That was a big fat waste of time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That was a big fat waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And losing at end of first half with 43 secs from our 20 and we don't try a deep pass-- if catch --good, pass interference --good, interception--like a punt. But we didn't even try--happy to be getting ball first in 2nd half. We needed to take chances. We folded.

We weren't at the 20 we were at our own 4. If you are seriously suggesting we should have tried throwing deep in that spot you are nuts.

Reaction Score
I may have been too drunk by then to notice exactly where we were but on third down we weren't on the 4. No way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I may have been too drunk by then to notice exactly where we were but on third down we weren't on the 4. No way.

11. On third down - yeah that's what I'd focus on.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Saying we should have thrown it deep on that 3rd down is even sillier.

Reaction Score
Absolutely we should have tried it-- on a play action. For the reason you think we shouldn't --and Temple likely wouldn't have expected it--that's why you try it when you've been stymied for the entire half. Maybe it works. Maybe you get a field goal. Maybe not. But you have to take a shot there.

Reaction Score
I vote for a fake punt on 3rd down. Nobody would have expected that either.

Reaction Score
Verducci's lack of confidence of his players made his play calling so PREDICTABLE that Temple just stacked the line against the run. No doubt our o-line was outplayed but we were out coached as well. Playing not to lose is a recipe to lose badly.

You mean other than just last week?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Can someone advise why Max has not gotten meaningful carries all year? He really screwed that kid over this year. Newsome is too small to be used like he was this year

Reaction Score
I am pretty pleased with the improvements toward the end of the season, yesterdays game non-withstanding, Shireffs abscence caused alot of those pedestrian plays. We have to get more athletic and build some depth on the offensive side of the ball. Temple rushers were saying"you take the high road and I'll take the low road and we will meet at Newsome". It is disappointing that this game is the springboard to the bowl game. Not the best way to go forward.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is nuts. As I said in another similar thread, staff could have opened up wide and the result would have been a more open wide failure. Temple is be better than us on both sides of the ball. You might just have witnessed the only plan they felt would succeed with Boyle. Based on last week and last year and the year before, I think that they have practiced a "Boyle package", and this is it. His interception was an under-thrown fly with his receiver behind the D. Two other passes hit defenders in the hands. His threw at least 3 passes behind his receivers. He had a wide open mid-length sideline pass that he way over threw with no pressure on him. Get your minds around this. The staff has seen Anderson practice, and decided Boyle is a better QB. Like it or not, the better (hopefully) QB's are in the future. This team and coaching got us to a bowl game THIS YEAR, when nobody in their right mind expected it. Simmer down and have fun with it.
why is it nuts? Houston is better than Uconn as well. That didn't stop the team from providing Houston with their first loss.
clearly uconn worked on some plays because the first couple possessions included a wildcat and some snaps by GA.
Granted they didn't work well, but neither did having AN run into a maroon colored brick wall 35 times.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
why is it nuts? Houston is better than Uconn as well. That didn't stop the team from providing Houston with their first loss.
clearly uconn worked on some plays because the first couple possessions included a wildcat and some snaps by GA.
Granted they didn't work well, but neither did having AN run into a maroon colored brick wall 35 times.

Because it doesn't recognize at all that 1)Boyle is viewed by the staff to be better than Anderson (and Anderson isn't considered much of a QB or else they wouldn't be playing him at 5 other positions, unless you've been sneaking into practice and know better) 2) They did try some stretch plays for Boyle and he didn't execute them well at all 3)coaches have more at stake than you do and really don't try to lose and 4) Temple is better defensively than Houston which, by the way, we beat on D, not O. If you recall, our most dramatic play vs. Houston was almost a disaster when Boyle hit a defender in the hands which luckily deflected to Anderson. The main nutsiness of this thread is that it assumes that the O wasn't structured around getting the best out of Boyle at QB. It followed a week where we used just as conservative approach which worked. Obviously this was a Boyle plan despite the silly assumption in the thread that there was no "Boyle" offensive plan. Conservative as hell, yes, but Boyle's history demanded conservatism. The bottom line is that this year has given us way more than anyone thought was in the cards. Going forward, the hope is that one of the younger QBs can give us more than Sherriffs, who was certainly not the worst option we've ever had, or at least jump ahead of Boyle on the depth charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom