That's on Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

That's on Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ollie needs to coach his players better, run a more fluid offense, not leave his starting pg on the bench the whole second half, teach brimah and Nolan how to do anything, work the officials, when to sub in and out certain players. Basically everything. It's on him

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The players don't make 3 million dollars. I blame the man who collects the paycheck who is responsible for how the team plays. Players don't have a win loss record, the coach does. KO has tons of potential, but he has so much to learn, but I still believe.

Reaction Score
Calhoun would have sensed the game going the other way and called a timeout so he could regroup the troops and... ring in the officials(which he never gets as much credit as he deserves for doing) and stop any Temple momentum before it ever started. That's the difference between Hall of Famers and guys still earning their wings.

Everyone conveniently seems to forget the entire 2012 season.

Reaction Score
I think he adjusts but the players are incapable of executing. You think in the last two minutes he wrote up a play for Gibbs to over dribble, run down the clock and then get a shot clock violation when he had no where to go? Or maybe he planned to in bound the call to purvis and have him double dribble. How about dham getting the pass in the post and turning it over. That is called poor execution. These are or best players too. There isn't anyone else to go to!

Of course he didn't call for those plays. I see things much differently than you.

What he did call for I'm sure is for Gibbs to have the ball and run the "so-called" play. My issue is that Gibbs has proven time and time again that he is not a good 1 v 1 attacker and has struggled in these late game situations before.

I see this as a poor decision by Ollie to have Gibbs as the facilitator. How many times has Gibbs gotten stuck and thrown up a terrible shot. He needs to play off the ball in these situations.

Reaction Score
id love to know why he thought it was a good idea to leave Jalen on the bench the ENTIRE second half and then bring him in with 2 minutes left

It's completely senseless. There is no explanation that makes sense. I feel like KO panicked and was looking for a way to change things up, but I just don't see how he expected it to work after Jalen sat the whole way.

Reaction Score
My gosh, how is KO supposed to coach a bunch of weak minded guards. And a big who starts the game with 2 fouls. Geez, "Hey Brimah let me shoe you how to move tour feet and stop jumping at every flinch, please keep your arms in"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Calhoun would have sensed the game going the other way and called a timeout so he could regroup the troops and... ring in the officials(which he never gets as much credit as he deserves for doing) and stop any Temple momentum before it ever started. That's the difference between Hall of Famers and guys still earning their wings.

KO called a TO after their big run with UConn still ahead by 2. He then had 1 left that he needed to save. Do you mean he should have called his 2nd to last TO earlier?
The players stopped doing everything they had been doing right all game. I don't think Temple made adjustments that Ollie needed to counter.

Reaction Score
Ollie needs to coach his players better, run a more fluid offense, not leave his starting pg on the bench the whole second half, teach brimah and Nolan how to do anything, work the officials, when to sub in and out certain players. Basically everything. It's on him

I guess he should have reminded them not to turnover the ball right?

Napier, Kemba or Boatright are not on the roster. Someone needs to step up and unfortunately Gibbs isn't living up to it.

Reaction Score
No it wasn't. Much it was on to go around.

How bout RP's 2 missed bunnies.
Brimahs missed handled missed dunk opportunity.
KO didn't suite up. He called many timeouts. This team is mentally weak. That's a fact! KO was emotionally invested in this game. I've got on him before. But he can't be responsible for that!
Agree, but he must sit and rip into players who are not mentally into the game. Don't see it enough from KO. A player will not play through or adjust mentally on their own. IMHO

Reaction Score
When UConn was up by 14 and was seemingly unstoppable on D Ollie needed to continue that momentum by calling a timeout when the officials started calling the game against the Huskies(the obvious foul on Gibbs under the basket that was never called). That's a in your gut feeling that Calhoun could sense and Ollie let slip. Once Ollie let the officials dictate the game Uconn was on their heels instead of dictating the terms of the game. They had the game won and Ollie let the refs change momentum.

Reaction Score
Of course he didn't call for those plays. I see things much differently than you.

What he did call for I'm sure is for Gibbs to have the ball and run the "so-called" play. My issue is that Gibbs has proven time and time again that he is not a good 1 v 1 attacker and has struggled in these late game situations before.

I see this as a poor decision by Ollie to have Gibbs as the facilitator. How many times has Gibbs gotten stuck and thrown up a terrible shot. He needs to play off the ball in these situations.

Leading up to that purvis play, who had made poor decisions and screwed us? Gibbs, dham, jalen, I mean what would you have done? Whose hands do you put the ball in? I was think Gibbs because for as bad as he can be he will at least get a shot up, Gibbs and ham had both just failed to do even that! Adams had also made his share of mistakes. .. who do you go with? Omar? Options are few and players have to execute. That didn't happen, I just can't blame ollie for that

Reaction Score
Agree, but he must sit and rip into players who are not mentally into the game. Don't see it enough from KO. A player will not play through or adjust mentally on their own. IMHO
So which is it? Sit Adams or not? He was lost in the first half. Inconsistent as a freshman will tend to be.

Reaction Score
Agree, but he must sit and rip into players who are not mentally into the game. Don't see it enough from KO.

Saw it tonight. First half Dham didn't close out on his man hits a 3. Quick TO and he rips Dham. I know KO hasn't shown emotion. But that wasn't the case tonight. I am far from his biggest fan. He sat on the bench the first half of this season and now that's hoe we see him.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
coaches supposedly do have an impact on close games, that hasn't been trending well for us

but I can't ride KO right now like I was a few weeks ago, I think this team is becoming very very good, but these mysteriously bad finishes are killing me

I I I i eh uhhhhhh, don't know what to think

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Then why were they killing Temple? Didn't Ollie have something to do with that? We had this won and the players changed what they were doing. Sure Ollie could have done something better. But you can't kill a coach who had you on the way to a 15-20 point win

Reaction Score
Leading up to that purvis play, who had made poor decisions and screwed us? Gibbs, dham, jalen, I mean what would you have done? Whose hands do you put the ball in? I was think Gibbs because for as bad as he can be he will at least get a shot up, Gibbs and ham had both just failed to do even that! Adams had also made his share of mistakes. .. who do you go with? Omar? Options are few and players have to execute. That didn't happen, I just can't blame ollie for that
I've been a big Ollie defender but it doesn't take John Wooden to see that our offense sucks when Gibbs is asked to create while Adams is glued to the bench. Or that Miller should get touches more regularly.

Reaction Score
Guys, you would execute better in your intramural game. This team is not smart and not tough. Physically or mentally. They got beat up/bullied the last 6 minutes.

Reaction Score
not on ollie, he didn.t miss 3 easy layups and a dunk, if they make those, temple would of folded like a cheap suit.

Reaction Score
Brimahs missed handled missed dunk opportunity.

The plays Brimah routinely fails to make -- catching the ball, securing a rebound, finishing a layup -- are among the most deflating and demoralizing you can have on a basketball court. I've said this for years, as someone who used to play. He is a momentum killer.

The rest of the team is too mentally weak to recover. If I ever have to see Daniel Hamilton's hang-dog look again, it will be too soon.

Reaction Score
I think he adjusts but the players are incapable of executing. You think in the last two minutes he wrote up a play for Gibbs to over dribble, run down the clock and then get a shot clock violation when he had no where to go? Or maybe he planned to in bound the call to purvis and have him double dribble. How about dham getting the pass in the post and turning it over. That is called poor execution. These are or best players too. There isn't anyone else to go to!
AMEN

Reaction Score
I've been a big Ollie defender but it doesn't take John Wooden to see that our offense sucks when Gibbs is asked to create while Adams is glued to the bench. Or that Miller should get touches more regularly.

Oh I can agree with Adams over Gibbs, not sure why ollie hasn't given up on gibbs other than the fact that he recruited him to come in and take a lead role, I'm thinking is ollie wanting to honor his intentions to the 5th year senior. Adams certainly isn't without flaws, but he's light years more talented than gibbs.

Reaction Score
So which is it? Sit Adams or not? He was lost in the first half. Inconsistent as a freshman will tend to be.
Well, was the issue with Adams a mental one or is he making wrong decisions on screens, etc. You teach your team that attention to detail matters. That almost always requires being mentally into the game. I see way too many players make mental mistakes, often on simple plays. KO needs to fix that somehow. That is one of his jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom