• Day of

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Day after

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you a "love the feast" or a "give me the leftovers" person?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
you gotta have day one in order to have day two - sequence of increasing pleasure:)

Reaction Score
Leftovers are good, but there is something about smelling the aroma of the food cooking all day and then sitting down to eat it. Plus with 4 college aged kids at my table, we don't have too much in the way of leftovers anymore!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Have to go with the day of Thanksgiving because in my house (20+ guests), there usually is not much left over. Pie hoarding has become a skill born out of necessity.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm OK with leftovers for one day. After that, I'd really rather just cook another bird.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Neither.
as a family holiday I love thanksgiving. As a culinary holiday, it sucks. All these traditional dishes are meh, and don't get me started on my disdain for turkey. If thanksgiving style turkey was such a gastronomic delight why aren't people ordering it in restaurants all the time? Because it sucks, that's why. I don't care how it's prepared, it's still turkey. There is a reason it is 49 cents a pound.
And the sides? People like the sides because you only have them once a year, but if they were so great why only have them once a year? Because again, they suck!

:)

</ my traditional thanksgiving rant>

Reaction Score
Neither.
as a family holiday I love thanksgiving. As a culinary holiday, it sucks. All these traditional dishes are meh, and don't get me started on my disdain for turkey. If thanksgiving style turkey was such a gastronomic delight why aren't people ordering it in restaurants all the time? Because it sucks, that's why. I don't care how it's prepared, it's still turkey. There is a reason it is 49 cents a pound.
And the sides? People like the sides because you only have them once a year, but if they were so great why only have them once a year? Because again, they suck!

So, so flawed. If your thinking held any water, then cheeseburgers and French fries are high class delights because you order them every day.

You do not want to go toe to toe on this one, Bubie. You will lose.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Neither.

I have to disagree, although I also understand where you are coming from. First of all, one of the reasons people don't make it more often is that properly prepared turkey takes 24 to 36 hours of prep. If you aren't brining your turkey for at least 24 hours, you're wasting your time. Then you have to get up early to prepare stuffing. Stuffing is one of those sides I think you're referring to that you only make once a year. Well, stuffing is only great if it's roasted in the turkey. Any other stuffing isn't worth eating. After preparing the stuffing you then have to wait 4 to 6 hours depending on the size of the bird for it to cook and another 30+ minutes of rest time after cooking. The reason it's a once a year meal is that is incredibly time consuming. Same reason you can't get it in restaurants. The time involved to do it right would make it more expensive than filet mignon and lobster tail.

Like turkey for thanksgiving, I tend to only make my spaghetti sauce or chicken soup once or maybe twice a year because they are too time consuming. It takes me two days for either, but fortunately they are the only two things I can think of that you can freeze excess and reheat and it's as good or better than the day of serving. Therefore I make huge batches.

The bottom line, a properly prepared turkey is pretty damn good. A thawed bird tossed in a few hours before meal time that isn't stuffed does in fact suck. When people are done eating here, they are miserable for the next couple hours because they always eat way more than they should cause they can't stop. That's the sign of great turkey - miserable people. If you have room for pie within two hours of finishing a turkey dinner, you haven't prepared the bird properly.

August_West

Reaction Score
Deepster said:
So, so flawed. If your thinking held any water, then cheeseburgers and French fries are high class delights because you order them every day. You do not want to go toe to toe on this one, Bubie. You will lose.

Please. A great cheeseburger would up the thanksgiving food ante, so thank you.

Oh, a properly cooked turkey, 36 hours? No thanks. If I am going to work. I'll take a 12 hour brisket on the smoker, and use the extra 24 hours to relax and drink scotch.
Frickin turkey,
I've brined it
Smoked it
Stuffed it
Fried it

It's still turkey!

Trolling thanksgiving is a hobby of mine. People are passionate about that bird!! :)

Reaction Score
Eh, brisket is only good when done right. And unless you have a pretty serious rig, it usually isn't done right and comes out like a smokey tasting piece of shoe leather.

Besides you don't get my moms stuffing next to a piece of brisket.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Neither.

This is one of the lamest attempts at logic I have read. People eat turkey cold cuts/ burgers regularly. When is the last time you cooked a whole side of beef?

The amount of butter that goes into preparing sides for thanksgiving keep many of them to a once a year experience.

I don't brine turkeys but still get lots f compliments. My trick is when the birds have about an hour left- about the time when people put on a foil tent- I put a whole package of raw bacon on top. Keeps the breast super moist.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This thread would be a killer in the summertime! So much anticipation!

August_West

Reaction Score
tdrink said:
This is one of the lamest attempts at logic I have read. People eat turkey cold cuts/ burgers regularly. When is the last time you cooked a whole side of beef? The amount of butter that goes into preparing sides for thanksgiving keep many of them to a once a year experience. I don't brine turkeys but still get lots f compliments. My trick is when the birds have about an hour left- about the time when people put on a foil tent- I put a whole package of raw bacon on top. Keeps the breast super moist.
How's this logic. As a concession to me and my brother ( who has similar disdain for the poverty bird) my mom cooks up a hotel style prime rib. Guess what gets eaten first? Plenty of the foul fowl leftover but the prime rib is gone.

Reaction Score
Mmm. Prime Rib. Sign me up for a big plate of bloody fat.

Reaction Score
So, so flawed. If your thinking held any water, then cheeseburgers and French fries are high class delights because you order them every day.

You do not want to go toe to toe on this one, Bubie. You will lose.
You didn't express a preference...

Reaction Score
Depends on the host (i.e. their cooking skills). My wife:both. My father day one, can't stomach 2 days of his food.

Reaction Score
How's this logic. As a concession to me and my brother ( who has similar disdain for the poverty bird) my mom cooks up a hotel style prime rib. Guess what gets eaten first? Plenty of the foul fowl leftover but the prime rib is gone.

1) Unless she's cooking a 13 pound rib roast, it's a matter of volume, not taste.
2) Prime Rib is what people who don't like good meat eat when they eat beef. Taking a cut of meat that requires cooking over an open flame to produce flavor and cooking it in the oven is a terrible sin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Turkey Tetrazinni! The best part of Thanksgiving.
Do you have a recipe that you can PM me? I've been looking for a good one.

Reaction Score
Sure, when I get home. Look Tuesday or WednesdayWednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member