The “Other Player” wins again | The Boneyard

The “Other Player” wins again

Reaction Score
I know the effort to keep this board UConn related but I think every UConn fan can find joy knowing that Muffet will undoubtably be upset knowing Arike isn’t ACC player of the year, again! :p
62989561-B610-49EC-8868-CAFE31AFEA58.jpeg

Reaction Score
Arike was named the ACC female athlete of the year after the season concluded. I'm sure she wouldn't mind taking that one again

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know the effort to keep this board UConn related but I think every UConn fan can find joy knowing that Muffet will undoubtably be upset knowing Arike isn’t ACC player of the year, again! :p View attachment 40596
Is it cruel to take pleasure in the fact that Arike is not even the most well respected player in her own conference? If it is, I am guilty. Curiously I feel no remorse. Perhaps I will be overcome later. I still recall her antics during her loss to UConn this year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I know the effort to keep this board UConn related but I think every UConn fan can find joy knowing that Muffet will undoubtably be upset knowing Arike isn’t ACC player of the year, again! :p View attachment 40596
I would venture to say that the other coaches in the league saw how she played, not only against UConn, but some of the teams in the ACC and decided that she was not close to being POY because of her demeanor.

Reaction Score
Is it cruel to take pleasure in the fact that Arike is not even the most well respected player in her own conference? If it is, I am guilty. Curiously I feel no remorse. Perhaps I will be overcome later. I still recall her antics during her loss to UConn this year.
Guilt was inborn and trained daily in School. So feel remorse and slyly giggle to yourself of course that Arike didn't get it.
I was asking my self--Me, I, Myself, are you soooo biased against Arike's unsporstman's like actions that --I, me, myself won't think of the quality of her game, her scoring? I don't know the truth--I can't handle the truth. I was educated by nones.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Against Louisville, there was the incident with Carter which the officials reviewed during the game and did not call a foul on Arike.

I'd love to know what else she did against "some of the the teams in the ACC"
If I remember correctly in both of ND ACC losses she had some questionable play, especially the Miami game. When she is near the basket she almost always tries to undercut the opposing player and rarely gets called on it. She will get called on those types of plays in the WNBA and FIBA.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
And just maybe they really liked Asia Durr.

All of ND's starters got All-ACC recognition - Ogunbowale and Shepard 1st team (media and coaches), Young 2nd team (both), Turner 2nd team (media), Mabrey 2nd team (Coaches). And Turner got DPOY.

So the perception is clearly that Ogunbowale has a much better supporting cast. And the scoring numbers corroborate that.

Turner is ND's lowest-scoring starter at 13.9 ppg. Louisville's 2nd leading scorer is Dana Evans at 10.5 ppg.

Yet, ND and Louisville finished as co-champions. So yeah, I probably would vote for Durr, too.

The fact that ND stumbled badly against UNC without Jackie Young probably didn't help her candidacy either.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly in both of ND ACC losses she had some questionable play, especially the Miami game. When she is near the basket she almost always tries to undercut the opposing player and rarely gets called on it. She will get called on those types of plays in the WNBA and FIBA.

Fair enough, I didn't see the Miami game (was out when it happened and didn't have any desire to watch a replay). Don't remember anything against UNC.

Reaction Score
ESPN will make up for it by showing Arike's buzzer beaters non-stop for the next five weeks. We're gonna see those clips so many times you'll think she plays in the NBA.
Every time I saw that I cringed. It was an amazingly well timed shot. One tenth of a second either way decided whether Uconn or ND would be the 2018 NC.
It is one of the greatest promo's for Women's College Basketball ever made. Let them run it until the end of this April. The Giant Killers are supposed celebrate. Would the celebration or the repetition be as often Had ND beaten the current ODU? NO! That is how great Uconn is respected.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The only good thing about watching the Arike shot over and over is that we no longer have to watch Morgan William. :)

Arike is a very good and dynamic player. But her attitude and occasional poor sportsmanship didn’t help her in what could have been a close vote.

Reaction Score

I would prefer that she gets called on it NOW rather than in the WNBA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In other surprising news, Carleton of Iowa St. won Big 12 POY over Brown.
Yeah that's been brewing for a while. Fennelly has been lobbying hard for Carleton as conference POY. No doubt her stats are better than Brown's. Mulkey countered with the fact that Brown is often facing triple teams. Well, maybe she can take solace in her conference COY award :)

Reaction Score
Yeah that's been brewing for a while. Fennelly has been lobbying hard for Carleton as conference POY. No doubt her stats are better than Brown's. Mulkey countered with the fact that Brown is often facing triple teams. Well, maybe she can take solace in her conference COY award :)
I thought Carleton was the best player on the floor both games against Baylor even though they lost both. I was even at the 2nd meeting, so I have no issue with this.

Reaction Score
As well she should. She has been outstanding this year for Iowa State and they have relied heavily on her and her alone most of the time. Brown has not been consistent and has had a lot more help. If anything, I would say Cox deserved to win the award before Brown, but I'm even happier it went to Carleton. She deserves recognition for her contributions to Iowa State.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hmm. In the few Baylor games that I watched, I didn't think that Brown was the best player on the Lady Bears team. Lauren Cox was.
But like I said, I have only seen a half dozen or so of their non-UConn games.

Edit: @southofnorth I posted my opinion on Baylor prior to seeing your post, otherwise I would have quoted yours.

Reaction Score
Hmm. In the few Baylor games that I watched, I didn't think that Brown was the best player on the Lady Bears team. Lauren Cox was.
But like I said, I have only seen a half dozen or so of their non-UConn games.
A lot of Baylor fans share this view. It could also be argued that the attention that Brown receives from defenses allows Cox to truly thrive. Personally, I think they complement each other to a degree that it is hard to separate the contributions of one from the other. We may find out next year, when Cox is presumably the one who will be double teamed constantly.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Arike was named the ACC female athlete of the year after the season concluded. I'm sure she wouldn't mind taking that one again
Due to her antics I am willing to be my house, she will NOT be winning the ACC female athlete of the year nor will there be a repeat performance on DWTS...now the WWE may call...:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom