That FSU squeaker in Tallahassee... | The Boneyard

That FSU squeaker in Tallahassee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
...is starting to look less and less like a shaky victory. The Seminoles have climbed back into the top 10 by virtue of not losing any more games, oftentimes thrashing opponents from power conferences.

Subsequent double-digit victories over Baylor, ND, and DePaul, have emphatically vaulted UConn to the #1 ranking, so UConn has done more than its part to assuage early concerns. But at this point, FSU is inadvertently and indirectly demonstrating that the aftermath of the UConn game goes beyond "a win is a win". It was a very good win at that- the first of what could be many. To be continued...

Reaction Score
It is a very good win. At first, you could chalk it up to the game being the first for Connecticut's team as they are now and playing on the road against a team that had home court advantage. But we now know that wasn't the case. Florida State is a very good team with some underrated players like Slaughter, Brown and White. They also have athletic Shakayla Thomas and steady Romero and have been blowing teams out. They played UCONN to buzzer minus Romero. They are a team to be reckoned with. Notre Dame....watch out!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
...is starting to look less and less like a shaky victory. The Seminoles have climbed back into the top 10 by virtue of not losing any more games, oftentimes thrashing opponents from power conferences.

Subsequent double-digit victories over Baylor, ND, and DePaul, have emphatically vaulted UConn to the #1 ranking, so UConn has done more than its part to assuage early concerns. But at this point, FSU is inadvertently and indirectly demonstrating that the aftermath of the UConn game goes beyond "a win is a win". It was a very good win at that- the first of what could be many. To be continued...

This is the FSU team that people expected to show up last year but somehow never did. Granted, they haven't exactly gone against top-flight competition since the UConn game, but the wins over Gonzaga, Michigan, and Florida were convincing.

I do look forward to seeing the FSU-Notre Dame matchup in ACC play. (This year they play in South Bend.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is all still a bit vague - FSU's best win is only against #23 Florida who may actually drop from the rankings after their loss. Their best game is their loss to Uconn so whether they are really top ten or just top twenty is not based on any real game evidence - they haven't screwed up by losing to an unranked team and they haven't played anyone else in the top twenty.
Same goes for Miss State - best win is against a 2-4 Texas team currently ranked 17 who has played a killer schedule but hasn't won any game against anyone in the rankings. Beyond that game against TX that looked better when it happened than since, Miss State hasn't played another ranked team and struggled to a 4 point win on the road against an unranked Iowa State
There could be a lot of movement in and out of the back half of the top ten when those teams and others get to the conference schedules because they haven't proven much in their OOC.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is the FSU team that people expected to show up last year but somehow never did. Granted, they haven't exactly gone against top-flight competition since the UConn game, but the wins over Gonzaga, Michigan, and Florida were convincing.

I do look forward to seeing the FSU-Notre Dame matchup in ACC play. (This year they play in South Bend.)

Actually, I should take one thing partially back. The FSU game vs. Michigan on a neutral court was very close until the 4th quarter, when FSU finally pulled away a bit.

Reaction Score
Olympian Letitia Romero did not play vs Connecticut, a disadvantage for FSU....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Romero didnt play against UConn and UConn has Nurse playing at a different level. I have to wonder if FSU would be undefeated playing UConns early schedule. Both teams have improved however I think UConn has improved more. FSU ND will be a very good game .

Reaction Score
Gabby, Lou and Kia really didnt play that well. Foul trouble and the first game with a whole new lineup. This team is growing up fast and it is fun to watch. Notre dame has been owning thee ACC but yhis year Florida St. and Duke could be interesting! I love Greenwells game and Odom is a tough matchup!

Reaction Score
The FSU-ND match-up is the last regular season game on their schedules. They only play each other the one time, in South Bend. The conference season champ may be settled by that late date, but the game will still matter as a "statement" before the ACC tournament, its affect on the poll rankings, and possibly impact on tournament seedings.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was impressed by FSU making comebacks at least twice when we opened a 6 or 8-point lead late.

I think they are about a top 6-8 team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After my posting above, I do think FSU is a good team and showed both balance and fortitude against Uconn. I think that it was the first game for Uconn helped them and I think Uconn was a better team for that game and much improved by the time they played Baylor just a few days later - but they play a tough game, so kudos.

But I think there are a bunch of teams that are looking less than great early, but are being given the benefit of expectations - Louisville for example really struggled against Western KY at home so wins against them by MD and SC are maybe a little less significant. TX struggling with TN yesterday at home, the same - Uconn, Miss State, Stanford, and SC wins look a little less impressive, etc. And ND struggles against GB and DePaul makes the Uconn win maybe a little less impressive.

It is so hard to judge what is happening early in seasons as teams deal with changing line-ups and unknown opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom