That was a big fat waste of time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

That was a big fat waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I said the coaches didn't do themselves proud tonight. I'm o.k. that it was uber conservative, but you need to adjust and if you can't run you need to throw. I also would have been o.k. if they wanted to see what TB could do. I think trying to put in a different offense was crap.

But we didn't lose because they tried something new and we didn't lose because we were too conservative. We lost because we couldn't run a lick. And that's not on coaches -- it's on the players.
Sorry, those off-tackle runs ARE their offense. If that is all you're willing to try you should have stayed home.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Defense played admirably.

Offensive game plan was once again, coaching malpractice. It was almost as if Diaco said 'we're bowl eligible, so why bother trying to win this game'.

Have been on the Boneyard for 15 years so have plenty of history. Many of you know me and know I bleed blue and white. Tonight felt like early last year...not trying to win at all..just trying to see what we have.

We have 25k season ticket holders. Tonight was a major reason why. No excitement, no creativity and no hope. That was pathetic. Love the players..hate the coaching and the game plan
What was he supposed to do differently? Boyle is unfortunately horrible. Temple's front seven manhandled our o-line. I would not have a problem with giving Anderson more snaps at center, but let's be honest here - there is a reason Boyle is number 2 on the depth chart. Temple was crushing us in the ground game and the only real shot was in the air - which we know was not happening.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Couldn't run and that's not on the coaches. Say what? When you run on every first down and don't throw one pass more than 5 yards down the field until the 4th quarter, how can you run when the defense knows what's coming. Yes there was some b ing but no that is not all on the players, the coaches gave them no chance to succeed with that predictable offense.
They did not throw downfield because Boyle is a TO waiting to happen. Every 5th throw is wildly erratic. He threw a screen-ish pass right to Matakevich - no clue what he was thinking on the play. It was like he was throwing with his eyes closed, the receiver had two guys on him and he almost put the ball in the LB's gut.

Reaction Score
If Urban Meyer was running the offense tonight we still weren't going to make a game of it.

We lost because we couldn't run a lick. And that's not on coaches -- it's on the players.

I want to cut you some slack on these comments out of respect--and a hope that the first is hyperbole and the second is sarcasm. If not, You've morphed into fantasy land.
I'll put Meyer and twenty other coaches---even Joe Moorhead--in charge of that offense and they could have come up with viable alternatives to running Newsome straight ahead on every 1st down--and straight ahead on both 4th and 1's--when the box was stacked just waiting for the snap.

And if you don't think we had the players --even with Boyle at the trigger --to generate even a few first downs with a modicum of coaching imagination then I'm concerned that this may actually be a cry for help on your part.

Reaction Score

Offensive game plan was once again, coaching malpractice. It was almost as if Diaco said 'we're bowl eligible, so why bother trying to win this game'.

Have been on the Boneyard for 15 years so have plenty of history. Many of you know me and know I bleed blue and white. Tonight felt like early last year...not trying to win at all..just trying to see what we have.

We have 25k season ticket holders. Tonight was a major reason why. No excitement, no creativity and no hope. That was pathetic. Love the players..hate the coaching and the game plan
Can't argue... After the 35th run up the middle for no gain you'd think the would try something else.
Chicken or the egg??? Uconn offense was so bad because of the temple defense, or the templ defense was so good because the offense was so bad.
Either way it sucked to watch.

Reaction Score

I also 100 % agree with comments above.

I am going to try to look for a bright spot and I know this may be a stretch but here we go. First I am a Diaco supporter. He has done things in the past ( many things last year, less this year) that have made me scratch my head. But he says ( and I am trusting his belief) that it is done for the best of the program in the long run. I am not sure of his exact reasons to play the game as he did last night, but I am going to trust him.

Not fun to watch, and I thought we could have done things differently to at least give us a chance to compete. I thought we had nothing to lose. Also understand about him possibly not trusting Boyle, and the offensive line did a poor job. Was just hoping after the big win over UH, that we would have a better showing.

I guess 2 weeks ago we would have all signed up for the last 2 results. So hopefully with a healthy BS and 15 more practices, we see a much improved offense in bowl game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Honestly, this is nuts. As I said in another similar thread, staff could have opened up wide and the result would have been a more open wide failure. Temple is be better than us on both sides of the ball. You might just have witnessed the only plan they felt would succeed with Boyle. Based on last week and last year and the year before, I think that they have practiced a "Boyle package", and this is it. His interception was an under-thrown fly with his receiver behind the D. Two other passes hit defenders in the hands. His threw at least 3 passes behind his receivers. He had a wide open mid-length sideline pass that he way over threw with no pressure on him. Get your minds around this. The staff has seen Anderson practice, and decided Boyle is a better QB. Like it or not, the better (hopefully) QB's are in the future. This team and coaching got us to a bowl game THIS YEAR, when nobody in their right mind expected it. Simmer down and have fun with it.

Reaction Score
I'm just gonna say it. Boyle needs to be no higher than third string in 2016. He's a deer in headlights every time he's under center. Plus the blatant lack of trust is understandably getting under his skin. I DO NOT want to hear Boyle's name and "second string" in the same sentence next season. I know it's a competition, but he's shown he can't hack it, and placing him second on the depth chart is basically saying he's better than four (or more) other quarterbacks on the roster by default (which isn't saying much). If Anderson is truly transitioning to fullback, then Davis needs to be number two next year. Period.

Even your backup is supposed to give your team a chance to win if Ohio State can win a national championship with a third string guy (bad comparison, I know). That evidently wasn't remotely the case for UConn on Saturday night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There does not exist an offensive package which would allow Tim Boyle to be successful against that defense playing with that offensive line.

I don't know what creativity will trump - snap, jailbreak, tackle... but I'm sure plenty here could design it.

Reaction Score
Boyle played better than we could have hoped. Tough to run an offense with the shackles on IMHO

Verducci's lack of confidence of his players made his play calling so PREDICTABLE that Temple just stacked the line against the run. No doubt our o-line was outplayed but we were out coached as well. Playing not to lose is a recipe to lose badly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Verducci's lack of confidence of his players made his play calling so PREDICTABLE that Temple just stacked the line against the run. No doubt our o-line was outplayed but we were out coached as well. Playing not to loose is a recipe to loose badly.

"Playing not to lose" is such a PP 2013 philosophy. Obviously, this team still isn't quite far enough removed from that yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not mad or upset, this year was amazing and no one predicted the finish that happened

I just don't get how you don't let Boyle fling....if he gets 5 INTs who cares, at least you tried
Agreed. It's as if they played not to lose, rather than playing to win.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is nuts. As I said in another similar thread, staff could have opened up wide and the result would have been a more open wide failure. Temple is be better than us on both sides of the ball. You might just have witnessed the only plan they felt would succeed with Boyle. Based on last week and last year and the year before, I think that they have practiced a "Boyle package", and this is it. His interception was an under-thrown fly with his receiver behind the D. Two other passes hit defenders in the hands. His threw at least 3 passes behind his receivers. He had a wide open mid-length sideline pass that he way over threw with no pressure on him. Get your minds around this. The staff has seen Anderson practice, and decided Boyle is a better QB. Like it or not, the better (hopefully) QB's are in the future. This team and coaching got us to a bowl game THIS YEAR, when nobody in their right mind expected it. Simmer down and have fun with it.
All true, but it was all plays called for someone else. Boyle can't throw on the run, so why force him to with your call?

Reaction Score
I thought 2 things. First this was early Edsall when he played a team he thought he couldn't beat. Reminded me of Miami or Vtech in the early 1a days. Second they had zero confidence in Boyle. He is #2 more by default because they don't want to risk Davis' redshirt rather than because he is good. Anderson is being converted to fullback which says it all for him. Next year it is Sherrif and Davis I think.

Reaction Score
That fourth and one call at the end of the first quarter was our season long clock mismanagement in a nutshell. Why we don't take the clock down to zero and talk about it between quarters was just baffling, mind-boggling stuff. So much to hate about last night but that one play just about summed it up for me. It's why we can't have nice things!! :)

Reaction Score
Verducci's lack of confidence of his players made his play calling so PREDICTABLE that Temple just stacked the line against the run. No doubt our o-line was outplayed but we were out coached as well. Playing not to lose is a recipe to lose badly.
So is it Verducci or Diaco that calls plays? I've seen some blame it all on Diaco and now other's blaming it on Verducci. So what is it?

Reaction Score
So is it Verducci or Diaco that calls plays? I've seen some blame it all on Diaco and now other's blaming it on Verducci. So what is it?
Verduci calls plays. Just don't ask Diaco that question though. He gave a ten minute answer last year that nobody understood

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
All true, but it was all plays called for someone else. Boyle can't throw on the run, so why force him to with your call?
Yeah, but he doesn't throw so great in the pocket either. :(

Reaction Score

Good question. From the look on the side line it seemed to me Diaco was more involved with the defense than the offense. Verducci called the offensive plays. I'm not putting everything on the coaches, surely "players don't execute" is a Randy Edsall favorite quote.

Reaction Score
Verducci committed coaching malpractice last night. I don't care how he feels about Boyle (and he doesn't think much) he still has to try. No screens, no reverses, run 22 up the middle. A joke. And losing at end of first half with 43 secs from our 20 and we don't try a deep pass-- if catch --good, pass interference --good, interception--like a punt. But we didn't even try--happy to be getting ball first in 2nd half. We needed to take chances. We folded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom