That thread about guitar pickers was such a success. . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That thread about guitar pickers was such a success. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Many of my favorites already mentioned, I'll add a few:

Roberta Flack
Kate Pierson
Anita Baker
Alanis Morissette
Macy Gray
Gwen Stefani
Etta James
Carly Simon
Heather Headley

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
In rock its Ann Wilson and Linda Ronstadt... powerful and beautiful voices. Bonnie Raitt in whatever category you want to put her in. Honerable mention to Stevie Nicks in her prime.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My mother's favorite female singer was a mostly forgotten jazz singer named Mildred Bailey. Mom would never go near a computer or the internet until my brother showed her what Napster was all about. As a lark she typed in Mildred Bailey and was stunned by all of the songs available. Mom's lucky the Internet police didn't get her, she turned into a Napster fool.

But let's face it, the best female pop singer was Karen Carpenter.

Reaction Score
Fleetwood Mac did have a great female singer at one time.

Her name is Christine McVie. Christine Perfect before her marriage.

(see youtube video from VH1, 1977, "You Make Lovin' Fun")
Always loved Fleetwood Mac, going back before any female band members, and Christine was very good. Like Stevie on a few tunes also. Tina Turner in the early 80s was a powerhouse.
A few more in the folk/rock genre... Wendy Waldman and Karla Bonoff (who wrote many of Linda Ronstadt's hits). KB played Infinity Music Hall in Norfolk a few weeks ago. Almost went. Last saw her perform at a small coffee house at San Diego State in 1978. Had many of the top LA studio guys with her that night. Great show.

Reaction Score
My mother's favorite female singer was a mostly forgotten jazz singer named Mildred Bailey. Mom would never go near a computer or the internet until my brother showed her what Napster was all about. As a lark she typed in Mildred Bailey and was stunned by all of the songs available. Mom's lucky the Internet police didn't get her, she turned into a Napster fool.

Surfing around YouTube I've found lots of stuff I'd never heard of that I really like, and Mildred Bailey is in that group. Also from that era or a little before, Libby Holman and Lee Morse.

Reaction Score
Janis Ian was definitely not a one hit wonder. Her album with Society's Child featured some wonderful lyrical music and that was at the age of 15 1/2. Later she sang "when I was 17" and one of her later albums featured a song called "Stars" that was magical. I love Natalie Merchant for her completely unique sound and I'm also a fan of Patty Griffin whose done some wonderful stuff. You gotta give Linda Ronstadt a lot of love as well. She's done a phenomenal amount of great stuff including some redo's on some great artists music that she may have exceeded. Aretha Franklin has done some magificent stuff and Celine Dion must have something because she played in Vegas for about 3 years. There are numerous women, some even locals (Florida) that have taken my breath away with their wondrous vocals. I know I'm missing some other greats but my brain doesn't retain a whole lot of information anymore.

You are right about Janis Ian creating some wonderful songs. I admire artists who shun commercial appeal for true craftsmanship and can only hope that these artists make enough to sustain themselves and their craft. In my youth, we lacked a radio with good FM reception and rarely purchased LPs. So Ms Ian only came to my attention via the AM radio airplay of Society's Child, and it was not until much, much later that I heard anything from her LPs.

Thank goodness for youtube. Listening to a bunch of old favorites, other songs from favorite artists that I'd never heard, and discovering favorites of others about whom I knew very little; all very enlightening.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

I can listen to The Carpenters for days on end.. Ironic, because I only became a fan recently, probably because pop music was not on my radar at all back in their heyday.. But her voice was fabulous, and she really knew how to use it. You could almost say she nailed every song she recorded, she was that good.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can listen to The Carpenters for days on end.. Ironic, because I only became a fan recently, probably because pop music was not on my radar at all back in their heyday.. But her voice was fabulous, and she really knew how to use it. You could almost say she nailed every song she recorded, she was that good.

What a sad story she was. So much talent. The Carpenters were born in CT, I think some shoreline town, but I think they moved away fairly young.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Born in New Haven, lived in East Haven.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
What a sad story she was. So much talent. The Carpenters were born in CT, I think some shoreline town, but I think they moved away fairly young.
New Haven.

She was 32 when she died of heart failure from complications of anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder that caused her to erroneously believe she had to lose weight.. Tragic indeed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not much of a female artist fan. About the only stuff I will buy/download/listen to nowadays is Crystal Bowersox and Grace Potter.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Grace
Not much of a female artist fan. About the only stuff I will buy/download/listen to nowadays is Crystal Bowersox and Grace Potter.
Grace Potter? You actually know about her? I guess that's two of us. I've been listening to her for about 5 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Grace
Grace Potter? You actually know about her? I guess that's two of us. I've been listening to her for about 5 years.
Yes. Saw GPN down in CT live last year. Great, great show. Can't wait for their new album to come out this summer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ironic, because I only became a fan recently, probably because pop music was not on my radar at all back in their heyday.

Same with me. I read an interview recently and while I forget the subject I do remember the guy saying, "The older I get, the more I appreciate the Carpenters."

While I try to put the thought of my age out of my head, it comes crashing back in often. Like when I was at the beach last month and the GF started rubbing suntan lotion unasked...on the top of my head. That was a first.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Admit it you were a Grace Jones fan back in the day.

Reaction Score
Just saw this thread (been busy offline :D )... but just last night I was listening to "On Yoolis Night" (CD) by Anonymous 4 (a chick vocal quartet). They sing all manner of (quite amazing) classical & medieval spiritual pieces. Described as "the sound of heaven."
Anonymous 4 - Hildegarda von Bingen

And for classical singers I'd also recommend Conchita Supervia. I'm not a big Opera fan per se, but Nimbus records had a project that recorded lots of old 78's (using thorns for the needles w/ digital conversions). A neat mix of technologies. 78's were actually direct-to-disc recordings (no tape) so they were superior to (later) LPs & 45's (in certain aspects anyway).
CARMEN - Habanera" - Conchita Supervia, 1931

Fleetwood Mac did have a great female singer at one time. Her name is Christine McVie. Christine Perfect before her marriage.
Christine Perfect was in Chicken Shack before moving over to F.Mac, getting married and becoming (real) famous. Chicken Shack was another (similar) British Blues band (w the great guitarist "Crazy" Stan Webb). But they never became as well known as British blues-based bands like F.Mac, Free, Savoy Brown, or Led Zep. (Even though they were as good as early Led Zep). I personally preferred the earlier (original) F.MAC (w Peter Green, another great guitarist).

Joni Mitchell has become sort of a running gag between one of my sons and us. His studio is in Sherman Oaks and he lives in Westwood in LA. He often calls me and my wife on his way home from work. His usual route home takes him past what is known locally as the "Joni Mitchell coffee house", so when he goes by it he'll break into a Joni Mitchell song.

Joni Mitchell's early (acoustic-solo) work, especially Ladies of the Canyon (& some live rare boots) is her best IMO. Her voice got tougher (with smoking) & she got musically more ambitious over the years, but the purity of those early recordings are really special. "For Free" (with headphones) is like having her (resonate) inside your being. BTW, she was a VERY excellent guitarist too.

I wasn't interested with the Carpenters that much at their peak... I was more into hard rock, progressive rock, & jazz (at the time). But years later I got a (special-rare) Hi-Tech pressing of some of their work... and Karen's voice is indeed amazing. Like Eva Cassidy, she had the ability to focus your entire conciousness with the emotional sublimity of her voice.

Hidden Gem: Eva Cassidy - Over the Rainbow Why you might have never heard of her: The Eva Cassidy Story
I don't think I've ever heard a song more enchanting then her version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" that completely blows away Judy Garland and everyone else I've ever heard sing that. A terrible loss to anyone who loves music. By the way, I found a version of "somewhere over the rainbow" on youtube that was totally awesome and gave me massive goosebumps.

I listen with headphones a lot and "Over the Rainbow" always brings tears. It's quite amazing. I'm a longtime fan. Thanks for the Nightline clip too... a sad story, well told.

Two other singers that remind me of her a bit (over-looked & great skills) are Ashley Cleveland (some Grammys after turning around a death struggle w drugs)... & Lydia Pense (Cold Blood). Pense auditioned at Bill Graham's Fillmore West in 1968 after being recommended to the rock impresario by Janis Joplin. She returned to performing a few years ago after raising her kids.
Ashley Cleveland - Gimme Shelter (live)

Lydia Pense - recent sample (live clip)

But... there are (many) others that have special magical musical gifts...

The Corrs are an Irish group (3 sisters & brother). Terrific modern pop. I was surprised to see a TON of (different) live versions of this cut on the web... I was only familiar with their CD stuff (first coming out in 1995). BTW... Wouldn't you prefer this kinda pop to a Madonna or Lady Gaga? ;)

Annie Haslam was the vocalist of Renaissance, a great progressive (classical rock) band from 69-78. They made a couple of live double albums (with symphonic backing) including one at Carnegie Hall. Yet their studio albums could be as rocking as any band too. Annie has the voice of an angel. These live versions are w/o the orchestra (just the band), and what's amazing is she still has the magic 20 years later.
Renaissance Carpet of the Sun 1977 (live)

Annie Haslam - Carpet of the Sun (Live ...1997)

Beth Nielsen Chapman (songwriter & singer) has put out a number of excellent albums over the years. She wrote this for her husband (who died)... so it echoes a bit of the ethos of Eva Cassidy.
Beth Nielsen Chapman - Sand and Water - Live

Interview here where she talks about the music business & life.

Eddie Reader is another terrific (lesser known) UK vocalist. The 2 or 3 songs I wanted weren't online... but this is equally good:
Eddi Reader - Allelujah - Live At The Basement

JAZZ... a few of my faves that mix jazz & pop stylings:

Madeleine Peyroux has become more well known in recent years, but this Patsy Cline cover from her debut album is great: the (stereo) leslied organ... guitar break... and her Billie Holiday vocal style.
Madeleine Peyroux - Walkin' After Midnight

Holly Cole - Since 1989 she's been putting out excellent albums. Most of her work is in the jazz genre although she's crossed over into pop-jazz, AOR-pop, and alternative-pop as well.
Holly Cole - Calling You

Holly Cole - Calling You (Live)

Holly Cole - I Can See Clearly Now (at the St.Denis Theatre in Montreal)

Lisa Ekdahl is a Swedish vocalist who made an overnight impact when her debut album sold a half-million copies in Europe. Her delicate voice is childlike with a charm that echoes Billie Holiday. She's recorded many albums and sold huge amounts in Europe.
Lisa Ekdahl - I'm A Fool To Want You

Lisa Ekdahl - Give Me That Slow Knowing Smile (live)

Norah Jones (daughter of Ravi Shankar) has become a star & more well-known than all the above singers. But one of the best things she's done was "American Anthem" for the Ken Burns documentary WW-2. With Memorial Day upon us it's even more timely here. It made me cry watching the film. These clips do the same. The photos are of the people who's personal family stories were told in the film.

WW2: American Anthem by Norah Jones (3/3)

WW2: American Anthem by Norah Jones (2/3)

WW2: American Anthem by Norah Jones (1/3)

I have some additional comments on Rock singers too... stand by :eek: :)

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Great post Jack!

Looking forward to hearing from you re. Rock singers.. Maybe you will discuss a major omission from the thread so far: Patti Smith.

Reaction Score
Joan Jett, Annie Lennox, KT Tunstall, Kevin Cronin, Pat Benatar and the chick from the Cranberries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom