That was an ___kicking | Page 4 | The Boneyard

That was an ___kicking

Reaction Score
They play in the WCC... a perennial
2 bid league... and let’s face it... no matter what the defensive metrics say on kenpom they suck on defense. They routinely give up 85-90+ points to teams and try to outscore everyone. They beat Kansas 102-90 and Iowa 99-89... their 2 best wins. They also beat WVU 87-82... if you’re going to give up 85 points every night out to good teams you better hope your offense is firing on all cylinders. It wasn’t last night, weather that was because they were spent emotionally / physically from the final 4 game or they just ran into a superior team. I tend to think it’s the latter, but some may think it’s a combination of both.
Gonzaga did miss some open 3's, but that followed from being well defended all night and then "hearing footsteps" or waiting for the other shoe to drop by anticipating a block or a swatted ball (both of which happened during the game).

They never saw closeouts like that before. UCLA defended them well, but not like Baylor. Baylor found the seams in the zone either by Butler's ball handling and driving with the floaters, or just the made 3's from the open spots in the zone. Masterful ball movement and hot shooting.

If they played in the Pac 12, they would have incurred quite a few losses, but still would have a good record.

Baylor was just a better team and look what they did to Houston, no slouch team.

Reaction Score
In early December, I watched a back-and-forth heavyweight bout between Baylor & Illinois, until about 8 minutes left when Baylor created separation and then completely overpowered the Illini. This game was like that.
Nah brother this was over early LOL

Reaction Score
UCLA sucked the life out of Gonzaga. Their legs were dead. Not nearly the intensity of the UCLA game. Baylor’s better athletes took full advantage. Same game with 3/4 days’ rest, it’s another battle to the wire. But, that’s how the tourney is played. It’s about endurance too.
I think Baylor beats Gonzaga 7/10 times. The zags were probably a little gassed no doubt but Baylor is still the better team, not by small margin either.

Reaction Score
The record stays intact...no team not in the current Power 5 or current Big East...has won a NC in 30 years.
Also no team from the PAC or Big10 has won it in over 20 years.

Reaction Score
2018 Nova would have handled both Baylor and Gonzaga.
That 2018 Nova team was damn good and so was the 2016 team. In 2018 they curbstomped the field. I think both of those teams beat Baylor and Gonzaga. I was saying it the chat last night and I will say it again. Mr GQ, Jay Wright is the best coach in the country. Even this year, Nova, without Gillespie was leading Baylor for the first 30 minutes and they gave Baylor the toughest match in the tourny. Even with Gillespie, I think they would've eventually lost, but not having him certainly made things harder. That just speaks to Wright's coaching acumen that he kept that game close against Baylor this year. And Nova's 2018 and 2016 teams were way better than this year's team.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is a good team with a great coach. Think some people are giving them too much flack. Its hard to win championships.

I'm happy they got to make the Final Four after last year's tournament being cancelled and they should be a favorite to make it next year.
I think Gonzaga is getting too much flak, as well. This year's team is really damn good, but they ran into a team that was better. I was pulling for Gonzaga as well.

Reaction Score
Baylor was so in Gonzaga's head - how many dumb fundamental dribbling and passing TOs did the Zags have? They were seeing ghosts

Reaction Score
Baylor was so in Gonzaga's head - how many dumb fundamental dribbling and passing TOs did the Zags have? They were seeing ghosts
The Baylor pressure is real, and it gets in their head.

Reaction Score
Ya “you gave me a shot”’. 2 days ago I said that Gonzaga’s talent level was subpar and they had 1 legit pro prospect. You then told me what a bad take that was and that they had 3 lottery picks and Ayayi was also a top 20 pick as well. Talk about bad take of the weekend.

You: Still think Kispert is a first round pick?
Me: Yes
You: What a bad take.
Me: Do you want to bet that he's not a first round pick?
You: You have to bet that he's a lottery pick.
Me: Didn't you just ask me if i thought he was a first round pick?
You: yOuR mOvINg ThE gOaL pOsTs

This place is a magnet for morons lately.

Also, if you're going to try some kind of "gotcha" thing, at least be in the universe of what I said. I said Kispert is a "potential lottery pick." And guess what, genius, you can go online and find plenty of mock drafts that have him in the lottery, which would seem to support that he is "potentially" a lottery pick. I never said they had 3 lottery picks or that Ayayi was a top 20 pick. You're just making things up.

Beyond that, you're crushing it.

Reaction Score
You: Still think Kispert is a first round pick?
Me: Yes
You: What a bad take.
Me: Do you want to bet that he's not a first round pick?
You: You have to bet that he's a lottery pick.
Me: Didn't you just ask me if i thought he was a first round pick?
You: yOuR mOvINg ThE gOaL pOsTs

This place is a magnet for morons lately.

Also, if you're going to try some kind of "gotcha" thing, at least be in the universe of what I said. I said Kispert is a "potential lottery pick." And guess what, genius, you can go online and find plenty of mock drafts that have him in the lottery, which would seem to support that he is "potentially" a lottery pick. I never said they had 3 lottery picks or that Ayayi was a top 20 pick. You're just making things up.

Beyond that, you're crushing it.
There’s always a few bags in every group. I guess you’re one of them.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Gonzaga was not physically gassed from a game 2 nights earlier. These are young and highly conditioned athletes. Recovery over 48 hours is not an issue.
That’s just not true. If you hear these guys talk about the cramping etc that they go through, it as absolutely a factor.

Baylor is a better team, period, but you could tell Gonzaga they were depleted from Saturday. Youre talking about a knock down drag out game that went until midnight v UCLA ending with a huge emotional outpouring from a buzzer beater. By the time they are able to do the media, get out of the gym, get back to the hotel wind down and get to sleep, if at all, prob what, 4 or 5a...totally dehydrated and depleted...feet and bodies prob killing them

i think if they played on full rest you’re talking a very competitive game that Baylor wins by 5-10

Reaction Score
That’s just not true. If you hear these guys talk about the cramping etc that they go through, it as absolutely a factor.

Baylor is a better team, period, but you could tell Gonzaga they were depleted from Saturday. Youre talking about a knock down drag out game that went until midnight v UCLA ending with a huge emotional outpouring from a buzzer beater. By the time they are able to do the media, get out of the gym, get back to the hotel wind down and get to sleep, if at all, prob what, 4 or 5a...totally dehydrated and depleted...feet and bodies prob killing them

i think if they played on full rest you’re talking a very competitive game that Baylor wins by 5-10

Not to be a hardo but part of winning the NCAA tournament is usually winning more than one competitive game. I get your point but after 2011 I don't put a lot of stock in the "they were tired" stuff. And if an OT win over an 11 seed depleted them for the money game, then the best team really won. (I think Baylor was just better and would win a 7 game series pretty comfortably.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why do people get so angry about Gonzaga? This is a thread of totally irrational hostility.

Gonzaga had a great season, and laid an egg in the big game. It happens. This board is completely over the top in its hate of the Zags.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom