some blue chip top 5 program, at least you raised the near-term profile of UConn back to where it was for TWENTY YEARS. At that point you can start attracting more recruits and a better coach. You keep building on what you have and where you came from. Right now UConn is not doing that. They're spinning their wheels in NCAA basketball purgatory.

Reaction Score
Stop saying Hurley.. he wouldn’t stay here long term.. no Dukies here!

The worst part is that we have fans that

A) Don’t know what Hurley is being discussed

B) Don’t know where the Hurley being discussed went to school

I’d be real surprised if any here are talking about Bobby Hurley - it’s Danny that people are talking about and he went to Seton Hall, not Duke.

If anyone is talking about Bobby Hurley they need their head examined.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom