OT: - That's two hours of my life I will never get back... | The Boneyard

OT: That's two hours of my life I will never get back...

Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched the movie ""The Little Things" on HBO MAX. It is also playing in theaters. I am not one to rely on reviews but do try to look at trailers. This movie appeared to strike my fancy because it is a crime thriller about the good guys trying to catch a serial killer. WARNING SPOILER ALERT: the ending was totally unexpected and not in a good way!!! I just sat there with my mouth wide open, wondering if that was the really the ending!!!
And I am so glad that I didn't go to a theater and pay admission just to be disappointed.
(BTW this is an exaggeration because the last movie that I saw in a theater was "The Hunt For Red October".)

Have any others felt this way after watching a movie (or TV show)?

Reaction Score
Yes, for the movie 1917. It was much hyped as one of the best movies ever made.
It was a WWI movie about two soldiers who were assigned a mission to let a Colonel know that his attack was a trap.
So, they had to trudge across enemy lines and find this division. It was pretty much a copy of Saving Private Ryan.
But the stupid thing was, why didn't they just fly a plane to this division and drop a message?
What a waste.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For me it wasn't a movie or a single TV show but was the "Dexter" series finale. I just started shaking my head, saying WTF just happened.
Hopefully the revival will explain some things but it is probably a long shot that they do.

Reaction Score
Yes, for the movie 1917. It was much hyped as one of the best movies ever made.
It was a WWI movie about two soldiers who were assigned a mission to let a Colonel know that his attack was a trap.
So, they had to trudge across enemy lines and find this division. It was pretty much a copy of Saving Private Ryan.
But the stupid thing was, why didn't they just fly a plane to this division and drop a message?
What a waste.
Reminds me of a cute story with my younger brother was in high school and in the Big Brother program. His charge, named Sage, had just finished The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and wanted to talk to someone about it. Knowing I had read it, my brother asked the next time I visited my parents would I meet with Sage and him? I agreed and a month or so later we went to lunch. The first thing Sage asks me is instead of Frodo going through all he went through to finally get the ring destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, why didn’t they just give the ring to The Eagles and let one fly over the volcano and drop it in. All I could think to answer was then the story would have been a couple of pages rather than 3 books and think of all the fun reading it he and I and others would have missed out on.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Reminds me of a cute story with my younger brother was in high school and in the Big Brother program. His charge, named Sage, had just finished The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and wanted to talk to someone about it. Knowing I had read it, my brother asked the next time I visited my parents would I meet with Sage and him? I agreed and a month or so later we went to lunch. The first thing Sage asks me is instead of Frodo going through all he went through to finally get the ring destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom, why didn’t they just give the ring to The Eagles and let one fly over the volcano and drop it in. All I could think to answer was then the story would have been a couple of pages rather than 3 books and think of all the fun reading it he and I and others would have missed out on.
Ever seen the long running "Pitch Meeting" series on You Tube? It's one guy playing 2 characters, Writer Guy and Producer Guy. Pokes fun at all the plot holes in various movies. Exactly this kind of stuff. Writer Guy often answers questions w/ "because" or "that needed to happen so we could have a movie."

Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched the movie ""The Little Things" on HBO MAX. It is also playing in theaters. I am not one to rely on reviews but do try to look at trailers. This movie appeared to strike my fancy because it is a crime thriller about the good guys trying to catch a serial killer. WARNING SPOILER ALERT: the ending was totally unexpected and not in a good way!!! I just sat there with my mouth wide open, wondering if that was the really the ending!!!
And I am so glad that I didn't go to a theater and pay admission just to be disappointed.
(BTW this is an exaggeration because the last movie that I saw in a theater was "The Hunt For Red October".)

Have any others felt this way after watching a movie (or TV show)?

As brilliant as The Sopranos was, the "open for interpretation" cliff hanger ending was absolutely terrible!

Reaction Score
Ever seen the long running "Pitch Meeting" series on You Tube? It's one guy playing 2 characters, Writer Guy and Producer Guy. Pokes fun at all the plot holes in various movies. Exactly this kind of stuff. Writer Guy often answers questions w/ "because" or "that needed to happen so we could have a movie."
Never saw it but I will check it out, thanks.

Reaction Score
I also saw the movie, "The Little Things." I thought that it had a good ending. Especially the part when the young officer opened the envelope and saw the red berret. That, was the Little Thing, that older Detective remembered in order to soothe the conscience of the younger detective. I also like crime thrillers and this one was not great, but it was ok. I would not care to see it again. My favorite movie is: Casablanca. Here's looking at you kid.

Reaction Score
For me it wasn't a movie or a single TV show but was the "Dexter" series finale. I just started shaking my head, saying just happened.
Hopefully the revival will explain some things but it is probably a long shot that they do.
Just about every "hyped" finale I've ever watched was disappointing: Seinfeld; Mad Men; Mash ...

Reaction Score
Ever read a book that drew you in so completely reality became suspended and you were living the book plot? Happened to me the summer after high school. Something I had to do (can't remember what) was bugging me and I had this conversation with myself.

Me: Just go do it already.
Myself: What for? The world's going to end in 3 days anyway.

The book: On the Beach.

Reaction Score
Ever read a book that drew you in so completely reality became suspended and you were living the book plot? Happened to me the summer after high school. Something I had to do (can't remember what) was bugging me and I had this conversation with myself.

I also liked "On the Beach". I believe I read it in HS, so I got a feeling for how "seasoned" you are :)

My kids used to watch "Ending Ending Story". It lived up to it's title.

Reaction Score

I have, for me it is Watership Down by Richard Adams. Funny my mention here of two books, both fictional fantasy, and I am not an avid fan of the genre although I will read most anything. Fictionally, big Michael Connelly fan, especially the Bosch books. Avid history reader also, especially WW2.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two solid movies on Netflix now are "The Dig" and "Rebecca".

Reaction Score
Gotta see The Queen’s Gambit limited series on Netflix. It’s utterly gripping.
Maybe we can swerve this thread to include movies or tv (including streaming) that totally exceeded expectations????
Off the top of my head I am going to say "iZombie". I never was interested in it when it was on The CW network but binge watched it on Netflix. I was quickly addicted to it. The same thing with "Longmire".

Reaction Score
But Newhart had a great ending final episode.
Are you referring to the show where he was an innkeeper in Vermont? Brother Darryl and the other brother Darryl? The one where Suzanne Pleshette from the original Newhart show ends up in Bob's bed? His second series was all a dream. That one?

Reaction Score
Ab
I also liked "On the Beach". I believe I read it in HS, so I got a feeling for how "seasoned" you are :)

My kids used to watch "Ending Ending Story". It lived up to it's title.
About now I figure I'm all seasoning...no entrée.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For me, a few thoughts on other shows...

Lost was just a mess. Loved season one, eagerly awaited season 2, and enjoyed it for a proverbial 5 minutes where it went down the rabbit hole of fantasy dreamland and weird whacky plot lines. Then to have the series finale pretty much wipe everything out saying it was all a dream, or purgatory, or something like that - good grief - what a mess.

On the other hand, True Blood - one of my favorite all time series. Violent, and like Game of Thrones, capable of killing practically anyone off at a moment's notice. But in the end, Sookie staking Vampire Bill - didn't see that coming, and while I was super glad they fast forwarded (to see what the future held for the main characters), it was sort of anticlimactic seeing Sookie married in the future since it was a character we'd never seen before, and so we had no emotional investment in him. But bottom line happily every after for her regardless.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For me, a few thoughts on other shows...

Lost was just a mess. Loved season one, eagerly awaited season 2, and enjoyed it for a proverbial 5 minutes where it went down the rabbit hole of fantasy dreamland and weird whacky plot lines. Then to have the series finale pretty much wipe everything out saying it was all a dream, or purgatory, or something like that - good grief - what a mess.

On the other hand, True Blood - one of my favorite all time series. Violent, and like Game of Thrones, capable of killing practically anyone off at a moment's notice. But in the end, Sookie staking Vampire Bill - didn't see that coming, and while I was super glad they fast forwarded (to see what the future held for the main characters), it was sort of anticlimactic seeing Sookie married in the future since it was a character we'd never seen before, and so we had no emotional investment in him. But bottom line happily every after for her regardless.
I'm guessing that you have seen where HBO is going to do a reboot of True Blood and current plans are for it to be an entirely new show with no casting ties to the original.

Reaction Score
Just about every "hyped" finale I've ever watched was disappointing: Seinfeld; Mad Men; Mash ...
Hey EricLA, used to be EricSanDiego, thanks for the like. The only reason I'm replying to myself is because I was at a conference in San Diego when I saw the finale of Mash. The conference put a bunch of TVs in the main room, popped a truckload of popcorn, and we all watched in jammies (well, sweats anyway, which is the same thing to me). Speaking of jammies, anybody else can't get enough of that "Hey Hamlin, like your PJs" commercial"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom