That was one of my favorite non-NC games in a very long time | The Boneyard

That was one of my favorite non-NC games in a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
An epic beatdown in every way. And UCONN just played terrific basketball in every aspect. A few observations...

Stewie was masterful. Her first half was spectacular. She played inspired hoops the entire game.

Moriah Jefferson is simply the best PG in the entire nation and it's not even close. She had a couple hiccups in the first half that Doris correctly pointed out, but she does whatever is needed and scores when left open.

Nurse had an interesting game. I thought Geno putting in Stokes for her in the first half was brilliant. Nurse was not contributing much at all (no points, no assists, no steals, etc) and she sure responded in the 2nd half.

Tuck was just so solid. one of her 3 point shots missed everything in the first half so she just made one later

KML's shot was a bit off but she was still solid.

And that brings me to Stokes. She was the game changer in the first half. When UCONN was only up by 7 she came in and blocked shots, altered things on defense, and was ... a game changer. Just a fantastic game by her.

Texas is a really good team. They have some really good players and a bright future. And UCONN rolled over them by 50+. People - this is the #2 or #3 team in the Big 12. Texas played evenly with UCONN for stretches, but this was an epic beatdown. While I felt badly for the Texas kids, as a UCONN fan I loved every moment of it.

And so glad the bench got some time in at the end and most all of them scored too!! Even tho the walk ons didn't score, Pulido grabbed a rebound and Lawlor a steal. They all made it on the stats sheet!

Reaction Score
Texas also lost a couple kids to season ending injuries. This was another game where Stokes came in and UConn took off on one of their patented runs where it goes from a 7 point lead to a 27 point lead in a matter of a few minutes.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Texas' biggest loss this year was by 17 to Baylor, in the midst of their injuries. No other loss was by more than 11. This was a total beatdown of a team that won two NCAA road games to get here. This game is a keeper. BTW that's wins by 56, 36 and 51 so far. AACs "cupcakes" are looking chewier every day.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Obviously, I was a glass house of emotion for this game. Texas is my alma mater, but UConn is my local team. Anyway, I thought UConn would win with relative ease (I think I called 15-20 points), but I sure didn't expect 51.

If Texas can come back healthy next season with their national top 10-caliber recruits, they should be pretty damn good.

Meanwhile, I am ecstatic with how well UConn played today. I remember the AAC tourney last year, during which the prevailing comment was, "If UConn can play like this in the tourney, they will be national champs". Well, if UConn can keep playing like they did today, the Huskies will be even more of a buzzsaw.

My one lament: Damn, K, how did you miss those open threes? You're only four away from the record! Oh well, maybe next round...

Reaction Score
An epic beatdown in every way. And UCONN just played terrific basketball in every aspect. A few observations...

Stewie was masterful. Her first half was spectacular. She played inspired hoops the entire game.

Moriah Jefferson is simply the best PG in the entire nation and it's not even close. She had a couple hiccups in the first half that Doris correctly pointed out, but she does whatever is needed and scores when left open.

Nurse had an interesting game. I thought Geno putting in Stokes for her in the first half was brilliant. Nurse was not contributing much at all (no points, no assists, no steals, etc) and she sure responded in the 2nd half.

Tuck was just so solid. one of her 3 point shots missed everything in the first half so she just made one later

And that brings me to Stokes. She was the game changer in the first half. When UCONN was only up by 7 she came in and blocked shots, altered things on defense, and was ... a game changer. Just a fantastic game by her.

Texas is a really good team. They have some really good players and a bright future. And UCONN rolled over them by 50+. People - this is the #2 or #3 team in the Big 12. Texas played evenly with UCONN for stretches, but this was an epic beatdown. While I felt badly for the Texas kids, as a UCONN fan I loved every moment of it.

And so glad the bench got some time in at the end and most all of them scored too!! Even tho the walk ons didn't score, Pulido grabbed a rebound and Lawlor a steal. They all made it on the stats sheet!
I am so glad that you acknowledged Stokes the way you did. It was so apparent to me and should be to everyone that her coming into the game when she did, completely changed everything. Pared with Stewie, her defense totally played with Texas's mind and completely shut down their offense. Prior to her coming in their offense looked pretty darn good but instantaneously they fell apart. Stokes presence affected their psyche and after a few minutes they were so tentative and discombobulated on the offensive side, that the game was pretty much over. Obviously hers and Stewie's defense helped feed the UConn offense and the rout was on. I can't say enough about Kiah. She is easily the defensive player of the year in women's college basketball. Definitely the Intimidator. She will be missed. Overall, a marvelous UConn effort. Moriah was great, Breanna was superb, KML was impressive.

Reaction Score

One thing that struck me was at about the 6:00 minute mark, Moriah came out of the game and they showed the bench. There was KML, Moriah, Breanna and Tuck on the bench and I think that everyone of those BENCH players should get consideration as All-Americans. I think three of them are deserving of first team consideration and Tuck is very close, as well. What an impressive sight!

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me was at about the 6:00 minute mark, Moriah came out of the game and they showed the bench. There was KML, Moriah, Breanna and Tuck on the bench and I think that everyone of those BENCH players should get consideration as All-Americans. I think three of them are deserving of first team consideration and Tuck is very close, as well. What an impressive sight!
When they showed that I thought they showed a nasty cut or something on Breanna's knee - anyone else see that?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
When they showed that I thought they showed a nasty cut or something on Breanna's knee - anyone else see that?

Didn't notice it but she did a headlong slide/fall into the lane early in the game where I thought she banged that knee in the floor - could have opened up as a cut or abrasion as the minutes passed

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn deserves FIVE players on the all-Regional Team: Stewart, Jefferson, KML, Tuck and......STOKES! Yes.

Reaction Score
Texas coach gave up before halftime. I didn't like that, but wow things were bad.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I guess the dangers of the Horns were very much exaggerated by certain posters, unless they just decided to help out the Husky mojo by trying to sound an alarm about dangers ahead. But yeah, this team is very special.

Reaction Score
My one lament: Damn, K, how did you miss those open threes? You're only four away from the record! Oh well, maybe next round...

When they mattered, she was 2 for 2. When the game was out of reach and you could say she was in stat padding, "Let's get this record over with" territory, she started missing. I think they'll need her to shoot it well in the next few games, so I'm not worried much.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Twas a great game... But, I'm still waiting for our first game against a totally healthy team. Then "no excuses."
There can be excuses every year. Last season UCONN was without Tuck. KML was injured for a bunch of games as well and probably a bit rusty when she had to come back twice. Injuries are part of the game.

And not to sound insensitive (this is not directed at you), but no one ever really remembers the injuries except the fans of the team who thinks they would have won it all had they been totally healthy. Just like the awful game UCONN played to beat Stanford Maya's junior year - all anyone remembers any more is that was UCONN's 7th NC...

Just like the year Sveta and Shea went down - I think it was Purdue or Tennessee who won it that year - we can say "yeah but we shoulda won if we'd been healthy". Bottom line is we didn't and someone else hoisted the trophy...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Stewie was masterful. Her first half was spectacular. . . "

She started the game awful slow and I said some not nice things to her. I apologized at the half though. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember the last time I cackled like this during the tourney, but two occasions that spring to mind are the regional semis against Iowa State in 2010 and the the first half of the regional finals against Kentucky in 2013.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember the last time I cackled like this during the tourney, but two occasions that spring to mind are the regional semis against Iowa State in 2010 and the the first half of the regional finals against Kentucky in 2013.
Kentucky in Bridgeport a few years ago comes too mind. 40 minutes of dried my .

Reaction Score
I guess the dangers of the Horns were very much exaggerated by certain posters, unless they just decided to help out the Husky mojo by trying to sound an alarm about dangers ahead. But yeah, this team is very special.
Heh. I read one of those and had a good chuckle. LOL

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just WOW!
Stewart and Jefferson were brilliant, but you rightly point to Kiah as the most important player.

(And Gabby is so good at those interior passes - her dime to Stokes was perfect.)
Gabby interior passing is at an elite level for the NCAA. Nobody does it better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Texas' biggest loss this year was by 17 to Baylor, in the midst of their injuries. No other loss was by more than 11. This was a total beatdown of a team that won two NCAA road games to get here. This game is a keeper. BTW that's wins by 56, 36 and 51 so far. AACs "cupcakes" are looking chewier every day.
I hope every top recruit from Texas was watching this game.

Reaction Score
Think it was the players not the coach.She is a feisty one.
In the beginning she was standing and coaching..... When things went bad she sat maybe halfway through the first half and never stood again and stopped coaching. Don't know exactly what time she sat but her change in coaching to me was very early on and very apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom